Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be cross and think DP doesn't need to do this?

(81 Posts)
MaybeAnOverthinker Mon 21-Dec-15 12:19:19

Dp has his own office with his own computer, all up to date with Windows 10. I have used it on the odd occasion and made it very clear I am not a fan of windows 10.
We also have a family laptop that I use for work and the children use for homework. He uses it sometimes for quick things but not much.
He has warned me hmm today that he will be updating the family laptop to windows 10 after Christmas. Apparently this is non-negotiable hmm
Both myself and the dc have made it clear that we don't want this for various reasons. I am not a fan in general and one of Dd's programs doesn't run well on it (she's tried it on his computer).

AIBU to not want him to do this? Maybe it's just the stress of preparing for Christmas that's making me blow this out of proportion. I know It's petty but I hate being told he is just going to do it without discussion.

Anyone had any problems with windows 10? Maybe if I have some examples he'll listen to me a bit more!

sooperdooper Mon 21-Dec-15 12:21:03

What a weirdo - is he usually this controlling?? Put a password on your laptop so he can't! grin

sooperdooper Mon 21-Dec-15 12:21:45

And it would bother me more that it's not being discussed, it's not on and it's bloody odd

PurpleWithRed Mon 21-Dec-15 12:23:22

Non-negotiable? wtf?

magimedi Mon 21-Dec-15 12:24:43

Non negotiable?

I'd be telling him where he could stick Windows 10.

Wineandrosesagain Mon 21-Dec-15 12:24:55

Who made him the boss? Tell him to get lost - he has Windows 10 on his computer he doesn't need it on yours/your DC's. Also, change the password on the family laptop so he can't use it anymore. What a twat.

Does he want to update it for better internet security?

sooperdooper Mon 21-Dec-15 12:26:18

Change the password to 'controllingtwunt' smile

LillyBugg Mon 21-Dec-15 12:27:00

Please change the password to 'whatatwat'.

allnewredfairy Mon 21-Dec-15 12:30:39

YABU . Makes perfect sense to keep the family laptop up to date.

Wineandrosesagain Mon 21-Dec-15 12:31:06

I agree with PPs password suggestions fgrin.

If you google 'What's wrong with Windows 10' you'll get a whole list of problems with it.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Mon 21-Dec-15 12:33:41

I have windows 8.1 which is shit, but there is a reason I havent upgraded to 10.

If someone tried to piss about my laptop without permission, would find their own machine in pieces.

Damselindestress Mon 21-Dec-15 12:35:13

YANBU, his attitude would annoy me too. He has no right to tell you it's non-negotiable. He can decide what to do with his own computer, not with the family computer when it affects you and the DC. He should discuss it and be willing to compromise.

KinkyAfro Mon 21-Dec-15 12:35:21

Work upgraded us to 10 and nothing's worked properly since. If you don't want it upgrading change the password.

TheBunnyOfDoom Mon 21-Dec-15 12:36:13

I don't know, really. I'd be annoyed to be told it's "non-negotiable" (wtf?!) but I kind of see where he's coming from in terms of using the most up-to-date operating system.

KinkyAfro Mon 21-Dec-15 12:37:00

allnew it doesn't make perfect sense if the OP doesn't want it, especially as certain programmes don't work well on it

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 21-Dec-15 12:37:13

Anyone had any problems with windows 10?

Yes. Our computer no longer recognises the mouse or the keyboard since updating to Windows 10 rendering it fucking useless.

If it is the laptop that you and the kids predominately use and none of you want Windows 10 why is he trying to force his will on to you all?

Dipankrispaneven Mon 21-Dec-15 12:38:05

IT people I know are avoiding installing Windows 10 as yet - the general view is that it's just not ready, as evidenced by the problems KinkyAfro refers to. And isn't there a general view that you should always wait till they've ironed out all the glitches, i.e. until at least version 10.2?

Supermanspants Mon 21-Dec-15 12:39:30

What a weirdo - is he usually this controlling??

Really??? hmm

Dipankrispaneven Mon 21-Dec-15 12:39:43

Tell him if he wants a laptop at home with Windows 10 on it, he can buy it for himself. And hide yours.

Goingtobeawesome Mon 21-Dec-15 12:42:30

DH upgraded to Windows 10. He's spent the last two days reinstalling everything after cancelling it. It's crap. Your h is a dick.

Anniegetyourgun Mon 21-Dec-15 12:47:13

Having recently bought a PC with Windows 10, we have taken the solemn oath not to update the other two unless/until it becomes absolutely unavoidable. We don't like it and it doesn't run our favourite programs properly or, in some cases, at all. Be damned to it, and to anyone who thinks that being The Man entitles him to muck about with other people's technology.

Wordsmith Mon 21-Dec-15 12:48:06

I have a pc with Windows 10 and wasted 3 hours of my life last week trying to fix it when it decided to hide the start menu and task bar. Apparently this is a fairly common W10. Issue. 2 days later it performed an auto update when I shut it down and that fixed it. Still, 2 days lost with no idea what to do (all suggested fixes on the web didn't work).

I still have W7 on my laptop and save all my important work to the cloud so I can access it from my laptop next time W10 goes AWOL.

So no, YANBU at all.

passmethewineplease Mon 21-Dec-15 12:49:10

Tell him to fuck off and change the password. Who does he think he is telling you it's none negotiable?!

Change your password.

MaybeAnOverthinker Mon 21-Dec-15 12:53:13

Can you still bit laptops with windows 8? I mightn't just go to Amazon and order one....
Anyone know any good ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now