Talk

Advanced search

to think I don't need to give up breastfeeding?

(46 Posts)
IloveCokeZeroCherry Sun 20-Dec-15 09:22:31

NC.

My friend came round yesterday and while I was breastfeeding DD (4 months) I was also drinking a coke zero. I usually drink 2 or 3 a day because I'm just desperate for the caffine bloody sleep regression . I assumed this was ok. Friend has said it's not ok because the aspartame could cause autism, and if I insist upon drinking it I then need to give up bf.

AIBU to think she is wrong and that there is no proven link between aspartame and autism?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 20-Dec-15 09:26:36

Your body filters out all the crap before making breast milk.

There is no warning on the side of a cola bottle "do not drink if pregnant or bf"

I wouldn't drink it, as aspartame gives me a dry mouth. But that is my choice. I wouldn't force it on you or anybody else.

I think your friend needs to re-check her facts!

MintyBojingles Sun 20-Dec-15 09:27:22

YANBU. No proven link between aspartame and anything. Plenty of links between sugar and increased risks of many things. Crack on. Though I found if I had caffeine in the afternoon whilst BF then the baby wouldn't sleep as well that evening.

Haggisfish Sun 20-Dec-15 09:29:14

Ahhahaha-wtaf?! Such nonsense from your friend. Honestly, ignore them and any future advice they give you about anything, ever. There is absolutely no evidence to support a link between aspartame and autism. As far as I know, it is looking increasingly likely there is a strong genetic element to autism, possibly combined with environmental triggers. I could be wrong on this, though.

Kelsoooo Sun 20-Dec-15 09:31:18

Oh ffs. I had a massive row about this with a friend the other day,

Aspartame does not cause autism.

But I also think Coke Zero doesn't contain caffiene

coconutpie Sun 20-Dec-15 09:32:05

Your friend is full of shit. Next time she offers you her words of "wisdom" ask her to provide you with the proof of her ridiculous claims.

kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-foods/#sweeteners

LovelyFriend Sun 20-Dec-15 09:33:16

The world is split on whether aspartame is evil fucker or not. I don't drink it.

But I did do lots of "naughty" things while bf (heck I did 16 & 18 months). I think the milk is well filtered.

But drinking that much coke certainly won't be doing you any favours. Lots of health issues with soda consumption. I would be most worried about osteoporosis esp as your body is working so hard. Your drink of choice gives nothing nutritionally while taxing your body in other ways?

Tropicana now do juice shits with caffine. Or you could switch to flat whites?

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Sun 20-Dec-15 09:33:38

No, your friend is not correct and you should not stop bf!

I drank too much diet fizzy. juice when I was bf as like you I was exhausted but had gained lots of weight and didn't want to drink full fat any more. All 3 of my dc are fine, and I've never heard of a link between autism and aspartame before, ever.

Hairyfairy01 Sun 20-Dec-15 09:35:15

Your friend is talking bollocks!

BondJayneBond Sun 20-Dec-15 09:43:33

I have never heard of this.

This is obviously an unscientific anecdote, but I've drank plenty of diet coke while breastfeeding DS2 (2.3 yrs and still breastfeeding), and he appears to be developing completely normally. Like you, I wanted the caffeine. I also drink tea, but never when breastfeeding DS2 because of the scalding risk.

LovelyFriend Sun 20-Dec-15 09:44:28

Juice SHOTS. The shits come later grin

dementedpixie Sun 20-Dec-15 09:45:42

She's talking site. .hth

dementedpixie Sun 20-Dec-15 09:45:56

Or shite even!

dementedpixie Sun 20-Dec-15 09:47:33

Coke zero does have caffeine unless you specifically choose caffeine free

BrideOfWankenstein Sun 20-Dec-15 09:47:35

grin
What a load of bollocks.

ZenNudist Sun 20-Dec-15 09:51:20

No you don't need to quit bf. If give up on all the coke though. Nasty stuff. Switch to water most of the time and treats such as soda water with lime juice, very refreshing. Or 1/3 juice, 2/3 soda. Drink coffee / tea if you must have caffeine.

The aspartamine makes your mouth dry so you drink more of it. We used to drink loads of that low sugar aspartamine squash and my treat was diet lemonade. I was always thirsty. So much better now I've cut it out.

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Sun 20-Dec-15 09:51:40

Autistic children are born with autism. It is not caused by aspartame

Inertia Sun 20-Dec-15 09:53:07

I do wonder though whether some of the caffeine passes through breast milk and keeps the baby awake, which kind of defeats the object. ( I remember having similar thoughts about drinking lots of tea while sleep deprived and bf)

BooOzMoo Sun 20-Dec-15 10:01:42

I might be concerned about the caffeine passing through but autism is a genetic disorder and children don't develop it from mum's drinking Coke Zero, MMR or anything else!

Enjoy your time feeding X

BeyondJinglebells Sun 20-Dec-15 10:06:58

I was under the impression that the potential "issue" with aspartame and autism was that it anecdotally has an effect on children who already have autism
Not that it causes it. Fucking idiot.

Russellgroupserf Sun 20-Dec-15 10:13:04

I'm married to someone with a background in food sciences who avoids it because it is totally artificially synthesised and it hasnt been around long enough to have any known long term effects. He knows there is no conclusive proof about it either way having contra indications currently.

But there are other reasons to avoid a lot of fizzy drink.

The phosphoric acid in it is bad for your teeth. DH cousin is an orthopaedic surgeon and is very anti fizzy drink due to over consumption being linked in scientific studies to osteoporosis and bone issues.

The reasons to not drink diet coke are not the ones your friend has cited but there is evidence that fizzy drink is unhealthy.

I have visited the house of someone who was a VP for one of the biggest global food corps in the world. I didn't notice any of the food his company peddles in his fridge!

sianihedgehog Sun 20-Dec-15 10:13:25

Your friend is talking UTTER shite. There's no link at all, and aspartame doesn't make it into your breast milk. What an idiotic idea!

Janeymoo50 Sun 20-Dec-15 10:15:43

Nonsense, keep doing what you're doing, she is wrong.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 20-Dec-15 10:17:24

Fucking vaccine conspiracy theorists.

No one knows what causes autism.

DixieNormas Sun 20-Dec-15 10:26:50

Ds4 has asd, I have no idea what caused it but don't think it had anything to do with what I consumed during pg or bf.

possibly genetic, possibly something to do with how the brain developed during pg. Who knows for sure but I think people coming out with this sort of crap when there is no reliable evidence are twats.

Let's just put the blame on the mother, bit like years ago when asd was blamed on 'refrigerator mothers'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now