Talk

Advanced search

2 year old playing console games rated 18 is definitely not cute

(44 Posts)
Notimefortossers Mon 14-Dec-15 23:01:53

Ok, I know MN hates judgement and I do too . . . but really?

Fb friend has just posted a pic of her (D)P who last weekend was the world's biggest cunt and her 2 year old playing said game in a 'Awwww look at my boys, isn't this cute?' kind of fashion.

No love. No it's not cute. It's really bloody terrible actually

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 14-Dec-15 23:15:39

Is the two year old genuinely playing, or been put beside dad for a photo op? You sound judgmental of them anyway tbh.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Mon 14-Dec-15 23:24:14

A two year old most likey wouldn't have any idea of what game it was. You cannot tell from a photo if the kid was actually playing anyway (highly doubt a toddler would have the cognative ability to do so). An older child, I could understand hoisting the judgy-pants, but in this case I think it's not really 'bloody terrible'.

Notimefortossers Mon 14-Dec-15 23:29:33

The post says he is playing it, loving it and knows how to work the pad . . . and that it's 'cute as fuck'

Notimefortossers Mon 14-Dec-15 23:31:24

I do love the term 'hoisting the judgy pants' though. Might start a TAAT . . . 'When is it acceptable to hoist the judgey pants'

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 14-Dec-15 23:46:56

You're clearly just determined to judge this family. The kids two. I think you've just been waiting for something to judge them on.

Notimefortossers Mon 14-Dec-15 23:48:16

I'm not sure how you gather that, but thanks for your opinion!

Littleonesaid Mon 14-Dec-15 23:53:35

Sounds really inappropriate. If it's 18 rated there's clearly explicit content that could upset an 2YO, even if they couldn't fully understand it.

My judgy pants would be hoisted. YANBU.

ThreeRuddyTubs Mon 14-Dec-15 23:56:37

Of course it's inappropriate I really don't know why you're getting a hard time...probably because people like being dicks for the sake of it

Notimefortossers Tue 15-Dec-15 00:05:32

Maybe their kids play it? grin

Mmmmcake123 Tue 15-Dec-15 00:08:37

Cute as fuck comment on a 2 yr old!!!!!!

Notimefortossers Tue 15-Dec-15 00:12:17

Indeed

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 15-Dec-15 00:19:20

Oh good grief, I'm not being a dick, nor do I let my son play such games. I realise that social media is a place for people to post posed nonsense, like this photo. As a previous poster said: a two year old wouldn't have the cognitive ability to play such a game.

Your first couple comments did sound judgey as fuck. The strikeout part was completely irrelevant to the post, it was just a way for you to pass judgement.

JCDenton Tue 15-Dec-15 00:20:52

Actually, as someone who plays a fair few games, I probably wouldn't have a 2 year old in the room while I was playing an obviously violent one, they understand a lot and take a lot in by that age. Maybe I'm over-sensitive but I'd stick to Kerbal Space Program and Crusader Kings until after bedtime.

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 15-Dec-15 00:23:51

JCDenton I totally agree with that. However what the op described sounds like a posed photo. A two year old can't play these games, so a photo of him holding the controller whilst 'playing' with daddy sounds completely posed.

JCDenton Tue 15-Dec-15 00:28:22

I'd need more detail from the OP, but I imagined the dad playing the game and the kid sat with another controller next to him 'joining in' but not actually playing, if that makes sense? So the game is being played while the child is there. Depending on what's happening in game it's probably not crime of the century so can't say one way or the other whether the OP IBU.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 15-Dec-15 00:29:11

Isn't this the equivalent of someone sitting their dog in the driver's seat of the car and taking a photo with a caption about the dog loving to drive? Everyone knows the dog isn't really driving, it's just a "cute" photo.

I wouldn't be thrilled to have my 2 yo around adult games, or indeed films, but I'm not sure that a single snap tells you enough about the actual circumstances to tell how much the child has been exposed to.

ayria Tue 15-Dec-15 00:29:46

The zombies on them Call of Duty games still scare my 6 year old nephew, so yes, it's ridiculous!

Games now are too realistic for little kids to even glance at. I don't play games but what I've seen of my nephews playing, they really are something I wouldn't want my son watching yet sister still allows her 3yo to watch hmm

JCDenton Tue 15-Dec-15 00:33:35

I suppose he could be doing a non-violent part of the game, lots of them have non-violent driving/climbing/exploring elements and in some that can be the bulk of the game. Wouldn't like to condemn them without knowing more.

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 15-Dec-15 00:37:52

Exactly. The op reads as though she was all ready to judge them anyway, this just gave her the opportunity to voice it.

Russellgroupserf Tue 15-Dec-15 00:52:00

There are 16 different buttons, triggers etc to press on a console controller, I do not believe that child is playing the game. But they should not expose him to it.

notquitehuman Tue 15-Dec-15 01:03:47

At 2 he could easily see something that would disturb him in an 18 game. However, I doubt he was really playing it. Hopefully it was just a posed photo and they don't really play dodgy games with him in the room.

kali110 Tue 15-Dec-15 01:29:55

Agree with paul seriously doubt the 2 year has the capability to get to grips with the controller, or even really knows what one is..
It's simply a staged photo.
How many parents do this with their kids? ( maybe not playing on a console but still) i've seen loads of these type pictures.

Fratelli Tue 15-Dec-15 07:31:43

I think yanbu. I too would be judgy!!

Iwonderwhy123 Tue 15-Dec-15 07:35:17

A friend of mine posted a photo of their 2 year old "playing the PlayStation". They just had a hold of the controller while Dad took a silly photo - not for one minute did I think they were up till midnight playing Call of Duty. They probably meant it to be funny hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now