Talk

Advanced search

To msg a school Mum I don't know

(411 Posts)
Hackedabove Fri 18-Dec-15 06:27:52

Regarding her posting a video of the school carol service on FB?

She has tagged in one of my friends so it's come up on my news feed. I'm shocked as it shows loads of them. Probably can't see mine but only because they were hidden.

I was thinking a gentle do you know it's totally unacceptable?

Or email the class rep so a blanket email goes out to all classes via the class reps?

Or contact the school and let them deal with it?

Spurtle Fri 18-Dec-15 06:29:39

My school sent a a text reminder the day after the nativity to remind parents to not put videos up. The HT said she had been made aware of several already. People can be so selfish.

Hackedabove Fri 18-Dec-15 06:35:39

I've just watched it. You can't see one of mine because he's standing behind a taller child. You can see about 30 children of various ages.

Her child is in yr2, mine are yr3 and 5. One of the woman that has liked it has posted her child's dance exam results previously, including other children's names on the list so the post has been applauded by some.

Sirzy Fri 18-Dec-15 06:36:48

Did the school specifically say no photos/videos online?

I would mention it to the school and let them deal with it as they see fit

VashtaNerada Fri 18-Dec-15 06:37:59

Is it your child that shouldn't be on social media or another child that you know of? Or is it more a general concern? If it's your child I would certainly message them and politely explain (without going into details) that there's a good reason why their image can't be shared. Anything else I would contact the school and ask them to do a general reminder to parents.

Hackedabove Fri 18-Dec-15 06:41:13

No as I said you can't see either of mine. It's an unspoken rule that we don't post on social media. So yes I think contacting th school may be the best option. Unfortunately they broke up Wednesday and I'm not sure I'll get hold of anyone now.

TaliZorah Fri 18-Dec-15 06:47:50

Very precious.

If I had that message, I'd laugh. Sorry

DonkeyOaty Fri 18-Dec-15 06:50:42

The thing is, if its an unspoken rule then you have no chance.

Do tell school, email prob best, then leave it.

Some people are right twats. Grrrrr.

Ubik1 Fri 18-Dec-15 06:52:59

Lots ofviode

Ubik1 Fri 18-Dec-15 06:53:53

Lots of videos/photos on social media from parents at our school confused
No one seems to mind.

Narp Fri 18-Dec-15 06:54:07

I would be annoyed, but would probably leave it, then contact the school and ask them to clarify the Social Media policy.

Unfortunately, I think despite your efforts, thoughtless, selfish people will do it anyway.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 18-Dec-15 06:55:53

If the school have finished then that option is out.

I'd leave it and tut at her stupidity.

StitchingMoss Fri 18-Dec-15 06:58:02

Tali, it's not precious. There are very good safeguarding reasons for parents being asked by schools not to share these things on social media.

OP, contact the school and ask for a reminder to be sent out.

StitchingMoss Fri 18-Dec-15 06:58:58

Oops, sorry, just read school is finished. Can u ask ur mutual friend to ask her to take it down?

knaffedoff Fri 18-Dec-15 07:02:39

Talizorah, shocked that you would find someone else's valid safeguarding concerns funny, really confused

Fatfreefaff Fri 18-Dec-15 07:02:57

At my kids' music school there were some children who had been removed from their families who lived fairly locally. They asked everyone not to make group videos and post them on social media for that reason. Didn't stop some fuckers though.

Primary school videod the whole play/nativity etc and sold copies to parents.

I would ask the school to clarify its policy and enforce it by asking people to put their cameras away.

rainbowstardrops Fri 18-Dec-15 07:03:12

Stitching I was about to say the exact same thing. It is NOT precious, it is safeguarding!
We have children at school who are on child protection registers. Our SLT specifically informed parents/carers to not post photos or videos on social media of any other child but their own. Some still did. Selfish, ignorant people.

Hackedabove Fri 18-Dec-15 07:03:59

I would never post a pic of someone else's child without their permission. Although we don't ask the children and it's their image on the internet forever...

PhoenixRises Fri 18-Dec-15 07:06:20

We were asked specifically not to share pictures on social media. I haven't done so, other than in a secret/private group with family and then only cropped shots of my DS.

You never know the background to other families so it's just not worth it.

Enjolrass Fri 18-Dec-15 07:06:58

Personally I would email the school.

At both our schools the email is picked up even over the holidays.

You can't really message her asking her to take it down, if it's an unspoken rule.

Unspoken rules aren't rules at all.

Hackedabove Fri 18-Dec-15 07:07:04

I wouldn't want to be the one to trigger a no cameras rule. I think it's great we are allowed to film/video and occasionally in the past the head has said about social media, but I think he needs to each time.

Passthecake30 Fri 18-Dec-15 07:07:55

We have that policy at our school, and things popped up on FB yesterday with one of my dc on. So I understand how you feel. I don't mind really (although it's annoying as I don't post personally on fb) but if you do, I'd raise it with the school to remind parents when they go back. They can take it off their thread then?

x2boys Fri 18-Dec-15 07:07:55

I would tell school and let them deal with it i,m not very good with confrontation.

Bunbaker Fri 18-Dec-15 07:08:20

I agree that you should email school, with a link to the video and let them deal with it. It isn't a big to deal to some parents, but it is to others. I also think it is very presumptive of the parent who uploaded the video.

Hurr1cane Fri 18-Dec-15 07:10:18

We're allowed to in DSs new school and no one minds, but in his old one there was a lot of cared for children, so it would have been a safeguarding issue. The school made this VERY clear at the beginning and end of the play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now