Talk

Advanced search

Offer to babysit my nephew

(25 Posts)
Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:02:36

This isn't an AIBU but I couldn't think where else to put it. I'm 9 weeks pg and have pretty bad 'morning' sickness feel on the brink of throwing up all day and have been sick several times.
I was going to offer to babysit my 1 year old nephew on new years eve to allow everyone to go out and have fun as I can't drink anyway and don't feel much like going out.
The only problem is he's a bit spirited and does not sleep until fully exhausted, sometimes around 10pm/11pm (I know, not good but not my child and if I only have him the odd night I can't get him into a routine)
I absolutely adore him and love spending time with him so am wondering whether to ignore the sickness and go ahead and offer or do you think it will be a complete nightmare and I shouldn't offer?

GloGirl Mon 21-Dec-15 16:03:53

Offer, you are going to be grateful if the favour ever gets returned!

FairyFluffbum Mon 21-Dec-15 16:07:35

If you feel you can manage then offer. Is it worse in the morning or evening? Mine was terrible about middle afternoon and I was ok-ish evening time but I was bone aching exhausted. I couldn't cope with a spirited toddler.

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:08:52

I'm only working a half day that day so maybe a nap in the afternoon will give me the energy - I'm in bed at 8/9 these days I'm so tired.

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:09:45

Fairly it's literally all day sad and I'm exhausted in the evening but a nap might do the trick.

unimaginativename13 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:11:39

Yes i would just solider through as you may want the favour returned- maybe next year!!

Also practice if your ever happen to be pregnant again with a small child (you might decide one is your limit after that)

purpledasies Mon 21-Dec-15 16:11:53

I'd go ahead but have some nice calming activities planned to do with him - eg a movie to watch. And get someone else to wear him out first before they head off out, so you can just have some nice chilled time together. Agree that being owed a favour or two is worth a lot when you have a small baby.

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:13:32

I don't think they will ever be able to return the favour as they won't be living here much longer sad but that's another reason I wanted to spend more time with my nephew.

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:14:40

Purple good idea about calming activities, he's a very energetic child and is constantly on his feet bit hopefully they can wear him out first. Usually I love his energy as well smile

Make sure you nap, but still offer. His parents will really appreciate it, and it's good to keep the favours and goodwill flowing in the family. You sound lovely, your child-to-be is very lucky to be joining such a nice family smile

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:22:11

Thanks irritable that's lovely flowers
Ok it's decided, can anyone recommend any interactive books that might keep him sitting for 10 minutes grin

Speederman Mon 21-Dec-15 16:26:32

Dealing with a toddler and all-day sickness is horrendous. I know, I did it for 9 months.

However, one evening should be fine - you'll have weeks to recover afterwards.

I might be being sensitive but you've annoyed me with your comment about him only going to sleep when exhausted and you can't get him into a routine as you don't have him enough - not all children are easy to get to sleep. Not all children respond to routine. I hope for your sake that you get an easy sleeper. And I hope your nephew's parents don't feel judged about having a child who doesn't go to sleep until 10pm.

Speederman Mon 21-Dec-15 16:27:13

In the night garden is good for calming little tearaways smile

unless they're DS2 who hates TV

witsender Mon 21-Dec-15 16:28:44

I wouldn't. Next year you will be with one of your own all being well so I would enjoy yhr peace. Do you have a partner who could hekp?

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:31:54

Speeder they haven't tried to get him into a routine he's allowed up until he falls over and of course I would never judge them he's a happy, healthy child and I only mentioned it to give context. If he went to bed at 7/8pm like the other children I've babysat for I wouldn't even be thinking twice about babysitting as I know I could also go to bed early. I mentioned that I wouldn't be able to get him into a routine in case loads of people starting asking why he didn't go to bed earlier.

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:33:14

Witsender DH will also be out enjoying himself, not fair to keep him in because I feel rotten fsad

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:41:19

Also sil isn't British and I think in her culture they have a different attitude to parenting and bedtime. As long as he's happy and healthy then it's not really a problem.

enderwoman Mon 21-Dec-15 16:44:11

Can parents go out once their son is asleep? 10pm is still 2 hours before midnight.

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:46:23

Ender I think most places would be quite full by then and it would be nice for them to be able to enjoy dinner too. I will ask them what they want to do smile

Kaytee1987 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:47:21

They will probably stay at out house so if they're not too hungover then they will be back on duty first thing grin

Speederman Mon 21-Dec-15 16:53:59

Ah right
I've never had a 12 month old who has been asleep at 8pm! But I have difficult sleepers understatement

I think it's lovely to offer.

I didn't appreciate just how easy it was being pregnant with DS1 despite the 9 months of being sick. I just went to work and went to bed.

With DS2 it wasn't possible - any lost sleep just wasn't made up.

Jw35 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:54:11

Well I would just do it but I'm 8 weeks pregnant with horrendous nausea and a one year old who hasn't slept well this week due to a cold. One night would be nothing to me!

purpledasies Mon 21-Dec-15 17:28:05

I'd ask him to choose a book for you to read to him. He'll probably have ones he likes. I actually found that TV relaxed mine better than a book at that age, as it was less interactive. Cbeebies is your friend.

hartmel Mon 21-Dec-15 19:01:02

My DS was only 6 month old when I was 8 weeks pregnant with DD.. It was hard but as you will only be watching him for one night. I would do it..
At 12 month DS was in bed no later then 9 pm now my kids go to bed between 8-9 pm..

And as a poster already said not all kids like to have a routine. As much as you try and fight they are just to stubborn grin

SquinkiesRule Mon 21-Dec-15 19:15:17

I'd lie on the bed with him at about 9pm and read stories, lots of stories, I bet you both fall asleep. Just make sure the door is closed and the room is childproofed beforehand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now