Talk

Advanced search

To want to know your tips for staying well?

(6 Posts)
VicWillia Tue 15-Dec-15 14:58:46

In the last 2 weeks, I have had a heavy cold, d&v, then woke up yesterday with a fever and chills. I am miserable! This feels like it will go on forever. I've missed work, plus I have 1 ds and 3 dscs I really can't carry on being ill!

How do you get back on track after prolonged illness?

queenrollo Tue 15-Dec-15 15:10:52

My immune system took a hammering the last 3 years due to stress/sleep deprivation. I was sick of spending all autumn and winter getting every bloody lurgy going.
I now take a really good multi-vit and the thing I think has made the biggest difference is using a sub-lingual VitD spray from Sept onwards. This autumn/winter I've had one mild lurgy and that's it, despite kids/husband bringing all manner of germs home from nursery and the train/tube.

I can't offer a magic solution right now, but i'd start taking a good VitD now if I were you.

LotsOfShoes Tue 15-Dec-15 19:31:24

Lots of rest and eat healthy to get back on your feet.

Also, now I wash my hands really well as soon as I arrive in the office and home. I don't take off my coat, bag etc until I do that. I haven't had a bad cold in a year (normally I'd have had a cold at least 3 times between summer and christmas). Also avoid sick people at work. Nothing pisses me off more than people who come to work when they're really sick (and no, we're not the type of work where you lose pay if you don't work).
Get well soon!

madmomma Wed 16-Dec-15 00:23:53

Stringent handwashing for everyone in the family (teach the kids proper handwashing technique and be a harridan about enforcing it), as much sleep as humanely possible, regular meals with veg and fruit, agree with vit d, clean the toilet every other day at least, change dishcloths and teatowels and handtowels daily. Eldest Dd is a nursery nurse so brings home bugs galore, plus there are two toddlers. The above seems to do us really well. We're definitely not ill as often as other families, and I don't mean that in a smug way at all. I really think being super strict about the handwashing is key. Especially with little kids. The amount of kids that don't do it...shudder

Littlefluffyclouds81 Wed 16-Dec-15 01:40:32

Sambucol (available at health food shops). It's an elderberry extract and wards off all lurgies. My ex who's a teacher took it as he couldn't afford to get ill, and he would fly through the winters bypassing all the bugs going round.

TheHouseOnTheLane Wed 16-Dec-15 02:17:14

Wash your hands often OP. Especially if you use public transport. Avoid touching your face in general too.

Drink plenty of water and don't bother with multivits unless precribed...eat a lot of fresh fruit and leafy greens daily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now