Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect a Christmas card that isn't from a 'pack of five' from close family?

(193 Posts)
SurferJet Thu 17-Dec-15 12:05:42

I know cards can be expensive, but it's only once a year & I'd like to think I'm getting a card that's had a bit more thought behind it.

AIBU?

Philoslothy Thu 17-Dec-15 12:07:37

Yabu, it is just a card.

DonkeyOaty Thu 17-Dec-15 12:07:57

Oh dear

Sonnet Thu 17-Dec-15 12:08:20

Yup YABU - Christmas is expensive and some more than others. Cards only end up in the recycling bin anyway

SirChenjin Thu 17-Dec-15 12:08:29

YABU. Cards are officially (in my head) a complete and utter waste of money and resources.

Seeline Thu 17-Dec-15 12:08:40

Perhaps the thought was in money going to charity rather than card retailer profits. Multipacks are often sold to raise money for charity.
YABU

spankhurst Thu 17-Dec-15 12:08:49

YABU. I never buy individual cards for Christmas. There are some really beautiful packs around.

wonkylegs Thu 17-Dec-15 12:09:34

I always wondered who bought those individual cards

EddieStobbart Thu 17-Dec-15 12:10:17

I don't buy anything other than big multi packs of cards with the exception of the ones that the kids design at school and are then professionally printed. We use these for relatives - would that be ok?

GnomePhone Thu 17-Dec-15 12:10:21

YABU - why on earth does it matter?

HomeMeasurements Thu 17-Dec-15 12:10:41

YAB so so so so U

Bupcake Thu 17-Dec-15 12:10:52

I never understand why some people put so much thought into the cards they receive. I think "Aw, nice" and stick it on the hearth with the others. Really, don't worry about it.

Cheby Thu 17-Dec-15 12:11:28

YABU. They go in the recycling afterwards. They're a massive waste of money and trees. The less spent on them the better.

Helmetbymidnight Thu 17-Dec-15 12:11:36

What kind of thought do you think goes into individual cards anyway?!!

TheWitTank Thu 17-Dec-15 12:11:38

YABU. I don't send any cards, let alone expensive, individual ones. They only get thrown away!

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 17-Dec-15 12:12:52

Yabu. What a daft thought.

RudeElf Thu 17-Dec-15 12:13:52

Huh? confused what does it matter how much the card cost or whats on the front? They thought of you when sending cards. Thats the whole point isnt it? Or is their a hierarchy for xmas cards now?

SurferJet Thu 17-Dec-15 12:13:57

I haven't got a particularly big family so every year I buy personalised Christmas cards, with, ( for example ) 'to my sister' 'to a special couple' - or at least one I've chosen for its individuality - I know you can get lovely packs and I do buy them, but I give those to neighbours & friends.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Thu 17-Dec-15 12:14:05

People that wnat cards like that bug me. Yes they ate expensive. And if I have to get one for my mum, my dad, my inlaws, my sister inlaws, my sister, my gran, my grandad. Where does it end?

A cards a card, loads of people have stopped sending them altogether. I'd be grateful you got one at all!

DaggerEyes Thu 17-Dec-15 12:14:07

Im sure Jesus is thrilled at your sneery attitude towards non-bespoke cards. He was all about the price tag, doncha know.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 17-Dec-15 12:14:15

I only send multipack ones. I've got about 30 cards and I probably only spent £10.

My friend claims to be skint but has spent nearly £20 on individual cards for people, including me. I'll be given it on Christmas Eve and it will be in the recycling bin on Boxing Day. What a waste of money.

londonrach Thu 17-Dec-15 12:14:25

Yabu. If i sent you a card it be from a pack of 10 (local hospice) but i loved the design so bought two packs. fgrin

ThreenageMutantWhingerTurtle Thu 17-Dec-15 12:14:52

I usually buy specific cards for my parents and son (and would do for dp if there was one), everyone else gets a bog standard card from a pack. There's too much already to do in our house around Christmas to be faffing buying special cards for everyone, and to be honest, funds are limited so even sending bog standard cards is expensive enough. So, if you were in my family, unless one of those I've stated I buy special cards for, I'd think you were BU. Sorry OP.

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Thu 17-Dec-15 12:15:09

Are you my sister op?!

We have this every year!

SalemSaberhagen Thu 17-Dec-15 12:15:22

I'm the same as you OP, but I've noticed people on here hate the named cards so I usually keep quiet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now