Talk

Advanced search

To actually rather like Facebook

(18 Posts)
Sadik Sun 20-Dec-15 17:35:33

I get links to articles I'd never have read otherwise (just read interesting pieces from the Telegraph and Mirror, neither of whose sites I usually visit), photos of my friends and their DC, hear about what people are up to, find out about events and get party invites. I would say what's not to like . . . but I think that also is non-MN-U grin

QOD Sun 20-Dec-15 17:47:34

Me too.grin

Nanofone Sun 20-Dec-15 17:49:07

Me too! I love being able to loosely keep in touch with people who lead very busy lives/live at the other end of the country etc.

Krampus Sun 20-Dec-15 17:49:26

Agree

NashvilleQueen Sun 20-Dec-15 17:50:05

Yep. It's all about the user for me. I am careful about who I befriend and I block or delete anyone who starts sharing stuff I don't like. But I get to keep in touch with people I was close to at various stages in my life whereas I wouldn't have a clue what they looked like/what they were up to otherwise. It's a light touch way of managing social contact for me!

x2boys Sun 20-Dec-15 17:50:12

me too also ds2 has a rare genetic disorder i have facebook friends with dc with the same or similar disorders around the world facebook is great for putting people in touch with various groups.

Savagebeauty Sun 20-Dec-15 17:50:49

I do.
I don't "friend" random people and block at the first sight of a "hun" or "share if you love your daughter" post.

Sirzy Sun 20-Dec-15 17:51:12

I enjoy it, but I am only really friends with people I like, and family half of whom are hidden anyway

Sirzy Sun 20-Dec-15 17:51:55

And yes the Facebook support groups can be very good too. Although I have left a lot along the way which aren't right for me!

B33rTricksPott3r Sun 20-Dec-15 17:52:22

Me too. It's what you make it really. Add asshats, you'll get asshattery. Add people you like and have things in common with and it's great.

Sadik Sun 20-Dec-15 17:53:29

Glad I'm not the only one! It's true that I'm only friends with people I am actually RL friends with, which helps. And I'm crap at phone calls, so being able to stay in touch easily is nice.

Sadik Sun 20-Dec-15 17:54:17

True about the groups too, I belong to a few useful ones (and have tried and left plenty of others)

redexpat Sun 20-Dec-15 17:56:55

I love FB. It has been a lifeline during a difficult move and transition. I keep posting on those threads that it isnt FBs fault that you have dull friends.
I also love my MIL.
And I like my HV.

Creatureofthenight Sun 20-Dec-15 17:57:02

YANBU, I like it too. Not friends with random people so I don't get any weird or racist stuff in my news feed, just little snippets of what people are up to, links to interesting or funny stuff and some photos, which are nice as a lot of my FB friends are people I don't see regularly.

ImogenTubbs Sun 20-Dec-15 18:01:09

Yup, I love it too! Not meaning to trivialise, but after the Paris attacks I saw a few friends post things like, 'if you start posting racist crap I will unfriend you', but not a single one of my friends posted any racist crap. Which made me rather relieved about the friends and family I do have. I did have to unfriend SIL's dad for sharing Britain First posts, but that was ages ago.

paddyclampitt Sun 20-Dec-15 18:39:12

I love everything about it! smile

Bearbehind Sun 20-Dec-15 18:41:39

There's an awful lot I do like about it but 20 days of bastard elf poses is wearing very thin!

Shockers Sun 20-Dec-15 18:56:07

I love it too. My friends are all lovely folk, and I love seeing their photographs.

I use it as a diary, and enjoy being able to look back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now