Talk

Advanced search

To be irrationally annoyed with shopkeeper

(30 Posts)
lexigrey Tue 22-Dec-15 15:19:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheWitTank Tue 22-Dec-15 15:22:52

Some people struggle to see the little screen (I have a customer who I help with this) or are uneasy using their card (my nan!). It's part of the script at the local big store to seem polite and stay engaged with the customer.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 22-Dec-15 15:23:11

I expect they're on autopilot.

Although I'm getting bored of being told bags are 5p. I read the news. I am aware.

I just smile vaguely. Covers all events.

notquitehuman Tue 22-Dec-15 15:25:09

When I worked on a checkout I found that the majority of people would just stand there gawping if you didn't prompt them! Yes you may know what to do, but a surprising amount of people don't. And you've gotta keep the crowd moving.

SuperT3d Tue 22-Dec-15 16:43:08

YABU the number of customers incapable of managing basic tasks near the till (enter the correct card, correct pin and manage to remove the card. Let's not forget the problems they have with locality cards) vastly out number those who can. We can only progress as fast as our most dim witted customer ;-p

wasonthelist Tue 22-Dec-15 16:47:39

YANBU OP it's the equivalent of "please take out your purse, now take a £20 note, and hand it to me" - on the other hand, as some folks have said, being asked to pay at the till/checkout does seem to come as huge surprise to a number of my fellow customers, who then spend ages seeking their purse/wallet.

ghnocci Tue 22-Dec-15 16:50:47

Ok. I am customer facing with a C&P machine. I tell every customer when to enter their pin and remove their card because when you don't, an awful lot of people stand there staring into space doing nothing. If they wait too long the transaction eventually times out and you have to start it all again. I learnt early on it's better to prompt people even if that means irritating the ones who do know that they're doing. Sorry.

Sparklingbrook Tue 22-Dec-15 16:58:54

YY I think they do it because of all the gawping people who's minds are elsewhere. especially around Christmas. For every person that takes the card out I bet one leaves it in the machine.

That said Contactless does at least get rid of it all unless spending a lot.Perfect.

sophie150 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:01:07

I have to admit that I am guilty on the odd occasion of getting distracted (thinking about where I'm going next, stopping my child from screaming etc) and needing a prompt- particularly where it's a slow machine

That's why I love contactless- just swipe and go- no waiting! And I don't have to annoy you op gringrin

DieSchottin93 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:01:31

YABU, as previous posters have pointed out some people are incapable of following basic instruction and try to enter their PIN too early (or wait too long and it times out fangry ) or they take their card out too early which voids the transaction so you have to do the whole bloody thing again. When we do cashback you have to press enter to accept the amount before it allows you to put in your PIN and sooooo many people don't seem to read that bit. Trust me if you spent a week on the other side of the tills you would understand grin We also get a lot of elderly customers in the shop I work at who need step-by-step instructions on how to the use card readers, bless 'em

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 22-Dec-15 17:07:36

I used to work in a shop. Until the system was changed so that the receipt didn't print until the card was removed we had ~ 4 cards left behind every single day.
People did need reminding to get out money and cards, and to insert said card and enter pin.... I've had people state at me blankly as if I'm supposed to remember their pin for them! As for asking them if they want a bag - its not a mastermind question, yet it sure does baffle a lot of people.
Congratulate yourself on being one of the very few people who doesn't turn into a zombie when arriving at a check out.

BlueJug Tue 22-Dec-15 17:12:16

I needed prompting today as I was so distracted. Apologised as I stared like an imbecile at the counter in some sort of other worldly state. She was polite and lovely.

In Smiths the man in front asked for a bag for two greetings cards and was horrified to be told it would cost him 5p. Said he didn't need one in that case and, affronted, put the cards in his big pocket - as indeed he should have done.

OnlyLovers Tue 22-Dec-15 17:19:16

I think often it's to fill the new silence/inactivity that's been created by chip and PIN.

There was always a bit of social interaction and some gestures (handing you a pen, saying 'Can you sign here please?' etc) that now feels like a slightly awkward hiatus that needs filling with nervous chat.

Having said that, occasionally when I shuffle out to the shop first thing before coffee, I DO stand and stare vacantly like someone from Shaun of the Dead and am very grateful for a bit of gentle prompting.

Viviennemary Tue 22-Dec-15 17:24:58

Blame people like me and not the shop assistants. I sometimes have to be prompted to enter my pin and sometimes forget my card. They're only doing their jobs. I

Sparklingbrook Tue 22-Dec-15 17:27:32

When I use self service I can't hold my purse while scanning and packing and arguing with the scanner. So I have to scan then look in my handbag for my purse. Sorry if that holds someone up by 5 seconds.

Amummyatlast Tue 22-Dec-15 17:51:30

One think I dislike about chip and pin is that you can go though the whole transaction without actually looking at the shop assistant. So I don't mind if they prompt me as it gives me the opportunity to smile at them (which I try to do even if they don't say anything to me).

OnlyLovers Tue 22-Dec-15 17:52:39

Yes, I agree, Amummy. The awful thing is that, if I'm busy/distracted etc, I do sometimes do the transaction, leave the shop and only then realise that I didn't even look at the other person. blush

I try very hard NOT to do that.

TheEmmaDilemma Tue 22-Dec-15 17:53:16

When I need a bag (rarely) these days I say 'can I have a 5p bag please' to save them the trouble... grin

jorahmormont Tue 22-Dec-15 17:54:41

Some people want to wait for their receipt before they take out their card. I have to prompt them because it doesn't work like that, and they mutter a hasty "I know!" as if I've just told them the sky is blue hmm

But the customer is always right. Even when they're a blithering idiot.

LovelyFriend Tue 22-Dec-15 18:28:26

"Have you scanned your Sparks card?" Is the most ragey thing a machine has ever said to me.

OnlyLovers Tue 22-Dec-15 18:30:13

It IS, isn't it Friend?!

I rarely shop at M&S and, TBH, that fucking voice doesn't make me more inclined to start doing it more.

Pidapie Tue 22-Dec-15 18:54:29

It really annoys me too :p

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Tue 22-Dec-15 18:58:38

Yabu

I work in customer service. People are far more stupid than you could believe possible.

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 22-Dec-15 19:06:41

Friend you are right about m&s. It doesn't need to sound so bloody chirpy about it either!

eurochick Tue 22-Dec-15 19:09:10

It irritates me too OP. They had this system in Belgium when I lived there years ago and no one ever feels the need to prompt people there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now