Advanced search

emergency prescription? WWYD

(17 Posts)
notamum3210 Sun 20-Dec-15 22:33:14

I'm posting here for traffic.
I've suffered with a chronic pain condition (TMJ disorder) for 7 years + since I was a teenager. It's awful. I was dismissed by lots of doctors before I got a diagnosis and meds that helped control the symptoms.

Since Autumn 2014 I've been on a very low dose of amitriptyline for the pain. It's been very effective and I finally feel more human but I must take my pill each night.
I've just come to visit my parents for Christmas week about 350 miles from home and I've noticed I didn't bring my meds - I found 2 spare pills in my purse but I'm here until the 27th.

Can I get an emergency prescription in this situation? What's the procedure?

thank you if you can help

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 20-Dec-15 22:35:16

Go to a pharmacist and explain.

This happened to my diabetic aunt. They gave her enough medicine to last her trip.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 20-Dec-15 22:36:20

Meant to say that they phoned her GP surgery.

Sirzy Sun 20-Dec-15 22:36:48

Do you have the repeat slip with you?

Otherwise can you phone your GP and ask them to fax a prescription to the local GP?

sparechange Sun 20-Dec-15 22:36:54

Go to the nearest GP and register as a temporary patient.
They can fill a prescription for you. Worst case, they might want to speak to your current GP for some background but I'm sure if you explain the situation, they will be fine with it.

Pharmacists are able to provide some medication in an emergency without a prescription but I'm not sure if amitriptyline will be one of them.

ClityClityBangBang Sun 20-Dec-15 22:36:55

You could ring NHS direct or whatever the equivalent is for advice ?

I'm on long term meds for chronic pain & panic over this happening.

I hope you manage to get sorted op!

PacificDogwod Sun 20-Dec-15 22:37:52

Contact a local GP in the morning, explain as you did here and they will be able to issue you a prescription.

VoldysGoneMouldy Sun 20-Dec-15 22:37:54

Yes you should be able to. Worst scenario, you should be able to get your GP to fax or at least confirm you take vthem.

PacificDogwod Sun 20-Dec-15 22:38:16

Oh, meant to say, you need to register as a 'temporary resident'.

Stripyhoglets Sun 20-Dec-15 22:40:17

Yes you should because you will feel rubbish if you go cold turkey on the Amyltriptiline. Speak to pharmacy tommorrow about how to arrange it.

JustPoppingIn Sun 20-Dec-15 22:42:43

I was in a similar situation once. My GP faxed through a prescription to the pharmacist where I was saying. The pharmacist was really helpful.

I think this happens more often than you would think.

Hassled Sun 20-Dec-15 22:45:11

Your GP will fax a prescription through to wherever you are. We had to do this when clueless (adult) DD remembered she'd forgotten to bring enough thyroxine in darkest France once. Was surprisingly straightforward.

ketchupontoast Sun 20-Dec-15 22:45:58

Boots will issue emergency prescriptions if you have the sticky label from the boxes and ID. I have done this occasionally with my medication and its straightforward. You do need the labels to show that you have been prescribed it before though.

NouedDeViperes Sun 20-Dec-15 22:46:21

Phone your parent's GP and ask to be seen as a temporary resident.

notamum3210 Sun 20-Dec-15 22:49:22

Thanks for the responses.
I don't have the box- just the blister packet.
So first thing should I call my own GP then go to the pharmacy or should I register as a temp here (I actually used to be registered at my parents GP surgery when I was younger)?

PacificDogwod Sun 20-Dec-15 23:00:48

Phone the GP surgery in the morning - they'll talk you through it.
Happens all the time smile

littlegreen66 Sun 20-Dec-15 23:00:59

Try the local pharmacy first. You may be able to miss out the registering as a temporary resident bit altogether. Make sure you ask to speak to the pharmacist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now