Talk

Advanced search

car seats and car crash?

(20 Posts)
MsJamieFraser Sat 19-Dec-15 09:17:00

Just after advice with this, our car was parked in our cul-de-sac, and our neighbour when going to work at 6 am drove straight into our car, (she apparently did not see it) its likely it will be written off, as the cost to repair will be worth more than the car (2 new doors needed, frame bent, bonnet bent etc...)

However I am worried about our children's car seats, no one was in the car, it was stationary, so not sure if seats would be affected, does any one know.

Sounds silly, because I think I know the answer, but keep having this nagging doubt, of what if hmm

LizziW Sat 19-Dec-15 09:19:23

Tell your insurance you had seats in the car, they will claim for new car seats. If the car was badly damaged its best to get new ones.

WowOoo Sat 19-Dec-15 09:19:26

What a pain for you. Hope you can get everything sorted soon.

I think the advice is to replace car seats. Her insurance should cover it.

Waffles80 Sat 19-Dec-15 09:20:14

Not sure - but some insurers replace car seats as a matter of course, even if the bump was seemingly inconsequential. Worth calling to check?

MaximumVolume Sat 19-Dec-15 09:21:45

They should be part of the insurance claim. We had a car seat where the polystyrene head protection had a cracking. John Lewis replaced the entire seat immediately without question (it was 18 months old at that point - 23rd guarantee). An impact to write off a car may have caused a similar weakness. Glad everyone is okay. Was your neighbour still drink from previous evening?

CurlsLDN Sat 19-Dec-15 09:22:40

My dh recently bumped another car, hardly any damage was done. We have a britax seat and found clear guidance on their website of what would constitute a strong enough bump to warrant changing the seats. If your car is likely to be written off I would 100% say you need to change the sear

MaximumVolume Sat 19-Dec-15 09:22:42

So sorry about my autocorrect nonsense!

TimeToMuskUp Sat 19-Dec-15 09:22:55

I had an accident a few years ago in ice where my car spun on black ice. DS2 (then 2) was in the car and DS1 was at school. The insurance company replaced both seats like-for-like without even querying it, I'd assumed they'd replace DS2's and leave DS1's as nobody was using it, they said their policy was that both must be disposed of. Knowing that, I'd always replace because god forbid any of them were damaged you'd probably never know until there was an accident and they failed/jammed.

Some risks are worth taking. Car seats are absolutely not worth risking.

DustyCropHopper Sat 19-Dec-15 09:22:59

My friend's car was parked up and empty when someone drove into it. The insurance company replaced the car seats.

CurlsLDN Sat 19-Dec-15 09:23:03

Sorry, seat. But check the manufacturers site

MsJamieFraser Sat 19-Dec-15 09:31:56

we don't have the receipts or anything, would that matter? (ds1 his is 4-5 years old and ds2, his is 3-4 years old.

Thank you for the advice, Max she just went to work hmm her dad knocked us up at 7am to tell us. Its a massive pitta, and we are glad all she is fine, the whole thing is a pain tho, constant calls from our insurers, her insurance, loan car, having to wait in for them to collect our car (still in the drive) etc...

I will defo be telling dh to phone them about the car seats, He thought they would be OK as the boys weren't in them, but I had my doubts.

Dh been driving for 14 years and this is our first experience of this where children are concerned.

Someone bumped into dh when I was 4 months pregnant, but was 10 years ago.

MsJamieFraser Sat 19-Dec-15 09:35:25

excuse the errors, our household is plagued with a bug at the moment.

TimeToMuskUp Sat 19-Dec-15 09:42:02

Nope, receipts won't matter, we didn't have them for either seat, we just told them the name/style and they sent us the money to replace them.

The only suggestion I will make is that you must be careful if you dispose of the old ones; we weren't sure where to go with the boys ones after my crash and asked down at our local tip. The man I spoke to said if we left them there they'd probably be taken and re-used because they recycle everything there. We ended up taking them there and watching as they stripped them right down, taking the foam, harnesses and covers all apart and dismantling the plastic because I was so worried someone would reuse them and end up injuring a child. Some insurance companies will get rid of them for you, but ours wasn't one of those.

specialsubject Sat 19-Dec-15 10:25:13

they will be part of the claim. I also had a parked car written off by a neighbour (reverse IN to drives, dipstick!) and one of the first questions the insurers asked was 'were there any child seats in it?'

be prepared for 3 years of scam calls and having to declare the accident for the next 5 when you get insurance quotes.

and park well away from your neighbour in future, that's a HELL of a smash, she sounds a really bad driver. We moved away, although not directly as a result of the collision!

CharmingChampignon Sat 19-Dec-15 10:36:31

The insurance company replaced ours with no quibble at all - and insisted the straps were cut on the old ones so that no one could reuse without knowing they'd been in an accident. (I did beg the covers back to hold onto as spares tho)

MsJamieFraser Sat 19-Dec-15 10:37:03

the calls have already started, dh received one yesterday, no one has asked about car seats yet, but I have told dh he needs to tell them about them.

shes a hellish driver, work mate was picking me up one day and I have no idea what she was doing but work mate had to turn into a grass bank because again she did not see her hmm neighbours complain all the time as she drives into the cul-de-sac like boy racer!, with two kids in the back!

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Sat 19-Dec-15 11:28:50

He was probably texting or fiddling with the radio. Has she even apologised yet?

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Sat 19-Dec-15 11:29:08

She, sorry.

wasonthelist Sat 19-Dec-15 11:29:21

Maybe she actually can't see - she wouldn't be alone. There are plenty of people driving with uncorrected eyesight below the (pitifully low) legal standard.

specialsubject Sat 19-Dec-15 11:30:10

the kids in the back are probably the safest people around (assuming she uses car seats) - it is the people she is going to run down and the damage she is causing that is the issue.

make very sure this goes through insurance.

brutally - pity she wasn't injured. might have made her think a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now