Talk

Advanced search

Alibi to think this is disgusting re:elderly

(63 Posts)
FairyFluffbum Sat 19-Dec-15 17:32:57

The new proposal for this council is to charge £26 a year to help the elderly back on to their feet if they fall. If they don't pay the charge they have to call 999 for help.

I think this is awful. Not only for the nhs as its a waste of time for a 999 call but for the pensioner itself.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/essex-council-to-charge-2592-lifting-charge-to-help-elderly-up-when-they-fall-a6778376.html

Sorry don't know how to link

AuntieStella Sat 19-Dec-15 17:38:25

You make clicks links by putting double square brackets (no spaces) round it

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/essex-council-to-charge-2592-lifting-charge-to-help-elderly-up-when-they-fall-a6778376.html

VulcanWoman Sat 19-Dec-15 17:42:03

Yes, but what happens now is 999 get called anyway. Least the £26 will stop some of the 999 calls.

VulcanWoman Sat 19-Dec-15 17:47:04

Even though cuts for other things should come first.
Like when the government have meetings over dinner, err, just have your meeting and eat at home, not at the tax payers expense.

thelouise Sat 19-Dec-15 17:47:51

Many people will pay the £26 per year and it will reduce the burden on the ambulance service.

GoooRooo Sat 19-Dec-15 17:47:57

I live in that council. It's absolutely disgraceful and I have done the very middle class thing and written to complain to them.

thelouise Sat 19-Dec-15 18:00:04

I think some people are missing a pertinent point; older people on the floor are very low priority for the ambulance service, so they could be waiting for hours. Careline responders are usually pretty quick.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 19-Dec-15 18:09:50

Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this. I am a careline responder for a large local authority (not Essex Council though). We have a 30 min response time but because we cover areas close to where we live we generally respond much quicker. If we are in any doubt about whether someone is injured we won't move them and call an ambulance. thelouise is absolutely correct. I have waited for anything up to 5 hours for an ambulance in these circumstances.

FairyFluffbum Sat 19-Dec-15 18:10:37

Yes they could be waiting for hours but why should they have to pay £26? It could be a lot of money for a pensioner.

If they are trying to save money why don't they charge the binge drinkers who are passed out in the streets? Most don't need any medical attention, just a chance to sleep it off. Some do need attention as they drink so much they end up nearly killing themselves but why should the elderly have to suffer so idiots can get pissed?

Feefifofam Sat 19-Dec-15 18:13:03

My DGM has a neck alarm (about a fiver a week) and she would pay for this happily.

It's not disgusting, it's an extra care service that is aimed at reducing the number of 999 calls and the burden on our massively stretched NHS.

It's to cover the cost of a carer attending if someone falls but is otherwise uninjured. If they are injured, the carer would still call an ambulance.

Council's are also massively struggling, particularly to cover the cost of adult social care which takes up a huge chunk of their hugely reduced budgets.

It's not something the council can offer for free, but it is something they can offer at a relatively small charge to reduce otherwise unnecessary 999 calls.

whois Sat 19-Dec-15 18:14:25

Id rather pay £26 and have someone come and help me up in a timely fashion, than call 999 and be a total burden lie there for house waiting as I'm not an emergency, and have a qualified paramedic come and help me up when they could have been doing something which actually required their qualifications.

Feefifofam Sat 19-Dec-15 18:14:39

Apologies for the horrendous apostrophe in council's as well - I blame the mulled wine!

thelouise Sat 19-Dec-15 18:14:56

"Yes they could be waiting for hours but why should they have to pay £26? It could be a lot of money for a pensioner."

Careline is a private company though. They can charge what they like! I'm not saying it's acceptable. Of course, it would be preferable that paramedics respond quickly, get the older person back on their feet and move on but if that can't happen, I see this as a good thing.

UndramaticPause Sat 19-Dec-15 18:15:12

£26 a year is what, 50p a week?

Careline is usually run by district councils and is usually something you pay for (my grandparents pay for theirs). You'd certainly be expected to pay for the same service through age UK or similar.

Typical anti tory rhetoric that when you look into it in more detail actually makes sense.

hiddenhome2 Sat 19-Dec-15 18:15:38

I think it's a good idea. £26 a year isn't much at all and it'll free up the ambulance service for what they're meant to be doing.

UndramaticPause Sat 19-Dec-15 18:17:58

The other thing is Tendring has the largest elderly population in the UK and is suffering the effects of the cuts all of us round the UK are feeling. Why shouldn't people be made to pay for a service that would otherwise cost hundreds of pounds (ambulance) and put others at risk because it diverts limited resources?

Feefifofam Sat 19-Dec-15 18:18:12

It's worth remembering as well that the council budget and the NHS budget is separate. Charging drunk people isn't the issue here.

The council is trying to do something that will reduce the burden on the NHS, at a relatively small cost to an older person, but that they can't do for nothing.

I think it should be applauded, it's actually very sensible.

Samcro Sat 19-Dec-15 18:21:31

most people pay for an emergency button

rainbowunicorn Sat 19-Dec-15 18:23:30

I think this is a fantastic idea, 50p a week really is not a lot for anyone to manage. It will reduce the burden on our already overstretched NHS

CallieTorres Sat 19-Dec-15 18:27:28

I thought it was 26 a time...

For an annual charger I think it's ok

UndramaticPause Sat 19-Dec-15 18:29:03

Read the article then. It's an annual charge.

Chattymummyhere Sat 19-Dec-15 18:39:50

Alot cheaper than what my grandad pays for his alarm for if he has a fall as the council won't help. Don't see the issue to be honest, £26 for something that many people pay a fortune for, grandad would bite the councils hand off for that price.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 19-Dec-15 18:40:13

It's really important that when an older person falls that they are lifted really quickly. Skeletal muscle start to break down the longer they are on the floor. So even if they haven't injured themselves when they fell, lying on the floor for hours waiting for an ambulance to get to them causes all sorts of problems.

WhirlwindHugs Sat 19-Dec-15 18:45:02

I think it's a good idea tbh, especially if it means they are seen sooner. Our elderly relative uses careline and it's been very helpful.

(and I am not a Tory fan!)

Redglitter Sat 19-Dec-15 18:47:22

Several of these companies who charge just now do nothing more than phone 999 or 101. Some of them are a total rip off as it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now