Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A red rubber sponge?

(43 Posts)
CherryPits Tue 22-Dec-15 15:37:26

My MIL has given me a red plastic sponge for Christmas. I know this because we live overseas and she sent it so I peeked. Normally we do not exchange gifts between adults, only for the kids and I'm happy with that arrangement.

AiBU to be a bit [humm] about a crappy red plastic sponge? It's a bit of an insult, isn't it?

BTW, She is not hard up at all, she's very flush. But like I said I don't usually exchange gifts with her and really don't want one.

Am I moaning needlessly? I fear I might be.

OddSocksHighHeels Tue 22-Dec-15 15:52:54

I'd be glad you didn't have to open it in front of her and have to act happy about the sponge. Is she known for being a bit eccentric?

SquinkiesRule Tue 22-Dec-15 16:19:59

What the heck? Is is some sort of designer dish washing sponge?

GreatFuckability Tue 22-Dec-15 16:23:17

What is a,plastic sponge??

magimedi Tue 22-Dec-15 16:25:34

I bet the sponge is protective packaging & there's something lovely inside it!

MissMalteser Tue 22-Dec-15 16:25:34

Surely it can't be plastic and a sponge? Post a pic?

SquinkiesRule Tue 22-Dec-15 18:34:49

Yes we need a picture

CherryPits Tue 22-Dec-15 19:12:44

I was so cross I have binned it. No one had answered this at the time and I was in a huff. Sorry.

It was an oval shaped sponge. The kind my granny might have kept in the tub in the 1970s. You know, not a natural sponge a man-made sponge.

Ug.

YakTriangle Tue 22-Dec-15 19:15:01

Literally just a bath sponge that you can buy for 20p? Utterly thoughtless and vaguely insulting.

CherryPits Tue 22-Dec-15 19:18:48

YES YakTriangle, thank you. Vaguely insulting it is!

Bailey101 Tue 22-Dec-15 19:21:28

Has she got form for criticising your housekeeping? Very odd present confused

MamaLazarou Tue 22-Dec-15 19:22:51

Have a quick sniff of your armpits, OP: she's trying to tell you something! grin

Birdsgottafly Tue 22-Dec-15 19:25:05

Well, it's a least a festive colour.

CwtchMeQuick Tue 22-Dec-15 19:28:07

She paid postage overseas for a sponge?! confused
Are you sure there was nothing else in it?

I got my friend a gift of a christmas tree shaped washing up sponge a few weeks ago and even I think this is odd

Notrevealingmyidentity Tue 22-Dec-15 19:38:47

It wasn't one of those make up blending sponges was it ? here

CherryPits Tue 22-Dec-15 19:48:28

We live overseas so she has no idea what my armpits smell like or what my housekeeping is like.

I think she's just a bit peculiar.

It went into a package with things for the kids, which were all very light. It won't have added to the postage a sponge now, would it? Not even an ounce.

I'm just not going to acknowledge she sent it at all. I've thanked her for the Christmas card and my DH can thank her for the kids gifts. End of conversation.

JeanSeberg Tue 22-Dec-15 19:49:58

What happened to graciously accepting presents and keeping one's thoughts to oneself.

CherryPits Tue 22-Dec-15 19:51:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Are you sure it wasn't packing material or something like that?

hesterton Tue 22-Dec-15 19:54:28

Wrote a huge and enthusiastic letter thanking her for the marvellous sponge. List 100 things you plan to do with it. I'm sure I can help with the first few...

1. Contraception - soaked in vinegar as they used to - now you have had 2 children and have room for this.

2. Sew it into rhe gusset of your husband's underwear to protect his soft dangle underparts.

3. Take it with you on holiday in case of tsunamis.

4. Create a gerbil high jump course using it as a crash mat.

CherryPits Tue 22-Dec-15 19:56:14

Excellent list herston, thank you.

TakeMeUp... it was wrapped separately, with my name on it.

Oh jesus

At least it didn't say "WASH YOUR ARSE WITH THIS CHERRY PITS "

PansyGiraffe Tue 22-Dec-15 20:00:31

Love the list. Send it topped and tailed with gushing gratitude and, since it was such a good present, make sure she gets one every birthday and Christmas until, well, death or a WTF conversation.

youngestisapsycho Tue 22-Dec-15 20:00:57

Maybe she has hidden some jewellery inside?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now