Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to do the school run in rollers??

(33 Posts)
DiorSausage Thu 17-Dec-15 11:26:30

I'm out tonight and am doing my hair in a 50's style that requires me to set it for as long as possible (thick heavy hair that struggles to hold a curl).

DD's school is 10 mins walk each way. I could wear a scarf over the rollers.

Will I look like a crazy lady?

Pootles2010 Thu 17-Dec-15 11:28:22

Er, yes, you will! I wouldn't let that stop you though! I feel the scarf will only underline the hilda ogden look though grin

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 17-Dec-15 11:29:13

You might get some hmm looks.

Ignore them anyway.

ProudAS Thu 17-Dec-15 11:29:42

Put a hat or scarf over it.

You may not mind looking like a crazy lady but your DD may have other ideas.

DiorSausage Thu 17-Dec-15 11:30:46

I have bright teal hair and am usually wearing leopard print and bright lippy so am well used to the hmm looks grin.

Might skip the scarf. No offence Hilda.

Yarpyarp Thu 17-Dec-15 11:31:44

Do it. It's become normal round here. Most people wouldn't bat an eyelid and the ones that do are a bit sad..

MushroomMama Thu 17-Dec-15 11:32:52

Its totally normal round here! Often see ladies doing their Saturday shopping in town with them

DiorSausage Thu 17-Dec-15 11:34:28

Phew! Mushroom and Yarp are you both by any chance in Liverpool? Have just been reading that it's the roller capital of the UK!

bigTillyMint Thu 17-Dec-15 11:37:18

If you aren't worried about what other people think then there's no problem..

When I was travelling back to London from Liverpool a couple of weeks ago, there was a young woman with a big roller in her hair. It was about 8pm on a Friday night and she clearly hadn't realised that people don't go out in London with rollers in their hairgrin

bigTillyMint Thu 17-Dec-15 11:38:05

Ha ha! Cross - post! She was immediately recognisable as a scallygrin

ouryve Thu 17-Dec-15 11:39:52

Only if you have a fag drooping from the corner of your mouth.

Drew64 Thu 17-Dec-15 11:41:12

Nope,

My DW has done it in her PJ's before

Cassimin Thu 17-Dec-15 11:41:45

Yes it's perfectly normal in liverpool. All the girls look ultra glam in the night tho.
Once saw a mum bouncing on a bouncy castle at adventure park with them in. Don't know how they stayed put!

BeanGirls Thu 17-Dec-15 12:07:56

I would've. I hope you did. Picture of final 'do'. I love the 50's grin

hufflebottom Thu 17-Dec-15 12:23:46

Go for it! Could start a new trend.

Plus just think of the embarrassment factor for your dc. Id do it just for that. smile that's what parents are there for.

christmascracker2015 Thu 17-Dec-15 12:41:23

I don't think its embarrassing. It is hardly that much of an out there thing to do.

Blacktealeaves Thu 17-Dec-15 12:54:19

I would do it

MeAndTheMajor Thu 17-Dec-15 12:55:04

I was about to say that it's totally normal in Liverpool. I was even sat behind two older teenage girls and their dad at the football one week, both the girls had their blue rollers in. I'd ditch the scarf though!

StarkyTheDirewolf Thu 17-Dec-15 13:03:31

My Gm used to do it, my cousin does it. My hair rejects rollers as a suitable piece of curling apparatus. I had to nip to the shop in rag rolls a few months ago though and I didn't cope. My head said '1900's small girl' my clothing said 'I've just got up and we've no milk in, please don't judge me' I needed a cup of tea

Gottagetmoving Thu 17-Dec-15 13:06:02

My Gran wore rollers and a headscarf all the bloody time! She only took them out at night before my Granddad came home. Mind you - lots of women did that back in her day.
Just do what you need to and ignore any strange looks.

helenahandbag Thu 17-Dec-15 13:21:25

I've seen people out with their rollers in before, people do look but I just assume they're going out that night. Needs must!

Junosmum Thu 17-Dec-15 14:13:37

I see girls wandering around the trafford centre in their rollers all the time!

ToysDontWorkNoMore Thu 17-Dec-15 14:22:29

Not something I have ever seen or think of as being normal, but do what you need to do, I guess. I would take the rollers out and or have done the hair do with a curling iron/tongs in the first place, personally.

DiorSausage Thu 17-Dec-15 14:47:18

Tongs and irons wouldn't work for the look I'm doing smile.

Setting off in a bit, I've put the scarf on purely to protect my hair from the horribe wind and rain. Totally look like Hilda Ogden but going to just brazen it out grin. DD won't be embarrassed, she is yet to reach that age!

Bean I'll definitely post a photo if it turns out how I hope! I have a fab dress to wear too, yay!

notquitehuman Thu 17-Dec-15 15:01:21

Do it! I hope you're wearing a nice velour tracksuit and big fluffy boots too. I actually wish I could pull off that look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now