Talk

Advanced search

Real dilemma about Christmas - WWYD

(208 Posts)
notamum3210 Thu 17-Dec-15 19:22:33

My fiancé and I have been a couple for just over 6 years and we're getting married next year.
I'm at a loss at what to do about Christmas. My family are from a religious background where we don't celebrate Christmas although we still give friends and neighbours Christmas cards.
My fiancé's family do Christmas in a BIG way. This year is set to be their biggest yet - there'll be about 10 family members there including my fiancé's sister's baby and his brother's 10 year old. It's really special to have them together as some family live abroad.
Anyway- since I've been with my fiancé I have spent Christmas Day with his family. As I never had Christmas growing up its really wonderful - very special.
A couple of years ago my parents went away on holiday and I looked after my brother for a week or so. He was 9 at the time and as it coincided with Christmas my future mother in law kindly invited him along- he LOVED it and it was very very special. They even got him some pressies and I did too just so he wouldn't feel left out when all was being opened under the tree.

Fast forward to this year and I've been invited for Christmas again and I don't know whether I should go. My brother is now 11 and I know he would be heartbroken if I got to have a Christmas and he didn't. I've asked my fiancé if he could come along (he really isn't any trouble) but he's said that it probably would be too much of a full house. I imagine my mil would say yes but I don't want to put her under more pressure as she's cooking for a lot of people and it's the biggest Christmas yet.
I know his family have bought presents for me and are assuming I'm coming. I just don't know what to do. I want to go but I hate the idea of my younger brother sitting at home with no company while I'm out enjoying myself.

Advice?

MissFitt68 Thu 17-Dec-15 19:25:58

Stay in a B and B? Offer to bring a dish/help in kitchen

But what happens next year, and year after? How do your parents feel about it all?

Branleuse Thu 17-Dec-15 19:26:58

I think it will be the same every year, and the invite cant always extend to your extended family. I think saying he would be heartbroken is a bit much.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 17-Dec-15 19:29:02

I can't see that one little boy would make much difference if there's a crowd of people anyway. But yes, what would your parents say? And what about all the future years?

ImperialBlether Thu 17-Dec-15 19:30:08

But the in laws are benefitting from the OP never wanting to spend Christmas with her own family, aren't they? The alternative would be for them to have their son go to his own in laws every other year.

And what's one extra child when they are inviting so many?

Floralnomad Thu 17-Dec-15 19:31:35

Did you not worry about your brother last year ?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 17-Dec-15 19:32:49

The obvious thing to do is to have a sensitive chat with your parents about meeting their child's needs

Which they're not doing

PegsPigs Thu 17-Dec-15 19:32:56

It's Christmas when if the little boy didn't go he'd have no Christmas. Ask your MIL about how you can help her make it a regular thing without putting too much strain on her. Family is family whether it's DH's aunty or my brother.

Floggingmolly Thu 17-Dec-15 19:33:19

God, I wouldn't turn him away. Definitely at least ask. How sad for him that his only experience of a magical Christmas was provided by someone else's family...
How do your parents feel about him going, btw?

notamum3210 Thu 17-Dec-15 19:33:36

My whole family were on holiday last year so it wasn't relevant.
Sorry I realise my op didn't make it clear- we've spent every Christmas together apart from last year.

I'm not so worried about future years as my brother will be getting older. He's still quite young..
And by 'going over' it's not a case at staying at my in laws- our parents don't live far apart so it would be a 10 minute drive for Christmas morning and lunch rather than sleeping over.

Ughnotagain Thu 17-Dec-15 19:33:51

Yeah, what did you do last year?

PurpleDaisies Thu 17-Dec-15 19:34:14

Could you and your brother to Christmas lunch together and go round to your fiancé's family later?

notamum3210 Thu 17-Dec-15 19:34:30

My parents are very happy for him to go along. They're not grinches or the kind of people who hate the idea of Christmas it's just not something we do as a family.

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 17-Dec-15 19:34:44

If he last came a couple of years ago what happened last year?

TBH Id not ask to bring him as its a little forward, and would it become an annual thing?

Id maybe do a little celebration at home with your OH and brother a different day?

titchy Thu 17-Dec-15 19:35:34

Errrr if your brother is from a religion that doesn't celebrate Christmas why on earth should he expect to be celebrating Christmas and devastated if he doesn't? It was kind of your in laws to invite him last year, but that was only because you were looking after him, which you're not this year.

titchy Thu 17-Dec-15 19:37:19

I don't think my kids were devastated by not celebrating Diwali or Eid or Hannukuh - it's the same thing surely?

notamum3210 Thu 17-Dec-15 19:37:20

I totally agree titchy. My WWYD is about whether or not I should go. I'm not expecting them to invite him again as nice as it would be.

PurpleDaisies Thu 17-Dec-15 19:37:34

titchy Isn't it the parents who are followers of that religion? The brother is not automatically a believer because his parents are.

ColdWhiteWinePlease Thu 17-Dec-15 19:37:53

You could either be very direct, and say to MIL "Jonny absolutely loved having Christmas day here last time. My family don't celebrate it. Would you mind awfully if he came with me this year? It's so lovely here, you do a great Christmas"

Or, be a bit covert. get your fiance to say to his Mum "notamum is feeling really sorry for Jonny not getting to celebrate Christmas, it's rubbish for him" At which point she will say "bring him here".

Duckdeamon Thu 17-Dec-15 19:38:15

I think your H is being the grinch and as you say your DB is well behaved would insist on asking MIL and FIL, who will probably say yes!

notamum3210 Thu 17-Dec-15 19:39:13

And no it's not quite the same thing titchy.
It's not easy as a kid growing up in the UK where from mid November every year all shops, tv adverts and school art projects are dominated by Christmas talk.
I see why you made the comparison but it's quite short sighted and really not the same. Sorry.

titchy Thu 17-Dec-15 19:42:23

Well Jewish parents tend to have kids brought up as Jewish so it's reasonable to assume the younger brother isn't exactly missing out as some have suggested.

OP there is no reason why you shouldn't go to theirs. It's not a family celebratory time for your family - I assume you make the effort to see your family and celebrate events with them at other times. Yes they'll get you presents - but does your brother expect a present every time you get one? Why can't your finances family just buy something for you at any time, including Christmas.

Cel982 Thu 17-Dec-15 19:42:32

Why wouldn't you go yourself? You're 'marrying into' this family, you enjoy celebrating Christmas with them - not going just because they haven't thought to invite your brother this year (which I wouldn't expect them to, really) seems a little petty. Your family don't celebrate Christmas, so it's not like you're choosing your in-laws over them.

poocatcherchampion Thu 17-Dec-15 19:42:52

I'd ask mil.

titchy Thu 17-Dec-15 19:43:36

But that's exactly what your parents and brother HAVE been doing up until last year....confused sorry am not really getting the dilemma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now