Talk

Advanced search

To think the jobsearch.gov.uk website is the last place you could actually find a decent job?

(8 Posts)
liptolinford Sun 20-Dec-15 15:49:22

Maybe it's just in my area, but it's just pages upon pages of stuff like home care workers, personal care assistants, door to door canvassers, commission based magazine sellers etc.

Basically, nothing with full-time hours or above minimum wage.

TheXxed Sun 20-Dec-15 15:51:35

Indeed.co.uk is really good.

BanningTheWordNaice Sun 20-Dec-15 15:53:26

Yanbu I never find anything relevant. Indeed is pretty good.

mudandmayhem01 Sun 20-Dec-15 15:56:51

Its very poor, I don't know anyone who actually found a job via it, decent employers often don't use it because they tend to get too many applications from people who are just desperately trying to meet the job centres requirements to apply for so many jobs. We used to help a lovely man who due to his personal issues would be very unlikely to find employment ( unjustly turned down for esa) he couldn't read or write but we used to help him apply for 10 jobs to stop him getting sanctioned ( whilst providing more positive and useful support too btw)

Littlef00t Sun 20-Dec-15 16:03:07

I only used it when I was made redundant to keep my jobseekers payment. I did actually find my fab job in the council through it. I guess they are obliged to use it!

Keeptrudging Sun 20-Dec-15 16:05:28

Myjobscotland lists all the council jobs (in Scotland), lots of different types.

EBearhug Sun 20-Dec-15 16:14:10

When I last signed on, (which was several years ago, and things have changed a lot since, and he'd probably be sacked for saying it now,) the job centre adviser said, "I'm meant to tell you to check our jobs lists every week, but I can tell you now, you won't find anything which matches your skills and experience."

FairyFluffbum Sun 20-Dec-15 16:42:10

Yanbu! It's awful

Last time I looked (about 6 years ago now) it was all self employed positions or skilled workers such as electricians.

There was one that made me laugh and even the workers at the job centre was hmm it was for a Farmers Wife. To cook, clean and tend to the home of a farmer. Other duties would include helping on the farm itself. Board would be provided.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now