Talk

Advanced search

Or does cutting down on breastfeeding make you feel low?

(16 Posts)
chumbler Wed 16-Dec-15 09:31:28

For about a month now I've been quite down. I still enjoy things but im finding I get very emotional and feel down, probably disproportionately so. Eg. Dh and I had an argument on Saturday, made up a couple hours later but I completely broke down and didn't feel anywhere near better until Monday. I felt drained, on edge, like I could burst into tears and found it hard to sleep (very unusual for me). I have very little interest in sex (but did have a v traumatic birth) I have an almost 9mo who I ebf until 6mo when we introduced solids using baby led weaning. Because we do blw she doesn't eat all that much and so only seems to be feeding just a tiny bit less. She does feed much less often though - from constantly to just 5 times a day ish (I feed on demand)

could less breastfeeding be making me low? Sorry for the ramble, just wonder if anyone else has been through this sad

SunsetDream Wed 16-Dec-15 09:36:28

Yes, sometimes very much so.

Your body is used to the 'hit' of oxytocin which it gets when breastfeeding. Stopping feeding reduces the amount produced.

gamerchick Wed 16-Dec-15 09:38:30

Well it can do when you stop but I can't remember the blues when feeds were cut down. It's been a while since I was nursing though.

Have you had a chat with your HV or go to explore the possibility of PND? You do sound quite low flowers

chumbler Wed 16-Dec-15 09:39:35

A relief to know it's normal. I never knew it would hit me like this. Is there anything I can do? Of is it just a case of my hormones settling down? Has been a month already so hoping it won't keep carrying on!!

VeryPunny Wed 16-Dec-15 09:40:51

Are your periods back yet? That combined with stopping BFing sent me haywire.

chumbler Wed 16-Dec-15 09:41:27

Oh my last post was @sunset

@gamer that's my worry sad im thinking that I'll go to hv in jan if I still feel like this. I wasn't sure if it could be pnd if my feeling for baby haven't changed at all? I just feel so down sad

chumbler Wed 16-Dec-15 09:42:51

@very no periods yet, but have had a sore tummy at night, feeling off food for about 2 months so think they're on the way. Could well be playing a part

chumbler Sat 19-Dec-15 07:32:59

Sorry to revive this thread but has anyone else felt like this? I'm so down sad

Roonerspism Sat 19-Dec-15 07:52:11

I haven't specifically found that but as with everything breastfeeding it could well be that.

Or could you have a touch of PND? I would keep an eye on it.

I also find breastfeeding leaves me feeling incredibly drained physically which takes its toll emotionally. May be worth getting your iron levels checked? I'm currently taking an iron supplement, vit D and calcium/magnesium just to manage

Silvercatowner Sat 19-Dec-15 07:54:41

I had a bout of depression around the time I stopped breastfeeding. My son was a year old. I haven't had depression since (it was a long time ago). PND was mentioned even though it was a year after the birth. I'd run this past your doctor.

ThisisMrsNicolaHicklin Sat 19-Dec-15 07:59:17

I've just had such a light bulb moment! I didn't know that this could
happen. I stopped feeding last week. I've had a bit of a difficult month but it felt like my response was quite
disproportionate.
Bloody hormones!

PrinceHansOfTheTescoAisles Sat 19-Dec-15 08:48:59

YANBU....It could def be a hormone dip. Plus a general feeling of melancholy cause your baby doesn't "need" you as much?

Pidapie Sat 19-Dec-15 08:54:27

I have heard many times of people feeling down when stopping breastfeeding, or cutting down. But it will pass smile

chumbler Sat 19-Dec-15 09:22:41

Thanks all, will see if Christmas distracts santa

nannyplumislostinspace Sat 19-Dec-15 09:39:39

Yes. I've felt terrible since I stopped breastfeeding (in Aprilfblush)

chumbler Sat 19-Dec-15 09:42:21

That's a long time to feel terrible for sad are you getting any help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now