Talk

Advanced search

To think "the government giving £3'000 to peoples first home" isn't s good use of public money

(83 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Tue 15-Dec-15 16:21:55

With so many essential services cut, doesn't seem right to me to give people money to buy a first house.

Apart from anything the average house price in england has just hit 300k and this is about 12 times the average wage, so prices are in a bubble and unsustainable. This just seems to be adding fuel onto the fire, help to buy as seemed to have the affect of also stoking house prices, making people worse off as they have a loan to repay in 5 years.

Samcro Tue 15-Dec-15 16:24:55

yanbu seeing as there is a terrible situation with adult social care, it is beyond daft(unless its a loan)

SunsetBeetch Tue 15-Dec-15 17:23:36

YANBU and I totally agree with your analysis of the situation. I wish the government would stop interfering with the housing market.

BlueJug Tue 15-Dec-15 17:30:20

YANBU - agree with you.

I also think it will be used by youngsters whose parents are astute enough to set their kids up to take advantage of this.

Genuinely poor people are excluded from this. However it was a people pleasing idea and designed to be a sweetener to all those complaining about the housing market.

It is a small sum though and probably doesn't cost much. It will be recovered in stamp duty.

citybushisland Tue 15-Dec-15 17:32:26

£3k is sod all in relation to a deposit on a first property, but it's a lot out of the public purse. If the government has all this spare cash I'd rather it went into building social housing/social care/NHS/education/general welfare budget any or all of them in no particular order as they are all priorities way above helping people to buy property.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Tue 15-Dec-15 17:36:34

It also isn't much help to those of us who live in areas with massive house prices, because even the smallest flat is over the maximum price that you can use the deposit money for (max is £250,000 I think). You need a massive deposit for that kind of thing anyway, not sure how anyone does it without a partner and probably help from parents or something too.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 15-Dec-15 18:39:20

YANBU - it's a stupid idea.

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Tue 15-Dec-15 18:51:28

I too think this is a silly idea.

jellyfrizz Tue 15-Dec-15 18:52:58

YANBU - so many areas where this money could be better used.

ThreeRuddyTubs Tue 15-Dec-15 18:56:29

You have to save for 4 years to get the full whack as well

Owllady Tue 15-Dec-15 18:56:36

I agree with you toogrin

Osolea Tue 15-Dec-15 19:06:29

While I agree that there are many places where this money could be better used, I don't think it's a bad scheme. It's better to help people set up home on their own, where they will pay their mortage themselves, where they will be responsible for all the costs of maintaining the home themselves, than it is to give them housing benefit for years years.

TheXxed Tue 15-Dec-15 19:11:55

YANBU, this govt is desperately trying to keep the price bubble from popping ; expanding right to buy, pension unlocking, help to buy etc it's so fucking transparent.

citybushisland Tue 15-Dec-15 19:15:42

Osolea - people on HB aren't generally in a position to save enough of a deposit to qualify for this scheme. The top whack of a qualifying property is £250k, 10% deposit £25k, so they'd have to save £22k over 4 years to qualify anyway - not likely if you don't make enough to pay rent anyway...

BlueJug Tue 15-Dec-15 19:23:28

Osolea - agree in theory - but the HB people are unlikely to be the beneficiaries of this scheme.

knobblyknee Tue 15-Dec-15 19:58:54

YANBU. I need a carer for 13 hours a week and dont get any DLA/PIP. I dont qualify.

Tamponlady Tue 15-Dec-15 20:05:04

Would you they get council housing

Perversely when we lived in London we had a council home couldn't afford to rent but would of been able to afford a mortgage as the monthly payments were lower than private rent

We are now in our own home thanks to help to buy we have freed up a council home that would have been lived in then passed down to my children never coming back into use.

Our council rent was 500
Our mortgage is 700

Our private rent would have been 1565

Anything thang can be done for people to own there own homes is a good thing usually it's people who don't rent haven't suffer the insibilty and haven't had the stigma or humiliation of living in a council home say renting is fab

Tamponlady Tue 15-Dec-15 20:08:02

It's a a madness we lived in a street we're professionals firemen were living in council homes my oh is a nurse and years ago a professional would of been able to comftabley afford there own home

We have had to leave all our support network eveyone we no and love because we can't afford to live in the place of my birth

citybushisland Tue 15-Dec-15 20:32:09

Would you they get council housing
I would much rather there was more council housing, I would also prefer that rental controls were brought in to dictate how much landlords could charge for properties in the private rental market and to give private tenants security. Yes, the ideal is that everyone owns their own affordable property, sadly we don't live in an ideal world.

As an aside, I don't understand how we all pay more and more council tax and yet services and housing are being cut, well down south anyway - we lived in the south until earlier this year, libraries closing plus much more and yet up here in the north I have easy access (on frequent bus routes) to 15 or more well stocked libraries, yet most northerners go on about how the south has so much more blah blah blah but that's a whole other thread grin

redstrawberry10 Tue 15-Dec-15 20:33:30

I think the government policy is to do anything but helping to solve the problem. we need more homes.

Tamponlady Tue 15-Dec-15 20:42:02

City

I don't living in a council home was fucking grim

Are house was all but falling down the council wouldn't do anything about yet we weren't allowed to make basic improvements our selfs

It was freezing and mouldy and when they did finally get the money together to do repairs we couldn't get a contractor because the council take so long to make payments

If the house burned down God forbid that would of been us in temporary accomdation

I love having my own home i feel so proud and my husband walks a little taller tbh our home is decorated how we like I can have a nice kitchen not a shitty council one may not mean much to yu but for 200 more a month we own this house own it

redstrawberry10 Tue 15-Dec-15 20:47:12

Anything thang can be done for people to own there own homes is a good thing usually it's people who don't rent haven't suffer the insibilty and haven't had the stigma or humiliation of living in a council home say renting is fab

the problem is prices are too high because demand is too high. that just makes that problem worse. it doesn't solve the shortage problem.

Higge Tue 15-Dec-15 20:50:11

Give all first time buyers £3k and you just increase the price of the first rung on the property ladder by £3k - Australia did this 14 years ago, and it was a joke policy, that did not help first time buyers back then too - the money will help those exiting the market though. hmm
We need more housing stock. It's the lack of housing that is pushing the prices up.

SchnooSchnoo Tue 15-Dec-15 20:53:46

It sounds pointless. If you can save up tens of thousands for a deposit, then three grand's not going to makeup have difference. And if you can't, then ditto. Will probably increase house prices too. Waste of money.

Tamponlady Tue 15-Dec-15 20:57:33

If yu so low demand only thing will happen demand for council housing will increase the Troy's and LABOUR failed on building more homes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now