Talk

Advanced search

to assume I am being scammed?

(7 Posts)
MrsH1989 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:36:18

Lastweek we discovered fraud on my ebay account. Some asshole had spend £130 on my account. Luckily it was linked to a credit card and we got the money back no problems. I had 2 parcels that needed collecting so went to the post office and noticed one was to be signed for. Signed for it and they gave me both packages. The signed one turned out to be an empty envelope?? It was in my maiden name (ebay account is too) and so I signed in my maiden name but my first thought (and DH agreed) was that someone is cloning my details to further defraud me of my money!
As far as they are concerned they now have my name (although it is my maiden name and spelt wrong on the letter), my address and now my (old) signature. Can they do anything with this? My card was cancelled and I have a new one and have changed all passwords but I am still worried. What do others think? Can I do anything to stop them?

CFSsucks Mon 14-Dec-15 18:41:21

Is there a fraud department at eBay. I assume there must be. That would be my first call and take their advice. They must know the best way to deal with this.

MrsH1989 Mon 14-Dec-15 19:18:47

Thanks for replying. I fear this has gone further than ebay now. They are aware as paypal have been involved and we have queried the transactions. I am worried they may now try to take out loans in our name. I think the worst that can happen is it damages our credit rating because I had a pretty bad rating in my maiden name so worst case scenario is that they will damage our rating for this address. Still though DH has worked really hard to get an excellent rating and I don't want black marks against his name because of some little s**t.

hefzi Mon 14-Dec-15 19:31:20

It may be that they think you won't be able to claim against them, as they have signed proof of "something" being delivered to you: unlucky, eh, that you've already caught them?! I think it's much more likely to be this kind of Pp/eBay scam than identity theft - as they'd need other details than just your address etc If you're worried, though, keep an eye on your credit files for a while, as that will flag anything - I honestly think, though, it's an idiot who thinks they've found a way round you just being able to charge back a Pp claim by "proving" it's been delivered to your address.

SquinkiesRule Mon 14-Dec-15 19:33:15

You can put a fraud alert on your ID at the credit agencies like Experian
brianpennington.co.uk/2011/06/29/how-to-contact-the-credit-reporting-agencies-to-place-a-fraud-alert/

MrsH1989 Mon 14-Dec-15 20:50:22

Thank you. Huge help!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 14-Dec-15 20:54:56

Addresses don't have credit histories. People do, but if it's your name, it won't affect your DH unless you've got linked credit - and if you've got bad credit and you've got linked credit too, he's already affected by yours.

I thought the same as Hefzi, that someone will enter the details into PayPal and claim that because it's been signed for, it's now delivered, in the hope that PayPal reverses their finding and reawards the money. Possibly a desperate seller?

Your signature does not particularly add anything to anyone trying to defraud you. I'd keep a close eye on your credit file just incase. Maybe sign up to activity alerts for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now