Talk

Advanced search

Gift Shops . AIBU?

(17 Posts)
TreeSack Wed 16-Dec-15 20:32:08

Twin dds are 5.

At the weekend I took them for a lovely day out at the zoo . It was quite a drive away and cost money in fuel and accommodation , as well as the tickets .

We had a lovely day and although money is tight , I gave them ten pounds each to spend .

Well when we got to the gift shop , I was astonished at the prices ! shock

They wanted a rubber ball each - which I swear I have seen in home bargains for £1.99 - it was £7.50! shock - so £15 for two balls!

It was all expensive tat and I know after the journey home it would not be looked at again.

There were various mini (and I mean tiny key ring size ) soft toys for £10! It was total extortion and out of principle I said no blush

I explained to them that the shop was very expensive and I told them I would take them to a toy shop the following day where they could pick something better .

They seemed a little sad but accepted it and did pick a decent toy the next day, that they both liked . And that I felt happier spending money on.

But I can't help feeling like I was mean . WIBU?

MontyYouTerribleCunt Wed 16-Dec-15 20:35:20

Nope! I don't think ywbu at all. Expensive tat is precisely what a lot of these gift shops stock. As long as you make good on your offer of trip to toy shop tomorrow I don't think you've been mean at all.

TreeSack Wed 16-Dec-15 20:38:50

I think I felt mean as I naively told them they could get something on our trip - I really didn't realise the costs !

Then they kept asking for random bits and the prices were ridiculous - knowing I'd have to buy two of it was worse .

Technically , they did get something on our trip as we went to the toy shop on the way home .

hesterton Wed 16-Dec-15 20:42:04

I hate the ways places force you through the gift shop to exit. But I guess most zoos use any profits to improve the facilities and conservation programmes so I suppose you have to see it as a reluctantly given donation with every gift.

YouMakeMyDreams Wed 16-Dec-15 20:50:06

Yanbu the prices are extortionate. We do buy things in these places but the rule is something like a pencil, rubber or sharpener type thing as a memento unless it's their own money. We tend to be at these sort of places during a holiday so they know now that the money needs to be spread out.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Wed 16-Dec-15 21:28:14

I take Brownies on trips regularly and while it is over priced tat, there's usually something they can get for under a fiver. Most places I've been have a pocket money type table with cheap tat.

However, I'm well away from London, could well believe £10 doesnt stretch far there!

Bastardshittits Wed 16-Dec-15 21:35:45

We have a rule that we only ever buy fridge magnets from the gift shop. It's got to be relevant to the trip and it has to have the places name on it. My kids now treat this as some kind of challenge and get quite excited about it. I get excited as it means I never part with more than £3 thanksgrin

megletthesecond Wed 16-Dec-15 21:39:21

Gift shops are always overpriced.

I'm a cruel mum and only allow them to buy educational books.

chanie44 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:46:40

I often cheat by making up gift bags with sweets and small toys. I tell my children I have a surprise for them in the car and try soon forget about the gift shop.

Nataleejah Wed 16-Dec-15 21:52:36

I hate gift shops too. My DC are also only allowed books or sweets, because i know that any other shite will be tossed after 5 minutes of novelty.

Mmmmcake123 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:58:15

I think yanbu at all. Although they are only 5 years old you have given them an early lesson in financial management. They got a treat on the way home. Well done you for teaching them to think before buying.

ohtheholidays Wed 16-Dec-15 21:59:40

No OP,I agree with you.We started noticing the same about 5-6 years ago.

One childrens farm/play area that we used to go to had items in they're gift shop that were well over £100,in all the times we went there I never once saw anyone buy any of the highest priced items in the shop and more often than not you'd see streams of people walking out of the gift shop without even stopping to look at anything.

I think it's silly really as they're missing out on a good extra income by just charging to much.

celtictoast Wed 16-Dec-15 22:05:57

YABU. They need to make money to keep the zoo going and for the conservation etc.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Wed 16-Dec-15 22:14:14

We have the same rule as Bastardshittits, the spawns get truly indignant when the gift shop is devoid of fridge magnets, and the middlespawn has been known to stroppily accuse bemused members of staff of bad planning.

dodobookends Wed 16-Dec-15 23:26:26

Be warned - if you are going on the Harry Potter Studio Tour, take out a small mortgage before going in the gift shop there.

Buttons23 Wed 16-Dec-15 23:36:39

I avoid gift shops for that very reason. I remember my son in the London Transport Museum and he wanted a wooden bus/cab/train etc. They were charging £5.99 each! Anyway left them on the principle and found very similar ones in Wilkinson's for £1 each. Much better, gift shops overcharge way too much.

Even when I took my ds to Haven for a holiday earlier in the year, I got the character teddies for him off eBay for a fraction of the price they were charging. I knew he would want them, and that's fine but I just can't pay the prices they charge when I know I can get it cheaper.

emwithme Wed 16-Dec-15 23:56:15

I was generally only allowed to get a pencil/rubber/ruler or other piece of stationery from gift shops. Occasionally I could argue that a bookmark was stationery.

These days, I buy fridge magnets and ... pencils/rubbers/rulers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now