Talk

Advanced search

To phone the estate agent about the parking on the flat they're renting out?

(15 Posts)
Skullyton Fri 18-Dec-15 16:19:42

There is a flat opposite us whose previous tenants have been giving us and another 4 of our neighbours absolute chaos over parking.

The flat has 2 allocated parking spaces around the back of the flat.

We live in an old terrace, so there is only our driveways which fit one car each, then a narrow pavement and a 'road' of about 2 car widths before you then get the front door of the flat and the outside wall of its garage (upstairs flat garages underneath, garage doors are around the back with the parking spaces)

However, simply because they're lazy, the flat residents keep parking there rather than in their proper spaces so they dont have to walk around! This means we all end up blocked in!

We have made frequent complaints, we've also tried to get some bollards removed to make more room, but the council refuse and tell us to tell the flat people to use their own spaces (which we do)

The flats just gone up to let, the old folks moved out, would it be unreasonable to call the letting agent and explain the situation and ask them to make sure whoever rents it this time understands THEY CANT PARK THERE?

honeysucklejasmine Fri 18-Dec-15 16:21:47

Can the council not put some lines down?

MuttonWasAGoose Fri 18-Dec-15 16:23:29

The agents can't make lazy people use the spots. Hopefully the new neighbours will be reasonable.

Jeffjefftyjeff Fri 18-Dec-15 16:24:50

If they've just moved out the owner is likely to be popping in to check things over. So write a letter to 'the owner' emphasising the problems and maybe they will also put pressure on the estate agent?

Skullyton Fri 18-Dec-15 16:25:13

honey, no, the road is a private residents only road. Its all brick Pavier, so no lines on it anywhere.

OurBlanche Fri 18-Dec-15 16:35:26

Write/email the agent now. Outline the issues you have had in the past and ask them to underline the parking in the flat with the new tenants.

Then email them every single time the newbies bother you - if they do!

Don't worry about bothering the Agent, tis part of their job!

Myhousetoday Fri 18-Dec-15 16:41:43

If it's a private road, paint your own lines?

Dipankrispaneven Fri 18-Dec-15 16:49:49

Maybe ask them to include in the tenancy agreement a specific term that the tenants must not park in the road and/or obstruct other tenants, and ask them to underline to the tenants that if they get complaints the agreement will be terminated?

EssentialHummus Fri 18-Dec-15 17:01:59

Sorry - why exactly would the agents care?

If the landlord is involved/amenable, a contractual clause specifying parking sounds a good idea.

If not, I'd be writing a letter to attach the car each time this happens (it can be the same letter each time, no need to go full Shakespeare), explaining that they are parking on private property. You can pretend to report to council to - they may not know it's a private road.

This is a terribly cruel and anti-social thing to say, but were I in your shoes, if this behaviour continued long-term they might not find the car in the same pristine condition they'd left it in.

EssentialHummus Fri 18-Dec-15 17:02:29

*too

OurBlanche Fri 18-Dec-15 17:06:54

Sorry? All the agents I work with would deal with it. Why? Because it is their job and they are fairly professional.

Not all LAs are gobshites, just like many LLs are reasonable people!

EssentialHummus Fri 18-Dec-15 17:13:39

The agents might do it out of goodwill, but their only duty is to the landlord. At a push they have an obligation to the tenant. Tenant's neighbours? Nope.

I'm not sure if it's a regional thing, but I've not met a letting agent within the M25 who'd assist/accommodate anyone who wasn't a paying client. It doesn't make them gobshites, it just means that they are quite aware of where their obligations end.

OurBlanche Fri 18-Dec-15 17:16:35

Ah! Thankfully I live far outside the M25.

The usual suspects round here would respond positively so that they get to keep their name out of the gossip corner. They have to deal with the whole community, so they would ensure their tenants were more considerate.

EssentialHummus Fri 18-Dec-15 17:18:58

Well, OP may as well try.

I've had the same difference in reaction with estate agents inside/outside London - I remember the first time an EA in Kent said they'd phone me back and then actually phoned me back. It seemed quite miraculous.

OurBlanche Fri 18-Dec-15 17:52:41

fgrin did you fall over backwards with surprise? Check for pigs overhead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now