Talk

Advanced search

To lock the next people in?

(80 Posts)
EatShitDerek Thu 17-Dec-15 18:32:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SevenOfNineTrue Thu 17-Dec-15 18:39:03

You'd get in trouble but I understand your frustration; I've been there.

When I worked in retail it was so hard to get rid of some stragglers. They seemed oblivious to the fact that the shop was closed and the staff wanted to go home and were not being paid to ask them to leave! All this on top of a closing tannoy read out in a number of languages so very few people could claim ignorance of the time.

EatShitDerek Thu 17-Dec-15 18:48:58

NellysKnickers Thu 17-Dec-15 19:07:48

Do it. I've never even worked in a shop but feel your frustration. I used to work in a pub 20 odd years ago and the same fucking bastards would come in just before last orders and nurse their drinks for ages. We used to put on "Saturday Night" by Whitfield, loud and on repeat, this lessened their desire to stay fgrin

NellysKnickers Thu 17-Dec-15 19:08:41

Whigfield. Stupid autocorrelation

NellysKnickers Thu 17-Dec-15 19:08:54

Oh ffs

NeedsAMousekatool Thu 17-Dec-15 19:10:01

Christmas fucking Eve a few years ago, shop shut at 6, I had plans funny enough and people came in and started shopping at 5.55pm. Fuckers. YANBU.

CarcerDun Thu 17-Dec-15 19:10:46

Nelly I was once in a pub where they turned all the lights out on us at ten past eleven. We were still finishing our drinks. The batty old ladies behind the bar just sat there in silence, never even asked us to leave. Luckily DH had a torch with him so we finished our drinks and found our way out. Nutty.

NellysKnickers Thu 17-Dec-15 19:13:19

Ha. No we waited until 11.30/11.45, after everything g else was done and they were sipping on average once every 5 minutes!

EponasWildDaughter Thu 17-Dec-15 19:13:31

I've done it. I've locked them in. (but not left them)

Worked in lots of small shops and the easiest way to get rid of latecomers is to lock the door. Clunk.

Most people hate the idea of being locked in and will quickly ask to be let out. Big smile. Yes, of course, out you bloody go, good night smile

JapaneseSlipper Thu 17-Dec-15 19:14:13

lol @ Nelly

EatShitDerek Thu 17-Dec-15 19:15:15

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 17-Dec-15 19:46:17

I used to work in a call centre, complaints for a bank.

I was already pissed off because due to a scheduling cock up I was in instead of off.

And then this woman rang and proceeded to keep me on the phone for half an hour past finishing time. I get that she was annoyed, but at 630 on Xmas eve what the hell did she think anyone could do?!

She actually said I was wasting her time and ruining her day as she had a family to get to - to which I replied, you'll be surprised to learn that I do too!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 17-Dec-15 19:56:07

Ds's 1 and 2 had this when they worked at Sports Direct, utter arses who strolled in at 7.55pm, wander round then sod off again 10 minutes later.

starfishmummy Thu 17-Dec-15 20:01:14

Our M&S was open until 8 on tuesday. I knew because I had picked up a leaflet, but I don't think it had been advertised much and no other shops were open. It felt very odd being in there with only a few shoppers. I even had the cafe more or less to myself...and four bored staff!!

EatShitDerek Fri 18-Dec-15 14:01:39

kickassangel Fri 18-Dec-15 14:59:43

i've seen plenty of stores close their doors and even bring shutters part way down about 15 minutes before closing. It really deters anyone walking in at the last minute.

immortalwife Fri 18-Dec-15 15:05:11

We tell them how long they have at regular intervals... Local shop so manners informal at 10:55 pm... You have 3mins until that door is locked pal, get moving! I have people and a bed waiting for me at home, so don't even think about a trolley mate... Get a basket and buy essentials no way are you doing a big shop right now! Etc etc

Mypubesarestraight Fri 18-Dec-15 15:06:32

I hate this!

I get customers coming on bang on closing time then ask me to cut keys!

PlummyBrummy Fri 18-Dec-15 15:07:03

Not that many KickAss. I uses to work in a shopping centre in a small shop that did this about 5 mins before closing. We were open till 10 at night - 10 fricking pm! And some arse invariably ducked under in some desperate army roll to begin mooching about - at 5 minutes to bastarding 10pm. And then leave without buying anything. I think that if you haven't made your significant purchases by 9.55pm then you're very unlikely to make them in the next 5 minutes.

Anotherusername1 Fri 18-Dec-15 15:16:48

About three years ago I worked in a library and we had late closing one evening a week until 7.

People were actually pretty good about leaving at 6.55 so we could close up, put ££ in safe etc and leave on time.

But one day I had an internal call at about 6.55. The libraries don't get calls, they go to a call centre so the call centre was phoning - a lady had a query about whether we had a certain kids book. That type of book is not filed alphabetically so we had to look through all the shelves for it which could have taken half a minute or 10 minutes. So I said we were about to close and could she call back the next day when we were open (or we'd call her) and I'd made a note of the book name so my colleagues could look for it. When I was next in, my boss said my COLLEAGUE had made a complaint about me because I wouldn't stay late to deal with it! I was really annoyed. My boss then said that in future we should stay late and then take time in lieu (which is better than you get if it happens in a shop, it's just unpaid overtime).

I was coaching with my running club that evening, I had to leave on time and I was going to leave on time. Staff in shops and libraries and the like do not get paid nearly enough to cancel personal plans or let other people down.

That is a long-winded way of saying that you are completely right OP.

Although one time I was in Monsoon at Waterloo. They're not there now but they used to close at 8pm. At 7.50 the shutters were half-way down and the security guard tried to stop me going in. I said I had 10 minutes and I knew what I wanted and wouldn't faff around. He wasn't pleased but didn't physically stop me going in. I was in and out in 2 minutes.

NCISaddict Fri 18-Dec-15 15:16:53

Years ago my DH used to work in a high end boutique in the West end, one Christmas Eve, a famous pop star came in five minutes before closing time and all the staff had to stay until she'd browsed, DH had to stay even though he was the Financial Controller because he had to lock up.

tuilamum Fri 18-Dec-15 15:21:13

I used to work in B&M before DD and this happened. All. The. Time.
Almost every night there were still people shopping, we had announcements every 5 minutes from quarter to 8 till close (8 o'clock). At about ten past we would be told to politely tell customers individually that the store was closed.
One woman, upon being told, said yes ok and then changed her mind about which curtains she wanted, browsed for another pair, had a look down the bedding aisle before leisurely making her way to the till with her FULL trolley which had to be all put on the conveyor belt and scanned through...
Then there was the regular drunk who came to the doors at about 8:02 wanting cider and some poor git (luckily not me) had to stand in his way telling him we were closed but couldn't lock the door as people were still paying
I'm glad I don't work there anymore

Sparklingbrook Fri 18-Dec-15 15:38:59

It's really annoying. I used to work in a bank and it closed at 3.30pm. So many people came in at 3.29 with really complicated foreign transactions or piles of cash to pay in.
Someone then had to go and stand by the door to let them out individually.
Once the door locked they would often bang on it and try and get us to open up because 'it won't take a minute'.

LadyNym Fri 18-Dec-15 15:47:01

When I was a supervisor in a shop we'd dim the lights and put the shutters down part-way when it was approaching closing time. Then, if people were still shopping after the store had closed I'd tell them I was going to take the last till off to cash up and they could either pay for what they had or leave everything behind. I followed through with the threat at least once.

Selfish fuckers. Shop staff don't get paid overtime once their shift ends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now