Talk

Advanced search

To not want children to go on minecraft in bedrooms

(13 Posts)
startingallover Mon 21-Dec-15 10:47:29

Children 9 and 11. They enjoy playing minecraft which drives me dotty. Now they want to go on servers and have started going into their bedrooms to play on the server with one another. Apparently it's more magic than sitting next to each other which I do understand. They're very sensible and I sat them down to chat about it. Dd told me you can't write anything horrible and demonstrated by writing something down and immediately someone wrote back. A stranger. She was really surprised and said she would never write to anyone, just her sibling. Can I have a reality check please? AIBU?

2boysnamedR Mon 21-Dec-15 10:59:08

I'm not sure about all the servers - but the one my son is on with class mates is very tightly monitored. He was banned before, no chance for a explanation, nothing, over a minor curse ( not a swear word). He was never allowed back which I thought was good.

He's a bit older at 12 but he had a chat about never using his real name, never saying exactly where he lives. I told him about ids being groomed and yes even killed and blackmailed.

It still concerns me as he is only 12. I know he's talking to his class mates but he's not on minecraft exclusively. Lock down your settings and ask why they have to be upstairs? Far safer using the PC in your sight

TaliZorah Mon 21-Dec-15 11:01:44

I think its fine personally OP

raisin3cookies Mon 21-Dec-15 11:04:08

We always have PCs in common areas of the house. Children do not have the sense to use the internet safely and I have had trouble with laptops being used in private already when my eldest was barely 11.

theycallmemellojello Mon 21-Dec-15 11:10:59

I don't like the idea of kids that young being on chatrooms I have to say. BUT I must admit that I frequented sex chatrooms when I was probably 12 or 13 in the 90s. Although I would never ever allow a child in my care to do the same, and it completely freaks me out to think of a child of that age (who isn't me) doing that, I actually was in no danger and would never have given out personal details. And I reckon it's pretty easy for kids to strike up conversations with strangers online if that's what they want to do. So on balance, I think that having open talks about it but not trying to take away the opportunity might be the best way?

Alternatively can you lock minecraft so you can only talk with 'friends'?

startingallover Mon 21-Dec-15 11:11:33

Thanks for relying. It's their own kindle fires they are using. Big computer locked with password down stairs.

MooseAndSquirrel Mon 21-Dec-15 11:20:24

DD1 is only 7 so I have the xbox on lock down - no access to chat at all. I will relent when she's older but it says in the living room, id much rather give up the tv and nose at mn instead
I think that anything that anything they would only say when I couldn't see, shouldn't be said at all.
When friends have been around they would want to talk to each other on games ....i told them to not be ridiculous and speak to each other face to face like normal human beings grin I'm not cool and I don't care

Somethingisntactuallyanything Mon 21-Dec-15 11:26:20

I think you should be wary of children playing in their bedrooms alone. I wouldn't, personally

Fluffywuffyunicorn Mon 21-Dec-15 11:30:29

If you search online you should find instructions on how to create your own private server for the pocket edition. No one can join unless given a code to join the private world. Dc can play in separate rooms and you don't have to worry about strangers.

Dinobab Mon 21-Dec-15 11:36:49

Knowing what me and my friends got up to talking to strangers online (anyone remember habbo hotel?) There's no way I'd let a kid that age have it in their bedrooms, we used to add boys on msn and they'd convince us to flash them on webcam hmm and expose themselves, we were in primary school so 10, some of the "boys" we talked to were late teens. Kind of messed up.
Although my sister has her Xbox in her room and she's 12 and plays minecraft without any problems other than older kids being a bit mean

Egosumquisum Mon 21-Dec-15 13:05:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Glittertwins Mon 21-Dec-15 14:35:08

DH set the full version of Minecraft up so the DTs can play together but in their own rooms via their own private server. I have also installed K9 software on their laptops which prevents different applications via their definitions therefore chat rooms are not permitted at present.

Lweji Mon 21-Dec-15 14:39:43

They could sit across each other, instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now