Talk

Advanced search

Sexism in teens today..

(5 Posts)
MySordidCakeSecret Mon 14-Dec-15 18:29:54

Really despairing over teens recently, my 14yr old DS the other day described herself as "anti-feminist" loud and proud and has been stating that all round her (all girls) school - apparently because the wage difference is non-existant.

I pointed out that at 14 she hadn't experienced living in society as a woman or as a mother or in the workplace yet and when i showed her one of those feminism questionnaires it became obvious very quickly that many questions were way above her head.

Then on fb today some 16yr old lad is spouting off like someone's put a rocket up his ass about this that and the other, when a 26yr old comes along with a different opinion he declares her "nowt but a woman" and follows up with a series of very nasty and condascending posts.

I know i know it's just 2 teens but i'm dreading my boys growing up as teens!

So what lines of reasoning would you point out to my sister.. i guess this is normal teen exploration of issues but i never know the right thing to say and it's very frustrating.

Also not all teens are like this are they confused

goodnightdarthvader1 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:31:47

Teens are like this - spouting off about stuff they know nothing about. All you can do is point out the obvious and hope they grow up eventually.

BackforGood Mon 14-Dec-15 18:32:28

Also not all teens are like this are they

No. They aren't.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 14-Dec-15 18:38:28

My 15yo nephew and his mates (boys and girls) are very keen and conscious feminists. I think things have polarised - more overt sexism and more active feminism in response.

MyrtleFox Mon 14-Dec-15 18:41:11

Not all teens are like this I agree.

Ask your teen why traditionally female unskilled labour is paid so much less than traditionally male but unskilled labour.

Postman V Carer
Bus Driver V Cleaner
Delivery Driver V childcarer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now