Talk

Advanced search

Virgin Holidays have taken >£3k from account. Am at wits end

(316 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

chocoLit Wed 16-Dec-15 15:26:44

So would I be unreasonable for accusing Virgin Holidays for ruining Christmas?!?

We booked online last night. £3200. Paid full price. Flights & car hire for whole family. Dates Oct 2016. Holiday of a lifetime and not undertaken lightly.

An error message came up on screen asking us to call which I did this morning as soon as I could.

They're now claiming those flights don't exist anymore unless we pay them £1500 more.

OR for only £1k more they'll send us a different way with two stops instead of one.

As for the money, they won't return that sooner that 7-10 working days.

I feel like am being blackmailed here and almost at wits end.

Girl dealing was very pleasant but new to company so wasn't able to help much or any further.

Someone called 'Dave' is to be phoning me back but she's not sure when or what he's going to be able to do!!?

So, AIBU to turn up at Branston's door with the 3DC and have him explain why they're not getting their holiday!!!

Has anyone had this before? Any advice gratefully received.

<sigh>

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 16-Dec-15 15:32:07

Escalate as far as you can. Call centres are full of higher ups trying desperately not to take a call.

araiba Wed 16-Dec-15 15:36:24

why does a holiday in october ruin christmas?

massivearse Wed 16-Dec-15 15:37:26

Bounce it all over twitter as well. and tell em that's what you're doing.

Out of order that.

takemetomars Wed 16-Dec-15 15:38:11

this happened to us with virgin although we did not get as far as paying. When we rang it appeared that the flights were no longer available at that price, they wanted a grand more for three of us. We told them to piss off and took our custom elsewhere. Cheeky sods, we wondered at the time how common this was. I agree, escalate and insist you are paid the money back sooner if you want a refund. Why on earth do they want all of the money now anyway, it is 10 months away!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 16-Dec-15 15:38:46

ariaba because they've had £3000 taken from their account ?

chocoLit Wed 16-Dec-15 15:39:41

Arabia It's >£3k worth of worrying. And kids are involved here.

Causes me concern and upset which they're saying may not be fixed for 10working days.

araiba Wed 16-Dec-15 15:39:57

£3000 that they happily spent so don't need for christmas, and it will be returned anyway

TwoSmellyDogs Wed 16-Dec-15 15:41:45

Oh shut up araiba. What's the bloody point of your goady comments to an OP who's already worried witless?

chocoLit Wed 16-Dec-15 15:41:50

There's always one hmm

Arabia it's MY £3k sitting in their account doing nothing but earning THEM interest and causing me concern.

I can't book anything else and I won't be blackmailed into paying a £1.7k difference.

DamedifYouDo Wed 16-Dec-15 15:42:27

I'm a bit confused - you booked and paid for a holiday, there was an error with the flight availability and you have been given the option to cancel or different flights at extra cost? I can see why you would be upset that what you booked is not available and that waiting for the refund is a problem but Virgin haven "taken" money from your account, why is Christmas ruined?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 16-Dec-15 15:42:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BumpAndGrind Wed 16-Dec-15 15:42:54

frustrating, but like araiba said, they haven't ruined christmas.

araiba Wed 16-Dec-15 15:43:22

so when Dave calls you, ask for the 3k to be refunded asap

BumpAndGrind Wed 16-Dec-15 15:44:04

I'm sure they have caused a shit load of stress, but it isn't christmas money they have taken.

GastonsPomPomWrath Wed 16-Dec-15 15:45:39

They've already told her it will take 7-10 days for a refund. Read the bloody thread ffs!

Stillunexpected Wed 16-Dec-15 15:45:40

What outcome do you want - a refund or a holiday? Because it's not clear from your post. If you want a refund, ask for it and they have told you that it will take 7-10 working days. You don't need the money for Christmas obviously so you will have it back in plenty of time to book another holiday. Not are why it was necessary to pay the full cost this far in advance.

If you want this particular holiday, then you have to accept that the price has gone up while you have been investigating it and you either pay the increased amount or take your business elsewhere to somewhere which can accommodate your requirements.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 16-Dec-15 15:48:17

They have taken money for a service that they are not supplying. If anyone else did that it would be theft. Why do they get to take her money then do a bait and switch? She can't book elsewhere now and is understandably a little cynical about them.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 16-Dec-15 15:48:35

Sorry but I'm assuming you weren't expecting the full amount to be taken out or am I reading it wrong?

AndNowItsSeven Wed 16-Dec-15 15:48:59

But it doesn't have anything to do with Christmas. Stop stressing wait for your refund and book in the new year.

araiba Wed 16-Dec-15 15:49:17

I have read the thread, it's not very long..

The OP hasn't made clear what she wants to do. She has been told how long a refund will take but has she actually requested it yet?

specialsubject Wed 16-Dec-15 15:52:27

escalate, tweet, keep records. Contact ABTA too and raise a complaint.

they won't be earning any interest worth anything, no-one does.

and the obvious check; as and when you do get your trip booked, the very next call is to the travel insurers to arrange that. Not relevant here but often forgotten when people book their own packages.

toffeeboffin Wed 16-Dec-15 15:53:43

Twitter and Facebook. Share, share, share!

Araiba, just go away.

TheBunnyOfDoom Wed 16-Dec-15 15:54:31

But it's 3k you agreed to give them? They haven't taken anything they weren't owed in the first place confused

Clearly you didn't need the money for Christmas else you wouldn't have booked a holiday the week previous, so just sit tight and get your refund, or pay the extra and change your flights. I get it's frustrating but it's hardly ruined Christmas.

Badders123 Wed 16-Dec-15 15:54:42

Get all over Twitter and Facebook.
Disgraceful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now