Talk

Advanced search

to have given up on trying to dig this huge splinter out of my finger?

(23 Posts)
theresnoonequitelikegrandma Sun 20-Dec-15 17:30:51

I got a fairly large splinter of wood in my finger on Thursday - pulled it out (or so I thought) but there's still a fair chunk of it in my index finger. The first aider at work tried very hard to extract it with a needle and tweezers when it happened but failed, so I tried soaking it in the bath and doing a bit of excavation myself on Friday and again yesterday but it got too painful and wasn't budging.

I've kept it covered with a plaster and am putting Savlon on it (as recommended by Dr Google) and today it hardly hurts at all but my colleagues keep telling me that I should go to the doctor now to have it removed.

Will it work its way out on its own if I leave it alone (apart from the plaster and Savlon 'treatment'?)

BTW - I do know that this is a nest of vipers and not a team of medical professionals but I'm interested in your opinions! Thanks

BrushtheHeat Sun 20-Dec-15 17:33:38

Hhhmmmmnn.. think we're going to need a picture to give an informed answer smile

Bobblehat10 Sun 20-Dec-15 17:35:22

When I've done the same, its sometime tempting to think there is still something in there when there isn't.
Failing that, amputation is the only possible way to go. Try and keep it below the elbow if you can.

(Only joking)

iroblonegen Sun 20-Dec-15 17:36:13

You need mag sulph for splinters. That'll help it to work its way out.

PoptartPoptart Sun 20-Dec-15 17:36:15

You need to put magnesium sulphate in it (you can get it in any chemist, Boots, Tesco etc). Apply a thick layer and cover with a plaster overnight. It will draw it right up to the surface and be easy peasy to remove in the morning.

Frusso Sun 20-Dec-15 17:36:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoptartPoptart Sun 20-Dec-15 17:37:17

on it not in it

GreatFuckability Sun 20-Dec-15 17:37:47

You should get medical advice really. Things can be embedded and cause no worries, but they can also cause bad infections. It very much depends on the type of wood and luck really.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sun 20-Dec-15 17:43:30

Yep, mag sulph paste and a plaster. Leave it alone.

Hoppinggreen Sun 20-Dec-15 18:00:40

DS hd an accident a school and got a twig about the size of my thumb in his arm.
A&E removed most of it but left he wound open and bits were still coming out a week later, every time I changed the dressing there were little splinters on the surface that could just be wiped away with a sterile wipe. No infection or anything

theresnoonequitelikegrandma Sun 20-Dec-15 18:09:44

My God - you are good!! I removed my plaster so I could take a photo as requested...and noticed that there seemed to be a tiny bit sticking out at one end, so I took a pair of tweezers to it and - it came out!! Now - what do you recommend to stop it hurting!!

Thank you! fsmile

Frusso Sun 20-Dec-15 18:13:21

Frusso Sun 20-Dec-15 18:14:11

GreatFuckability Sun 20-Dec-15 18:15:54

Gin is a good painkiller.

Oldraver Sun 20-Dec-15 18:53:47

Put some Tea Tree on it......the stinging will take your mind off t hurting grin

annettec01 Sun 20-Dec-15 19:24:21

Wine wink

Wolpertinger Sun 20-Dec-15 20:03:55

You can't put something on it to stop it hurting sadly, just leave it alone and it will fix itself now.

BrandNewAndImproved Sun 20-Dec-15 20:06:46

Apparently bacon fat gets splinters out, I once rang up and asked for an emergency Dr's appointment and the afternoon off work for the splinter I couldn't get out. The receptionist laughed on the phone and my boss didn't let me go lol.

Sedona123 Sun 20-Dec-15 20:13:07

Definitely magnesium sulphate. Had to put some on a splinter that DS had. I put a fairly large amount on, followed by a plaster for two nights, which makes it come up to the surface. You then need to gently use a needle to create a very small hole for it to come through, then give it a little squeeze, and pull it out with tweezers.

londonrach Sun 20-Dec-15 20:16:46

Now its out op wash with salt water and cover with plaster if bleeding. Suggest wine for the pain. Disappointed no photo!

Dipankrispaneven Sun 20-Dec-15 20:51:33

You could try ibuprofen if it's still sore.

DaffodilsAreMyFav Sun 20-Dec-15 21:20:14

Maybe hold an ice cube on it for the pain.

Fluffyears Sun 20-Dec-15 22:26:04

In most cases foreign bodies work their own way out. My brother when we were young had a wound on his arm that wouldn't heal up. My mum had him at GP twice who said there were no foreign bodies present and gave him anti biotics. One night his arm started to weep a lot then a huge thorn about 2 inches long worked its way out. It healed within a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now