Talk

Advanced search

Secret santa

(33 Posts)
Solina Mon 21-Dec-15 14:09:39

Now this is not as much of an AIBU, I just need some opinions. We have our work Christmas meal tomorrow and this involves secret santa presents. I got someone who is not in my team and is new so I had no idea what to get her as I have only talked to her once.

I decided to make some home made sweets but now I am worried that I should have just gone with wine or something as the boxes I got are not huge and as I wrapped each sweet separately to cellophane there aren't that many sweets in each box sad I cant not wrap them as the fudge is so damn sticky.

So my question is, would you rather have home made fudge and marmalade sweets or the bottle of wine as a secret santa present?

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 21-Dec-15 14:11:01

Wine

hth

But it is lovely that you have gone to so much trouble.

GloriaHotcakes Mon 21-Dec-15 14:11:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mouldycheesefan Mon 21-Dec-15 14:14:53

Wine. I would bin the chocolates sorry but with secret Santa you don't know from whence they came, someone's toddler might have made them.

Floralnomad Mon 21-Dec-15 14:14:55

Well I don't drink but I also wouldn't eat home made stuff if I wasn't precisely sure of its origin so even I would prefer the wine .

NE14T Mon 21-Dec-15 14:15:39

What's the suggested 'cost' of the present? Could you do both?

Personally I'd prefer the wine as I don't eat many sweets but I do love homemade presents and the DC would eat them so either I think would be fine!

I'm in the exact same position as in I haven't even met the person I'm buying for! I've gone with a green and blacks selection and bottle of wine so very similar... I'm not sure you can go too wrong with foodstuffs and marmalade sweets sound lovely

theycallmemellojello Mon 21-Dec-15 14:16:49

Aw no I'd be so touched by a box of homemade fudge. It's not the quantity that counts - everyone has lots of sweets over Christmas and who can eat masses of fudge anyway? I can go out and buy myself a bottle of echo falls whenever I like but I'm not going to make myself any yummy homemade fudge. I think that especially as this person is new a homemade present will be very welcoming.

LuluJakey1 Mon 21-Dec-15 14:17:12

Wine.

chanelfreak Mon 21-Dec-15 14:17:39

Wine. Every time.

I really hate marmalade though, so that may be influencing my decision.

TaliZorah Mon 21-Dec-15 14:19:30

I hate wine, I don't drink, so sweets for me!

AutumnLeavesArePretty Mon 21-Dec-15 14:21:16

Neither sorry, dont drink and I wouldnt eat homemade goods unless I knew the person well.

Even on a small budget you can have fun with secret Santa. Last year for £5 I was given a lovely bottle of posh juice, bath bomb, face mask and chocolate. All easily used and can be shared if not to someone's taste.

scarlets Mon 21-Dec-15 14:22:15

I'd prefer the homemade item- I like marmalade and I enjoy the taste of homemade goods. However, if you're uncertain I'd go for the wine which I think has broader appeal because it can be offered to guests or regifted easily if the recipient doesn't drink.

Solina Mon 21-Dec-15 14:28:29

I'm surprised people wouldn't eat home made stuff! But noted and I will get a bottle of wine and add the fudge as well as it took forever to wrap those things but not the marmalade stuff. she can then bin the fudge after the meal if she feels nervous about eating it :D Off to the shop then...

XiCi Mon 21-Dec-15 14:28:40

Oh God no, you need to get her some wine. I'm sure you meant well but I'd think it very odd if I got something homemade as a secret santa. What was the budget?

TaliZorah Mon 21-Dec-15 14:33:35

What's with the anti home made feelings?

DisappointedOne Mon 21-Dec-15 14:41:45

Now this is not as much of an AIBU, I just need some opinions. We have our work Christmas meal tomorrow and this involves secret santa presents.

Isn't there a special board for exactly this sort of stuff.........???

fruitlovingmonkey Mon 21-Dec-15 14:46:06

Wine...but then I'm very fussy about fudge.
It's nice that you've gone to such an effort, I'm sure that'll be appreciated but a small box is probably for the best because she might not eat it.

whois Mon 21-Dec-15 14:47:12

Sweets. Or wine. I'd enjoy both.

DiscoMoo Mon 21-Dec-15 14:47:24

I'd prefer the wine too. Mainly because there's too much sweet stuff at Christmas.

A lot of my colleagues won't eat home made stuff as they don't know how clean people's kitchens are. Or worse, they will only eat home made stuff if they consider the maker to 'look clean'.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 21-Dec-15 14:49:37

It's 4 days before Christmas, DisappointedOne, you may just have to accept that it could be mentioned outside of the Christmas topic. Don't worry, it'll soon be over.

OP, YABU. A work Secret Santa is not the place for homemade stuff. If the budget is £5, something like a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates (from the shop) or some sort of small smellies set would probably be OK. Yes, they are quite unimaginative but fairly inoffensive.

Jw35 Mon 21-Dec-15 14:50:49

I'd eat the homemade sweets but if I were you I'd do both

blankmind Mon 21-Dec-15 14:51:25

What's with the anti home made feelings?

If you're not sure who has made it, you don't know their level of hygiene, or maybe if their kids have 'helped' or their dog's licked it before they wrapped it etc. fgrin

DisappointedOne Mon 21-Dec-15 14:52:01

It's 4 days before Christmas, DisappointedOne, you may just have to accept that it could be mentioned outside of the Christmas topic. Don't worry, it'll soon be over.

It's extra annoying but when they start "this isn't really an AIBU......"

Dipankrispaneven Mon 21-Dec-15 14:54:06

I'd go for something like a naice mug - you don't know whether she drinks wine.

knobblyknee Mon 21-Dec-15 14:54:46

I'd love the fudge and not assume someone had been so dullard as to let their sticky germy toddler make them from bogies, lurgie and nits.
Put a note with them explaining they are hand made and who you are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now