Talk

Advanced search

Be the deciding vote- buy another role or not?

(22 Posts)
Junosmum Sun 20-Dec-15 12:30:38

So we are decorating the nursery. Bought one role of wallpaper it was on offer, £10 for the roll. It's now £25. Bought one roll, knowing it would be tight. There isn't enough. Short by approximately 4inches to on the last strip.

Option one- leave the 4inches unpapered. This bit of wall is 30cm across, and will be covered by a 50cm wide wardrobe, meaning only me and dh will know.

Option 2. Buy an extra roll, wait for delivery, buy more paste, leave the room unfurnished until after Christmas when we'll be able to finish it.

Part of the decision- we are broke, everything I've bought for baby is second hand except mattress and car seat. We haven't enough savings for me to take full mat leave. DH will go on and on about the unfinished bit of wall, it will silently irk me.

So good people of mumsnet, which do we do?

VimFuego101 Sun 20-Dec-15 12:32:01

Hide the gap behind the wardrobe and forget about it, unless you think it's likely you'll rearrange your room at some point and the gap won't be covered any more.

Naoko Sun 20-Dec-15 12:33:01

If a wardrobe is going to go in front and you haven't got the money to spare, leave well alone! Finish it up and admire all your hard work with furniture in it.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 20-Dec-15 12:33:12

Yes, hide the gap. You will be painting over it in 5 years.

Junosmum Sun 20-Dec-15 12:34:20

*roll. On all ocassions!

ActivelyAnxious Sun 20-Dec-15 12:34:23

Leave it as it is! Forget it even exists.

honeyroar Sun 20-Dec-15 12:35:08

Leave it with a gap if nobody will see it. Chances are you'll redecorate anyway in a few years when baby is getting bigger. Get it done for Xmas and relax. You won't worry about it when u can no longer see it and everything is in place. Buy yourselves a bottle of Prosecco to celebrate instead!

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 20-Dec-15 12:35:49

It would bother me every time I went in the room, but I am a bit OCD. I would have to buy the roll...

AdjustableWench Sun 20-Dec-15 12:37:55

I would leave it hidden behind the wardrobe and aim to redecorate in 10 years or so.

FeelingSmurfy Sun 20-Dec-15 12:42:08

Could you go and get a "sample" if its that small ?

BippityBoppityBullshit Sun 20-Dec-15 12:42:57

I'd leave it. I must commend you and DH for having the forethought to start at the furthest end from the wardrobe. In my house DH would have started at the wardrobe leaving a bleeding gap somewhere really ruddy obvious forcing the purchase of another roll bitter experience

TheExMotherInLaw Sun 20-Dec-15 12:47:05

Don't buy another roll. If you ever need to rearrange the room, and it would show, then buy a cheap roll of some sort of wallpaper border, and run it all round the bottom of the wall or room.

BlackeyedSusan Sun 20-Dec-15 12:48:10

ideally you should finish the job... but at £25 quid a roll I would hide it behind the wardrobe. is the bare patch the same colour as the rest of the walls? if not can you make it the same colour. less obvious that way. use wrapping paper to cover a shoe box or two to use as pretty storage on top of the wardrobe and hide the top bit of the wall too!

whois Sun 20-Dec-15 12:55:55

I'd hide it behind the wardrobe. But I'm not very good at perfect DIY!

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 20-Dec-15 12:58:22

Yes actually, I agree with smurfy, go get a sample!

Once I decorated one half feature wall (beneath a rail) completely with samples.... Because I was so broke!

nokidshere Sun 20-Dec-15 12:59:26

Yes I'd go and get a sample too

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 20-Dec-15 13:34:21

"Option one- leave the 4inches unpapered. This bit of wall is 30cm across, and will be covered by a 50cm wide wardrobe, meaning only me and dh will know."
I would not spend £25 that I haven't got to decorate a bit of hidden wall, no.

buntingbingo Sun 20-Dec-15 13:38:18

We recently decorated the bedroom but didn't paint behind the wardrobe because it started to fall apart when we went to move it. It bothered me for a few minutes hen I forgot all about It. Definitely just hide the gap and admire your lovely nursery.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 20-Dec-15 13:41:36

Either leave it, get a sample or ask on fb local groups if anyone has a bit left over of that paper.

I used to work in a wallpaper shop and if someone came and told me this Id cut them a nice big sample off.

knobblyknee Sun 20-Dec-15 14:18:12

Go with WhoTheFuckIsSimon's comment and ask the people at he shop nicely for an big offcut, then put the wardrobe in front of that.

Its possible you are still in Nesting Mode and that is why it is bothering you so much.
After a few weeks of sleep deprivation and Xmas Palaver you wont give a crap about any wallpaper. fgrin

Junosmum Sun 20-Dec-15 15:29:55

I would have got a sample but it's an online shop and they only send useless samples out.

Solution we came to was that we used the roll and left a gap. I then found a bit which had been cut off which matched the missing piece almost (it's a repeating pattern with words on it, hence it not quite fitting - it has to match up where you can see it), so we stuck that on to the bottom. The wardrobe is now in place and you can't see it at all, except the patch at the top - which is a 'proper' bit of the roll.

No need to spend £25. And if we do ever rearrange the room I can only see furniture going in that bit anyway, whether it is drawer, wardrobe, bed/ cot/ whatever anyway!

Thanks guys.

blueturtle6 Sun 20-Dec-15 18:09:40

The other role may not be same batch and there fore slightly different colour. I had forgotten about the bare patch behind my wardrobe until I read this...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now