To wonder why bin collections don't go back to normal til the end of January

(11 Posts)
LancashirePudding Tue 15-Dec-15 10:10:26

I completely expect bin collections to change the week of Christmas and New Year's Day due to the bank holidays, but I've just had a leaflet from the bin men through the door saying that my weekly bin collection (usually on a Tuesday) is going to be on a different day of the week every week until the end of January. Seems a bit excessive for the collections to be all jumbled up for a full month. I just know that I'm going to get the day wrong at some point next month and miss my bin collection. I'm not so much annoyed by it, just a bit bemused that things are out of kilter for so long. Where I've lived previously, the first bin collection after Christmas would usually be a different day but after that things would go back to normal.

By the way, I fully appreciate how lucky I am to still have a weekly bin collection; I know that for lots of people it's only once a fortnight or even every three weeks and that for those people potentially missing a collection is a far, far bigger headache than it would be for me.

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 15-Dec-15 10:17:56

We have weekly general waste collection and the only days disrupted are Christmas Day (collected on Boxing Day) and New Year's Day (collected on the 2nd Jan). We're unaffected as our bin day is Thursday.

I could do with weekly recycling collection over Christmas though but I've planned ahead and now have a second recycling bin grin

CMOTDibbler Tue 15-Dec-15 10:27:41

We are on alternate weeks, and only two days are disrupted , and its all made up that week. And you can put out bags in addition to your bin as a special treat smile

Meandyouandyouandme Tue 15-Dec-15 10:33:17

That does seem ridiculous. We're like purple, weekly collections though we are on Fridays, so collection on Boxing Day and the following Saturday, no other changes.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 15-Dec-15 10:35:11

We're on alternative weeks and collected on a Friday. We've had no notice as to what days we are being collected. You have prompted me to search online and find out

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 15-Dec-15 10:39:47

If they don't do that then potentially some people will miss one or possibly two collections leaving rubbish for 3 weeks.
If your bin day is Friday then you'd get a collection this week, miss next week ,(Xmas Day), the following week (New Year's Day,) and then you'd get collected on the 8th.
Staggering it means they can claw it back in a fairer way.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 15-Dec-15 10:43:19

We've been brought forward a day, so Thursday both weeks then back to normal

A few people have mentioned here that they have collections on Boxing Day, maybe your local authority are refusing to work the weekends and bank holidays and so thats throwing everything out

LancashirePudding Tue 15-Dec-15 13:57:02

Oh I wouldn't expect for people with Friday collections to just have to miss out both Christmas day and New Year's Day Giddy, it just seems like total overkill for it to take a whole month for things to go back to normal. I suppose I should feel fortunate that we've actually had a leaflet with the dates on this time, normally at Christmas and other Bank Holidays you have to go on the Council website to check. And of course 2 weeks after Easter I get caught out, assuming that we're back on normal collection days and of course we're not...

ButterflyUpSoHigh Tue 15-Dec-15 15:18:09

We are normally Friday collection but they are coming on the two Mondays after instead. Our recycling collection is not coming for 3 weeks though which seems silly as they are supposed to be encouraging recycling. We have weekly rubbish collection and fortnightly recycling collection usually.

Shutthatdoor Tue 15-Dec-15 15:21:52

Ours is the same as Butterfly

mincepieprivateeye Tue 15-Dec-15 16:13:46

Our bin days have recently been changed as the council are trying to save money. They are trying to squash five days collections into to four which seems to be causing problems already. We get our normal rubbish emptied this Thursday but it won't get done again until the 7th January.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now