Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone else had a weird facebook message from an unknown person?

(140 Posts)
katemiddletonsothermum Thu 17-Dec-15 23:02:00

Someone I don't believe even exists has sent me a message on facebook saying that DH is cheating on me. I think it's a spam, like those emails you get from Nigeria saying you've won twenty million quid if you would only give them your bank details.

I've googled her name, it doesn't exist. I'm convinced it's a fake account and I'll be hacked if I go anywhere near her facebook account.

Has anyone else received strange messages from unknown people? Please answer, before I attack DH with the carving knife.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:03:18

Did they mention him by name? Is he listed as your DH on your Facebook page? Is your page public?

TwoSmellyDogs Thu 17-Dec-15 23:03:30

It's a scam. I hope you haven't clicked any links or responded to the friend request?

SummerNights1986 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:06:18

How does it read? Can you c&p here?

katemiddletonsothermum Thu 17-Dec-15 23:07:13

My facebook page is very private and no, she doesn't mention him by name. It says "Your husband has been cheating on you and I think you should know. Even tonight." - which is unfortunate timing as it's the work Christmas party and he isn't home yet!!

I haven't clicked on anything, have just gone back to my homepage and then I'll shut facebook down for the night.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:08:51

Weird scam... Can't imagine the point. Unless she'll give you a link to view the "evidence".

SummerNights1986 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:09:48

I would definitely look at the persons fb page and see if any friends in common etc.

Just looking at a fb profile - how could that harm?

katemiddletonsothermum Thu 17-Dec-15 23:09:52

No, nothing else - but apparently I have to click on a button to accept the message. As if.

SummerNights1986 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:10:46

DM the name op, i'll look for you!

SummerNights1986 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:11:46

I don't think fb messages could be 'hacked' to that degree? To change the structure iyswim, insert a button that has to be clicked?

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:12:15

To accept the message? Why would you need to do that when you've read it? Is that a FB thing?

mrstiggy Thu 17-Dec-15 23:13:33

You do have to click to accept messages from people not on your friends list though I think. So if I'm right that would be normal procedure.

Fox28 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:13:40

You have to click to accept a message from anyone who isn't your "friend" now

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:14:02

Oh. Weird.

Havetohaveanewchufffingaccount Thu 17-Dec-15 23:14:34

Sounds odd. My FB says message request and I have to accept to show I read it. Not sure if that's how hackers work

SummerNights1986 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:16:03

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3293467/RIP-Facebook-s-inbox-Social-network-rolls-Message-Requests-feature-lets-contact-you.html

Look at this op - being asked to 'accept' a message from a non-friend is a new fb feature. Seems legit.

katemiddletonsothermum Thu 17-Dec-15 23:16:57

Havetohaveanew - YES - I got this message request, I read the message and at the bottom of the screen is the accept button saying I have to click on this to show I have read the message.

Arfarfanarf Thu 17-Dec-15 23:18:18

I had one saying black men should not marry white women.

Dick.
Ive also had friend requests from clearly fake accounts.

If you are on the real facebook, theres no danger to your computer of clicking to see a message. If you clicked on any links then youre vulnerable but anything just on fb is fine.

lighteningirl Thu 17-Dec-15 23:18:29

It's not a scam as there's no money in it, it's either pure nastiness by someone your dh has upset or its faux concern from a woman he's messing about.

Havetohaveanewchufffingaccount Thu 17-Dec-15 23:18:39

And the profile goes to home page?

SquareStarfish Thu 17-Dec-15 23:20:10

I don't really see how it can be a scam. Just reading messages and having a snoop at the profile won't do anything. Just don't click any links on her page.

Havetohaveanewchufffingaccount Thu 17-Dec-15 23:21:02

And dint accidentally friend request or like it... Which tends to happen to me when I am snooping 😂

katemiddletonsothermum Thu 17-Dec-15 23:22:31

I haven't clicked on her profile at all, I've just ignored it. Apart from blasting it all over mumsnet, of course.

SisterMoonshine Thu 17-Dec-15 23:23:06

Uh oh.
There's a chance it is genuine then.

Havetohaveanewchufffingaccount Thu 17-Dec-15 23:23:47

I would look. Then block if you think it's suspicious

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now