Talk

Advanced search

To not want my 4.5 yr old to watch Star Wars

(36 Posts)
TheReferoo Mon 21-Dec-15 17:08:58

He's desperate to see it, DH is desperate to take him. Lots of his reception age friends have been to see it. I think he's too young. Mumsnet Jury - should he be allowed to go?!

Hatethis22 Mon 21-Dec-15 17:13:05

I'd let him go as long as your DH realises that he's likely to miss bits of the film taking him to the loo and will have to bring him home if he gets upset or bored.

PeteAndManu Mon 21-Dec-15 17:14:20

We've been debating this as DS is 9 but his brother and sister are 5.5. We're going to see it with just DS1, I think it will be too much for one of them, especially on a cinema screen, and I'd prefer to see it first to check it out. Opinion is divided between my friends, some have taken them and others have been 'No way.'

5madthings Mon 21-Dec-15 17:17:49

My older four, 7, 10, 13 and 16 have seen it.

The just five year old hasn't, dh thinks it's too long for her to sit through more than too scary.

Lots of friends have taken similar age children. It depends on the child.

ZedWoman Mon 21-Dec-15 18:18:29

DS at that age would have loved it. DD is 5.10 and she is a total wimp when it comes to films. She cried at the minion movie FFS.

DH took DS and I stayed at home and made a sparkly tiara with DD. fenvy

TheReferoo Mon 21-Dec-15 19:51:37

Hmm I am not sure an offer of making a sparkly tiara will cut it, sadly grin

SweepTheHalls Mon 21-Dec-15 19:54:50

We took ou

SweepTheHalls Mon 21-Dec-15 19:56:15

We took our nearly 5 yr old at 7yr old. He got a bit scared a couple of times, but enjoyed it and would have been gutted to be left out.

TimeToMuskUp Mon 21-Dec-15 19:57:10

DS2 is 2 weeks shy of 5 and saw it on Thursday. No loo visits, early exits or concerns over content at all. He loved it, but has grown up watching Star Wars as he has an older brother. I guess it depends on the DC in question; you know how he's likely to react/behave. Would he sit still for the entire time (DS2 did, although he moved onto my lap half way through)?

Artandco Mon 21-Dec-15 20:00:20

I wouldn't take mine, they would be terrified. They both seem pretty sensitive though and get really upset if someone's lost/ dies/ gets hurt/ can't find someone/ and don't like explosions..

Kitsandkids Mon 21-Dec-15 20:06:25

10 or 11 year olds I would possibly take to a 12a, depending on the child, but younger than that I wouldn't. The ratings are there for a reason, and I think kids should see films for the first time when they can really appreciate them and totally understand the plots. They will never again have the excitement of seeing that film for the first time so I think it spoils it for them if they can't properly appreciate the film on their first viewing.

Paddingtonthebear Mon 21-Dec-15 20:11:10

We saw it (without our toddler child!) and we were pretty surprised to see a child of about 4yrs old watching it. There's quite a lot of violence in it towards the start in my opinion, people being killed, blood. It's a 12a so not really suitable for young children under 12 but obviously 12- is up to parent discretion if accompanied. Personally I don't think it's appropriate for a child under 10 to be watching films with 12a/ adult themes and moderate violence. But perhaps I am wrong, reading the comments here.

And it's so fucking loud my ears are still ringing two days later. hmm That might just be our cinema though.

chillycurtains Mon 21-Dec-15 20:21:08

Thing is you both need to think of other people in the cinema too. If your DD is not going to be interested or sit still and quiet for the WHOLE film then YABU. The cinema is not cheap and it will be a real treat that some people have saved up for. It is so frustrating when a screen of any film is ruined by a bored child who is too young for the film.

Star Wars are part of a genre of films which are marketed at children with lots of merchandise but the actual film is not suitable. For example the Avengers, Spiderman, Batman. I think it's pretty unfair on the poor kids. They don't understand.

chillycurtains Mon 21-Dec-15 20:22:07

Oh sorry, I mean YANBU but your DH is. smile

hufflebottom Mon 21-Dec-15 20:23:43

I'd say let your dh go and wait for the DVD for your ds. Least you can pause it should he need the toilet etc

Paddingtonthebear Mon 21-Dec-15 20:24:06

"Examiners only recommend a 12 or 12A if they think 12 year olds would be fine to watch them. If they think a film or DVD is fine for younger children (eg 10 and 11 year olds) they recommend those films be rated PG."

So a 12 or 12a film isn't deemed suitable for a child under 12 is it? Otherwise it would be PG. Yeah, I wouldn't be letting under 12's see it.

MrsHathaway Mon 21-Dec-15 20:25:22

DH wanted to take our 7.6 and 4.8 sons.

We've been watching Episodes IV to VI over the last few days. DS1 has loved every minute. DS2 has frequently left the room not to mention asking every five fucking minutes which one's Darth Vader again and is that one a goodie.

So DH is taking only DS1 in the morning. It means they can go to the 3d showing too.

Four is a bit young unless they're very immersed in the universe. Not too young for the cinema (DS2 has been going since he was two or less) but too young for a 12.

MrsHathaway Mon 21-Dec-15 20:27:53

We took DS3 to The Hobbit (12A) at four weeks old grin

Palomb Mon 21-Dec-15 20:31:14

I took my almost seven year old yesterday he loved it but I think he was only just old enough. I would think an under 5 would find it quite scary.

Cressandra Mon 21-Dec-15 20:33:07

No chance here. Do a film & popcorn night for him at home with a more suitable star wars film.

VimFuego101 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:33:57

Are you aware of the big spoiler that happens in it? I was going to take DS(4) to see it but i think that part may be a bit much for him.

Basketofchocolate Mon 21-Dec-15 20:34:57

The original Star Wars is a PG - PG is recommended age 8yrs, not 4yrs. At age 7, we are only now considering letting DS watch any PGs.

IMDB.com is great for the parents guide that you can find on the right hand side. It details the scenes and stuff which is useful as you can then judge on what might make your child scared/laugh/worry/etc. It was interesting to look at as some films we thought of showing to DS we had clearly forgotten how many times the word 'sh*t' came up (yes, in PGs) or scenes that we had forgotten about that actually might be a bit scary.

The original Star Wars doesn't come out too badly actually compared to some!

Bounced Mon 21-Dec-15 20:43:02

I wouldn't. Too loud, too violent, too complicated. But I'm not taking my 7yo either, so I'm probably at one end of the scale. And I have kids who tend to find the cinema much too loud even with PG films.

Madcats Mon 21-Dec-15 21:00:19

How many films in a cinema (as opposed to on TV, where they can wander around/need a wee etc) has DS 4.5 years been to? The logistics of sitting still and watching a long movie simply wouldn't have happened for my DD at that age.

hiccupgirl Mon 21-Dec-15 21:06:07

I'm not taking my nearly 6 yr old DS. He is going to watch the very first one with DH over Christmas and then gradually the other 2 original ones but not the more graphic ones yet.

My DS is fine with the cinema and sitting still but he's far too sensitive and easily scared for a 12A film at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now