Talk

Advanced search

to hold the neighbours parcel at random (lighthearted)

(37 Posts)
3sugarsplease Wed 16-Dec-15 10:33:53

The postman delivered me some Christmas present parcels this morning and he accidentally gave me my neighbours also..

These neighbours have kept us up for the past week with their love of banging and DIY past 11 o'clock. Me and DP can't sleep and it keeps waking DS up from his naps. DP has gone round to ask to keep noise down however they refuse to answer the door to him.. Not to mention them using our only car parking space, even though they have two of their own which I have also asked them to stop using...

Now AIBU unreasonable to hold the parcel at random until we can come to some kind of nice neighbour treaty or sell it and invest in some very decent earplugs?

Lighthearted thread..

3sugarsplease Wed 16-Dec-15 10:34:47

Random? I mean ransom - damn autocorrect. MNHQ please amend

InTheBox Wed 16-Dec-15 10:40:08

grin At the idea of you tying their parcel to a chair and looking at it menacingly!

They sound like nightmare neighbours though - I really think you should keep attempting to go over and speak to them, post a note through the door! DIY at 11pm is absolutely unreasonable.

In fact post a note through their door saying you have their parcel and when they come to collect it also mention the parking and the noise.

suitsyousir79 Wed 16-Dec-15 10:43:36

Hmmmm well if it were me, and i had tried speaking to them about it before and they did not want to know, i'd most likely just bin the parcel, or open it and keep it! Assuming it was delivered in error and the postie hadnt put a slip through their door! But then, i am a bugger like that! grin

SaucyJack Wed 16-Dec-15 10:53:58

If it's actually your designated parking space, then I suggest you very carefully place the parcel along the border of said space so they squash it themselves next time they're rude enough to use your space.

DyslexicScientist Wed 16-Dec-15 10:54:45

I refuse to sign for parcels for my neighbour as he's an antisocial inconsiderate cunt.

Just keep the parcel bin it if the item is no good for you or donate to charity shop.

SoupDragon Wed 16-Dec-15 11:04:30

Just keep the parcel bin it if the item is no good for you or donate to charity shop.

Or you could, you know, just not behave like a cunt yourself. Just a thought.

OP you have to make the a ransom note made put of letters cut from a copy ofthe daily mail and post it through the heir door. Otherwise they won't know.

Mylittlelights Wed 16-Dec-15 11:06:35

I think you should take a pic of the parcel, tied up in a chair, with a note saying, stop doing DIY at stupid o'clock and parking in our space or the parcel gets it!

grundrisse Wed 16-Dec-15 11:10:40

Mylittlelights - BRILLIANT! I laughed so hard I spat out my tea.

(A lighthearted approach could really work here!)

RideEmCowgirl Wed 16-Dec-15 11:12:28

Well... if they won't answer the door to you then how can yoy give them tge parcel. ...

MojitoMollie Wed 16-Dec-15 11:12:49

or send it back to the sender

tbtc20 Wed 16-Dec-15 11:15:13

I'd be very careful. Keeping someone else post on purpose is probably illegal (you'll have to check). You have to go through the proper channels for their DIY etc to be classed as illegal. Not sure about the parking spot - that must depend on land ownership etc.

They sound like just the people to dob you in for keeping their parcel and then continuing to make your life hell.

Don't stoop to their level.

But in the spirit of the light-hearted thread, I think you need to see what's in the parcel, come back and tell us and then we can think up appropriate ransom acts.

Seeyounearertime Wed 16-Dec-15 11:15:40

I'd return it to sender and then contact environmental health about the noise and whomever is in charge of parking allocations.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 16-Dec-15 11:15:53

I'd put a note through the door saying "I've taken delivery of a parcel for you. You haven't answered the door to us and we'd be grateful if you would stop doing DIY by 7 o'clock. Please collect the parcel, we're not going to knock any more. Merry Christmas, your lovely neighbours".

RamblingRedRose Wed 16-Dec-15 11:18:14

In fact post a note through their door saying you have their parcel and when they come to collect it also mention the parking and the noise.

I think this is the most reasonable and normal thing to do.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Wed 16-Dec-15 11:20:29

I'd do the note thing too.

Then throw their parcel up and down stairs until they come to get it.

GoneAndDone Wed 16-Dec-15 11:24:58

I think you should take it round but really early in the morning so that it wakes them up. About 5am should do...

3sugarsplease Wed 16-Dec-15 11:27:17

So far mylittlelights suggestion is my favourite grin

Just checked the senders address on the parcel it's an online boutique. It feels like a shoe box.. Most expensive item on the website is about £16...

Pipbin Wed 16-Dec-15 11:28:18

So this was an accident, rather than the postman actually asking you to take in a parcel for them. Therefore they don't actually know that you have it?

I agree, drop a note through the door saying that you have it and then fail to answer the door when they come round, then eventually mention something.

3sugarsplease Wed 16-Dec-15 11:29:29

Also we have seen the land registry deeds etc and it is our space. She tried to argue with me when I told her before.. She said she would speak to her solicitor as she was mis-sold because she believed the entire forecourt belonged to her... accompanied by a nice little dig about how she actually owns her property because we rent...

OnlyLovers Wed 16-Dec-15 11:33:08

I think Laurie has a good solution.

But personally I'd be tempted to just keep it and not drop them a note. But I'm not very nice.

MuttonWasAGoose Wed 16-Dec-15 11:36:43

Knock on their door when they're doing DIY at night.

Next morning, slip a note through saying that you've tried to give them the parcel but they wouldn't answer so you've sent it back.

Wait a couple of days to do this - the closer to Christmas day the better.

Viviennemary Wed 16-Dec-15 11:47:08

Take the parcel back to a post office and say this is not your parcel. I don't think I'd just hand it over to them when they've been so awful. Or redirect it to Australia

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 16-Dec-15 12:12:05

ooh - MuttonWasAGoose, that's brilliant grin

skankingpiglet Wed 16-Dec-15 12:14:19

Soupdragon's idea appeals to me, but in reality I don't know if I could bring myself to do it. I think I'd write a note to say I had it, then ignore the first 3 attempts to retrieve it. When I did answer, I'd be complaining about the noise and parking before handing over the parcel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now