Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much 'Christmas tip' for cleaner - or if at all?

(52 Posts)
BluecasioTG58 Thu 17-Dec-15 10:10:59

I pay my cleaner £11.00 per hour. I didn't get round buying a present as rushed off my feet right now. She is my first cleaner and has cleaned 3 or 4 time for us so far.

Would £ 10.00 be stingy ( I only have a tenner at home and can't go out before she comes)? We live in London if that makes any difference.
Would it be ok to pop a ten pound note in the envelope with the Christmas card? Sorry, whats the etiquette here please? blush
tia.

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Thu 17-Dec-15 10:13:19

No, YANBU to ask.

Krampus Thu 17-Dec-15 10:14:06

I was wondering the same thing and was thinking of £10 to £15. Ours does 2 hours a week.

ceebie Thu 17-Dec-15 10:15:14

How many hours does she do each week?

I would say the Christmas tip should be roughly the equivalent of a weekly clean, but seeing as she's only just started, maybe you could get away with less.

On the other hand, if she's been good so far and you are hoping to keep her, then showing your appreciation now would help over the coming year, wouldn't it?

Lulabellarama Thu 17-Dec-15 10:15:56

£10 is fine as a tip, but I'd probably have suggested £20 if you hadn't mentioned the circumstances of not being able to go out before she comes.

I don't know whether to tip my cleaner at all, as she is a Jehovah's Witness. I don't want to offend her or make it awkward. What do you reckon?

BluecasioTG58 Thu 17-Dec-15 10:19:22

She cleans every other week and i pay her £ 66 a month. My feeling is that £ 20 is right. Would £ 10.00 be rude? Would you include it in the christmas card envelope?

Lulabellarama Thu 17-Dec-15 10:20:48

Yeah, pop it in the envelope.
It's not rude, it's a bonus!

Grumpyoldblonde Thu 17-Dec-15 10:43:42

I would give her the tenner but if you have a bottle of wine or box of chocs lying around then I would add that too

Blacktealeaves Thu 17-Dec-15 10:44:51

I do a week's pay, which is £20. Plus chocolate for her kids.

Justbatteringon Thu 17-Dec-15 10:46:40

Lula just pop the extra tenner in with her pay if possible I wouldn't bother with a card.

lurkerspeaks Thu 17-Dec-15 10:48:00

I usually do a couple of weeks pay.

But I'm a soft touch and my old cleaner was ace. New one is crap and tbh I've not decided what to give her. I think I'll give her a small tip and hold off giving her notice as I"m moving and she isn't coming too which will cost me more money in January.

Allofaflumble Thu 17-Dec-15 11:18:21

As a new cleaner I think £10 is fine. If she's still with you, then up it next year.

Higge Thu 17-Dec-15 11:21:05

I think a week's pay is about right. Write her a cheque!

SilverOldie2 Thu 17-Dec-15 11:31:10

I give my cleaner 50 pounds for christmas. She is worth every penny.

BluecasioTG58 Thu 17-Dec-15 12:01:25

"Plus chocolate for her kids." thats a nice thought!

AngelBlue12 Thu 17-Dec-15 12:04:13

Lulabellarama - Tip her, there's no way she'll be offended smile

Babynamelist Thu 17-Dec-15 12:07:00

Or a bottle of wine in addition to the cash in her card.

Pigeonpost Thu 17-Dec-15 12:09:03

Our cleaners are also new (cleaned maybe 2-3 times now) so I have just got them a bottle of wine each as I'm not 100% convinced they are good enough to stick with! Good cleaners are worth treating though.

hefzi Thu 17-Dec-15 12:20:49

The usual convention is a week's pay: but £10 is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! That said, following on from a conversation on the Christmas boards yesterday, it's what I am giving each of my postmen this year - even though I've only got £27 until Christmas Eve - so I suppose it depends how important it is to you to do the right thing, and how important your own convenience is. (Hmmm- that came out a lot harsher than I intended, but I can't think how to rephrase it! Basically, I meant that the bottom line is how much it bothers you)

OfficeGirl1969 Thu 17-Dec-15 12:45:09

I'm sure she'd be chuffed to bits with whatever you offer her! I cleaned for yearsv when the kids were tiny and never expected anything extra at Christmas, so the odd fiver in a card/bottle of wine or box of chocolates was always gratefully received. If you have only £10 to spare at present then pop it in a card, I imagine she'll be really pleased smile

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 17-Dec-15 12:51:23

I just gave mine a week's extra money and 2 bottles of wine.

TiredButFineODFOJ Thu 17-Dec-15 12:54:39

Oh god my cleaner has just appeared with a huge box of chocolates for ME for xmas. I wasn't going to do any xmas thing as I tipped for 2x Eid £10 box of chocs each time. Now I feel awful, she's really good.

Me624 Thu 17-Dec-15 13:48:12

I did £20 last Christmas, for a cleaner who came every other week and was paid £37 a time. I probably would have given her a bit more this year only she quit a few weeks ago envy oh well saves me some cash, no time to find a new one until the new year!

Nicegreenhandbag Thu 17-Dec-15 13:53:13

Oh no, I asked DH this and he said give nothing.
Our cleaner does 8 hours per week at £50 pw. I don't think she's great, slopes off early, so can't possibly give her a weeks pay in addition. I think a bottle of wine will do nicely. confused

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 17-Dec-15 18:33:12

8 hours for £50 is very very cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now