Talk

Advanced search

To not want the tv blaring?

(19 Posts)
imwithspud Sun 20-Dec-15 15:24:24

Relatively minor thing I know. Dp likes the tv loud, well louder than I do. Especially when watching a film. I wouldn't mind so much, but when it gets to the point where we can't hear each other or the dc's over it then surely it's too loud? Dd1 is quite loud at times and he turns the tv up when she's playing noisily because he 'can't hear it' apparently. I just find it too much to cope with sometimes. The TV, along with noisy 3yo and 6month old, and then having to shout over the tv just drives me to distraction sometimes and it stresses me out - I get tense and shouty. I really enjoy it during the week when I can have the tv on at a reasonable level (or sometimes off) and I can actually hear myself think.

Dp doesn't understand why it irritates me so much, but then again his parents are the same so I guess he's used to it. I don't mind the tv being on, obviously with kids I don't expect a quiet house but i do expect to not have to shout over the tv for people to hear what I'm saying to them.

YANBU, this would drive me crazy!

theycallmemellojello Sun 20-Dec-15 15:28:02

YANBU. We actually have cordless headphones for watching the tv so others can sit in the room and read at the same time. But people think we're mad, I accept. It's a bit shit if your DH won't compromise on this, it's not that trivial to not be able to hear yourself think. He couldn't be developing a hearing impairment could he? He might just need his ears syringed or something.

InTheBox Sun 20-Dec-15 15:29:23

Of course you're not being unreasonable. Get the remote and turn it down. On another note does he have hearing problems or blocked ears? If not then just get the remote everytime he does it and turn it down.

VulcanWoman Sun 20-Dec-15 15:46:21

Bloody annoying isn't it. Our TV came with two remotes, so it's a bit of a battle sometimes between me and my son. I might have to accidentaly on purpose lose one of them.

redexpat Sun 20-Dec-15 16:00:27

Noise raises stress levels so no, yanbu. If it's that loud that you cant hear the dc then he should get his hearing checked. And i think you should maybe instigate a new house rule of no films while the dc are up.

StealthPolarBear Sun 20-Dec-15 16:05:33

I can't bear this yet everyone else thinks im odd!! Dh has music on quite loud to the point where i feel I'm being continually interrupted when I'm trying to get a sentence out. It's very frustrating

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 20-Dec-15 16:08:22

I hate the TV loud too. My eight year old likes it blaring but he's learned that I just turn it off if he gets carried away.

QueenArseClangers Sun 20-Dec-15 17:41:16

So your DH just sits and watches films in telly really loudly whilst your kids are up and about? confused

imwithspud Sun 20-Dec-15 19:16:33

Not at all Queen. I'm not sure where I said he sits and watches films all the time? He's a bit of a film buff and likes to have one on in the background, only really paying full attention when both dc's are otherwise occupied.---- Except his version of what an acceptable volume level and my version of what's acceptable are a bit different. He's a very hands on dad.-- Not sure why I'm justifying myself but I can't seem to help myself.--

Like I said his parents are exactly the same, when we stay with them every morning without fail they will wake either us or the dc's up with the radio on at full blast in the kitchen. I think it's just what he's used to. I'm forever telling him to turn it down and he's forever moaning that it's too quiet. It's one of those ongoing lighthearted arguments that happen in most households. In fairness though, when I say to turn it down, he does. Glad it's not just me though!

imwithspud Sun 20-Dec-15 19:17:15

Whoops, crossed out the wrong part of the post there. That's embarrassinggrin

imwithspud Sun 20-Dec-15 19:20:14

To add, when it is loud to the point where I can't hear the dc's/other people talking it's usually in an especially loud part of the film/show. He'll turn it up because the quiet bits are too quiet but then we all get deafened when there's an action scene or music etc. Hope I explained a bit better there. But yes during those moments it is difficult to hear when someone is trying to communicate.

claig Sun 20-Dec-15 19:23:41

Your DH may have hearing problems in that he finds it difficult to hear it unless it is loud. My nan used to have to have the TV turned up really loud or she couldn't hear it. Your DH won't be like that but it may be a hearing issue or the beginnings of one.

cariadlet Sun 20-Dec-15 19:24:19

It would drive me mad if the TV is so loud that you can't have a normal conversation.

But more importantly, that can't be good for such young children - surely it would affect their hearing. It will certainly hamper their listening and communication skills. Maybe that's why so many of the kids in my class can't talk at a sensible volume - they're used to having to shout over the TV.

Artandco Sun 20-Dec-15 19:24:37

Why would he have a film on, regardless of volume with a baby and toddler around?

A) very few films he would be interested in are surely not suitable for a 3 year old unless he's watching u rating all the time

B) how can he follow film plot half watching and half entertaining?

It would be be better to just not have the tv on when your not all actually free, and watch a film once the children are in bed and you are both sitting watching, not shouting over each other. You can't really talk with a film on can you.

Addictedtocustardcreams Sun 20-Dec-15 19:25:14

YANBU. I massively get noise overload with 2 DC & a DH who is deaf in one ear so has everything v loud. Sometimes when the DC are in bed & DH is at work I don't even turn the TV on as I am enjoying the peace & quiet!

RoganJosh Sun 20-Dec-15 19:26:56

I'm another who doesn't really understand why the TV is on at all if the children are playing around it.

imwithspud Sun 20-Dec-15 19:36:49

We usually have 'family' films on, nothing inappropriate for small ears/eyes. Me and dp enjoy a variety of different genres including lots of U and PG rated films. We would never put a 12+ on whilst they're awake.

We don't always have a film on, I do like the tv on as background noise but I'm not going to discuss the ins and outs of why we should or shouldn't have the tv on or not because that's not what my post is about. Although in fairness I should have known better than to post a relatively lighthearted thread in aibugrin

AHobbyaweek Sun 20-Dec-15 23:00:00

We had this issue when at DFs house with DSM. Seems to be bad on HD films where it is really loud when the action bits come on but was on in standard definition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now