Talk

Advanced search

Wrapping presents in newspaper... Just what do you think?

(59 Posts)
Nataleejah Fri 18-Dec-15 05:46:52

Creative, or else?

GladysTheGolem Fri 18-Dec-15 05:58:04

I like it, and would still do it if DH wasn't so anti if (wasteful git).
Perfect for DVDs/games/books!

GastonsPomPomWrath Fri 18-Dec-15 05:58:30

It'd be really grubby wouldn't it? Newspaper print rubs off.

MrsRonBurgundy Fri 18-Dec-15 05:58:38

It would make me think cheap before I thought creative to be honest. And I would really not want mucky fingers from the ink when I'm opening my presents!

rembrandtsrockchick Fri 18-Dec-15 05:58:55

Iron it. Don't use tabloid size. Use prit stick or similar to glue down the edges. Tie with very pretty ribbon/tape.

I use newspaper and sometimes glue magazine photographs on too. If done carefully it looks rather classy.

I am also a fan of brown parcel paper combined with fancy ribbon.

ICJump Fri 18-Dec-15 06:00:17

It's family tradition to wrap in newspaper.

steff13 Fri 18-Dec-15 06:00:33

I feel like the ink would get on my hands and make me feel cranky. And I can't remember the last time I actually touched a physical newspaper.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Fri 18-Dec-15 06:14:05

I like anything a bit different so it's a yes from me 😊

TaliZorah Fri 18-Dec-15 06:15:18

I want to say yes but you'd get ink everywhere.

I wrap mine in brown paper and ribbon.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 18-Dec-15 06:22:18

I think that newspaper wrapped gifts, along with brown paper wrapped gifts, look wonderful when surrounded by fecking mega expensive baubles and wotnots in a Nigella cookbook (or a Nigel kitchen) but the reality when normal people do it is a bit rubbish tbh.

I love what this looks like in posh coffee table books, don't get me wrong, but like RonBurgundy, I'd raise an eyebrow if I received any.

Blueredballoon Fri 18-Dec-15 06:22:58

I really like it, but the ink puts me off. I like it done in the slightly pink newspaper. Or brown paper as others have said.

Although if anyone is kindly buying me a present, they can wrap it how they like! smile

TaliZorah Fri 18-Dec-15 06:23:50

I'd raise an eyebrow if I received any.
confused

Even if you don't like the wrapping paper why do that? Why not just be grateful for the gifts?

Nataleejah Fri 18-Dec-15 06:24:13

I do the newspaper/magazine thing at home always. Just wondering if i'd be misunderstood when giving presents to other people.

claraschu Fri 18-Dec-15 06:35:49

All you people who are worried about ink- do you never touch newspapers? I have never been covered in ink when reading a newspaper.

It's a family tradition for us too. We are not cheap, as the newspaper often covers lovely, thoughtful, and sometimes pricey gifts. I hate wasting paper- just seems so wanton to use precious resources this way. If you mix in some presents wrapped in red and some ribbons, the pile looks lovely.

My main problem in England is that the only remaining broadsheet newspaper is the Torygraph, which I would be embarrassed to use, even if I were willing to filch it from my neighbours' recycling bins. My husband brought me back a pile of second hand New York Timeses which he picked up as he he left a flight recently. I am very pleased with this.

herecomesthsun Fri 18-Dec-15 06:47:15

Guardian?

Narp Fri 18-Dec-15 06:48:39

The look of it is fine, but newsprint on hands - don't like that

clara- I read the Guardian and it's very inky

elephantoverthehill Fri 18-Dec-15 06:49:53

I've done it before and used 'chip shop' paper with potato prints of holly leaves.

Narp Fri 18-Dec-15 06:50:01

I have used posters in the past, or left-over wallpaper, or brown paper with interesting sticky tape.

Blueredballoon Fri 18-Dec-15 06:58:54

I worked in a newsagents and so I certainly have read/ handled plenty of newspapers- and always had grubby hands as a result!

claraschu Fri 18-Dec-15 06:59:51

The Guardian is not broadsheet. I like the really big sheets for my wrapping.

claraschu Fri 18-Dec-15 07:00:55

If you are handling newspapers all day long, I'm not surprised ou got inky, but just unwrapping a couple of presents?

Whathaveilost Fri 18-Dec-15 07:05:32

I would think it was odd and that if it wasn't something you've been doing for years and it was a family tradition like others have been doing that you were trying too hard to be different.

I wouldn't like it.

Narp Fri 18-Dec-15 07:06:22

clara

OK, well you are clearly right and I know nothing

noeffingidea Fri 18-Dec-15 07:07:54

I would think it looked shit, tbh. But each to their own.

wigglesrock Fri 18-Dec-15 07:22:41

Tbh I'd think it was a bit too cool for school/touch of the pretentious. I wouldn't be losing sleep over it but it would fall into the eyerollery emotion for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now