Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

...to wonder why Muslim as well as all the leaders of other denominations...

(42 Posts)
Drew64 Tue 15-Dec-15 10:40:09

...seem to be conspicuous by their absence.

We've all seen David Cameron, Francois Hollande, Barak Obama on the TV in recent weeks, on numerous occasions denouncing terrorism, specifically Daesh.
I seem to remember seeing Justin Welby and the leaders of all of the opposition parties, doing the same on TV.

So why have I not seen the same from other leaders, especially the Muslim leaders?

Surely now is the time, especially with Donald Trump spreading such hatred.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 15-Dec-15 10:43:43

Because our terrestrial news channels don't deem coverage of this to be viewing worthy? They have denounced it, all you need to Google is 'muslim leaders denouncing terrorism'.

Drew64 Tue 15-Dec-15 11:02:26

That's my point though, I have to Google it. I don't have to Google Donald Trumps hate filled speeches.

The press seem really eager to give twats like him and Katie Hopkins airtime but when the religious leaders stand up and speak out you have to Google it?

CastaDiva Tue 15-Dec-15 11:04:12

So are you suggesting Muslim and other religious leaders have in fact kept entirely schtum about Islamic terrorism, or simply that the media isn't covering it? Two entirely different gripes.

Pangurban1 Tue 15-Dec-15 11:07:25

Thing is, I don't think David Cameron, Francois Hollande, Barak Obama were representing a religion or religious denomination when issuing denouncements.

Maybe religious representatives did denounce it, but we don't pay attention to them. Or they are not highlighted in media reports.

Drew64 Tue 15-Dec-15 11:12:02

"So are you suggesting Muslim and other religious leaders have in fact kept entirely schtum about Islamic terrorism, or simply that the media isn't covering it?"

Both...why have we not seen as much of them in the press?
Are they keeping schtum for a reason?
Why are the media not reporting it?

There are lots of people spreading racial hatred at the moment, exactly what Daesh want, the west against the Muslims, the Romans against the Islamists.

As these are religious differences surely the leaders of ALL denominations should stand up, publicly and loudly for peace!

If they are already they are not very loud because I have not heard them and I don't want to have to Google it when Donald Trump and Katie Hopkins are rammed down my throat by the press every day.

WorraLiberty Tue 15-Dec-15 11:12:25

You're right OP.

Many religious leaders have stood up and spoken against terrorism, but the media don't seem as keen to report it.

VestalVirgin Tue 15-Dec-15 11:13:17

That's my point though, I have to Google it. I don't have to Google Donald Trumps hate filled speeches.

You didn't know that media, even if they are not lying to us, unfluence what we think by selecting what we are shown?

Well ... now you know.

That's why mainly use the internet as a news source.

WorraLiberty Tue 15-Dec-15 11:15:51

The Muslim Council of Great Britain released this after the Paris attacks. It was given nowhere near as much publicity as Donald Trump.

The attacks once again in Paris are horrific and abhorrent, and we condemn this violence in the strongest possible terms. My thoughts and prayers for the families of those killed and injured and for the people of France, our neighbours.

This attack is being claimed by the group calling themselves ‘Islamic State’. There is nothing Islamic about such people and their actions are evil, and outside the boundaries set by our faith.

This week we have once again witnessed outrageous attacks be that in Beirut earlier in the week or Paris today – there is no justification for such carnage whatsoever. We hope the remaining people responsible are brought to justice and face the full force of the law.

Drew64 Tue 15-Dec-15 11:19:13

WorraLiberty

That's exactly my point! Thank you!

So...are we at risk of falling into a Daesh trap to pit Romans against Islamists?
It's quite scary the reaction we are having seems to play into their hands.

hefzi Tue 15-Dec-15 11:21:37

The Ahmediyya community leaders have made a very strong series of statements (they are a community intensely persecuted in Pakistan in particular, for not being the "right sort" of Muslims...) - but there is no central authority in Islam comparable to the Pope or the Archbishop of Canterbury, so anyone releasing statements doesn't have the same "clout" in a way.

The MCB have been more or less designated as representatives of Islam by the British establishment - but represent a very particular type of Islam, and one that many Muslims feel is not relevant to them. That said, as Worra said, they have also issued a strong statement.

Because few in the media (and elsewhere) understand the nuances of the wider Muslim world, it's not really surprising that they can't differentiate between the various statements etc made, and push those that are more significant.

I think another issue is that there isn't really a muslim equivilent of the Archbishop of Canterbury or Chief Rabbi to act as a representative of muslims in the country.

I do think media reporting is part of the problem.

hefzi
Cross post

Pangurban1 Tue 15-Dec-15 11:23:50

I don't understand the Romans against the Islamists.

hefzi Tue 15-Dec-15 11:37:26

Chaz great minds, etc grin

littleducks Tue 15-Dec-15 12:38:27

Many muslim groups clubbed together and released a full page ad (so paid to be in the media rather than invited to comment for free) convening the attacks

CastaDiva Tue 15-Dec-15 12:57:37

Agreeing with Hefzi and Chaz. Even beside the obvious Sunni/Shia division, Islam is a pretty riven and various religion. Expecting some kind of easily paraphrased central statement is a bit like expecting the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Coptic Christian Head (Pope?), Eastern Orthodox Heads, the various heads of the Quakers, Methodists and every other movement, denomination etc in each country where they are represented to come together and come up with a blanket message, just because they're all broadly 'Christian'.

batshitlady Tue 15-Dec-15 13:38:42

When Muslims do denounce terrorism in the name of Islam, they often mention uncomfortable truths such as the plight of the Palestinians and let's face it, we don't really want people hearing that..

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Tue 15-Dec-15 13:48:04

Muslims speak out every time!
They hold vigils, donate blood, do tonnes of charity work but it's never reported.
If it is, it's just a little comment at the end of an article, like a little afterthought.

Kaytee1987 Tue 15-Dec-15 13:55:41

The media aren't intetested in showing that side, they would rather have everyone riled up. A group of young Muslims were handing out roses in Glasgow with a lovely anti terrorism message and I think I saw it covered in one paper. Donald Trump literally terrifies me, I hope to God he doesn't become the most powerful man in the world.

Kaytee1987 Tue 15-Dec-15 13:57:52

Also I know you didn't ask about this but there are masses of Muslims killed by these terrorists on an almost daily basis and no one gives a sh*t because the media does not want to humanise those in the middle east so we don't feel bad when we bomb them.

Drew64 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:09:56

So, just because there are lots of Muslim leaders who are not necessarily listened to the press don't give them the time of day unless they pay to take out full page adverts in some newspapers that people may not read.

Yet the press are all too happy to broadcast racial hatred for free.

This can only go one way, Pete Tong

CastaDiva Tue 15-Dec-15 14:12:11

Yes, what's the Romans against Islamists thing, OP? Have I missed the headlines???

Drew64 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:46:28

"The Islamic State awaits the army of “Rome,” whose defeat at Dabiq, Syria, will initiate the countdown to the apocalypse"

In modern times the army of Rome = The west, us.

They want to bring about the end of the world, the apocalypse, by pitting the West against the Islamists.

Kaytee1987 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:53:58

So called Islamic state are nutters, what same person wants the end of the world confused people like Donald Trump play right into their hands by creating more fear and hatred which is what fuels terrorism in the first place. It's a vicious circle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now