Talk

Advanced search

Midnight Mass with a baby

(23 Posts)
AquaticCat Tue 22-Dec-15 11:22:19

Since moving I have not been to church but intend for my baby to be baptised. AIBU to go to Midnight Mass with a baby when I am not a regular visitor and have not been to this church before? If my DC cries then I will leave but I am not sure what the protocol is.

lastqueenofscotland Tue 22-Dec-15 11:24:41

I think it depends on the church.

Ours is very laid back (read: full of drunks who decided belting out oh come all te faithful on the way back from the pub looked fun), I've been to others where it was very mass like. Definitely no small children.

I can't help thinking Christmas morning might be better (they are less busy where I live than MM) and will be much more child/parent friendly

shinynewusername Tue 22-Dec-15 11:26:03

Assume you mean a babe in arms? I think that's fine as may well sleep through but - to save yourself and the rest of the congregation angst - sit at the end of a pew so that it is easy to escape if LO starts to kick off.

Many churches have an area where you can jiggle a baby without disturbing the service - ask the people handing out orders of service as you arrive.

And Happy Christmas fsmile

AquaticCat Tue 22-Dec-15 11:28:39

Thank you and I might give them a call to ask. DC is 7 months old, so will either sleep or quickly leave with me. fsmile

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-Dec-15 11:30:00

Our local church has a really lovely crib service on christmas eve that is for children, and would be much more suitable for taking a baby to. Maybe look for one of those?

Helenluvsrob Tue 22-Dec-15 11:30:08

Gosh, I feel sad that you even have to ask! You should be welcome in church with a baby all the time smile

Happy Christmas

Ohbehave1 Tue 22-Dec-15 11:30:32

Why not try a more child friendly service. Most churches have one earlier in the evening for young children so it is less likely a waking baby will cause any issues.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Tue 22-Dec-15 11:32:41

Our church doesn't have midnight mass any more it is at 9pm. Everyone is welcome. Our priest tells us not to take noisy children out. If it is someone new he will find them after the mass to tell them that.

Headmelt Tue 22-Dec-15 11:41:10

Most Churches have an Earlier 'Midnight Mass' for people with young children. I think most Religions are welcoming to everyone who wants to partake so you don't need to ask to attend. I would go early because Christmas & New Years are usually busier and more crowded.

philosophicmum Tue 22-Dec-15 11:44:01

A baby - yes, definitely. If you can't bring a baby to Midnight Mass when can you bring a baby to church? And they'll probably sleep through it all anyway. I mean, if they're screaming the place down then go to the back or the porch for a bit, but come back once they go from howling to grizzling.

That said, I'm taking my toddler to the earlier service this year because a hysterical overtired 2yo is just no fun for anyone. But when he was a baby I took him.

TimeToMuskUp Tue 22-Dec-15 11:45:49

Our church does Christingle at 4pm Christmas Eve which I take the DCs to each year, and mass at 11pm. If the DCs are still awake at that time I take them too, as the people there are lovely and friendly to little ones. Take the baby with you and enjoy your Christmas Eve.

AuntieStella Tue 22-Dec-15 11:46:37

The last time I went to a Midnight Mass was when the eldest was a babe in arms (and was still awake/asleep/feeding at random, and didn't know it was the middle of the night).

I cannot think of a single reason why not to take a baby.

cleaty Tue 22-Dec-15 11:46:58

Yes depends on the church. Most churches though are fine. And they are used to getting strangers attend for mass on Christmas Eve, either those away from home, or who only go to church for big Christian festivals.

This priest thinks babies in church at Midnight Mass are a blessing. If one turns up this year I would love to borrow him/her (with the parent's permission of course) and give the final blessing with babe in arms. Mine are all too old now but did sub for the baby Jesus when they were tiny.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Tue 22-Dec-15 12:23:19

It's probably the most appropriate service in the Church calendar for taking a baby to.

Enjoy smile

shinynewusername Tue 22-Dec-15 12:24:19

Let's face it, it will probably be your last opportunity to get to Midnight Mass for 14 years or so, so I say go for it!

Madnessmouse Tue 22-Dec-15 12:32:13

I went with 9 month old who pretty much slept through, it was fine :-)

AquaticCat Tue 22-Dec-15 12:50:30

Thanks everyone and I will go, as I can always leave if it is a problem or she won't settle.

Happy Christmas to you all. fsmile

IndridCold Tue 22-Dec-15 13:02:23

We have taken DS to midnight mass every year since he was one with no problems. Our church has books and toys for children but we have never needed them.

LillyBugg Tue 22-Dec-15 13:04:29

I took a 7 month old to a St George's day service. I was very welcomed but omg I never realised how silent churches are in the quiet bits of the service?! I left after five mins because my nerves couldn't take it! If baby is asleep you'll be fine.

wigglesrock Tue 22-Dec-15 13:09:55

Our mass is at 6.30pm or 9.00pm on Christmas. There's always loads of babies/kids at them. Ours gets really busy, so get there early, someone will always move for you to sit down with the baby on your knee but it can be very cramped.

breezydoesit Tue 22-Dec-15 13:38:40

Do they not have a "cry chapel?" It's like a smaller bit at the side of the main bit that's enclosed? I'm Catholic and many chapels have tbwm

DinoSnores Tue 22-Dec-15 13:55:15

thegreenheart, that sounds just lovely and very touching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now