Talk

Advanced search

Bible from school

(410 Posts)
user7755 Mon 14-Dec-15 17:51:12

DS goes to a standard secondary (not a religious school), he came home last week with a bible.

I remember we got them when we were kids but I had forgotten thought we had moved on since then

DS doesn't believe in God, his choice and nothing to do with us. But I'm just really shocked and irritated at this act, presumably an attempt to spread the word and indoctrinate kids into organised religion.

I am very, very anti organised religion right now, following a historical abuse case involving our family which has just been through the court and involved a vicar, so very aware that I'm probably oversensitive.

Is it me? AIBU?

FriendofBill Mon 14-Dec-15 17:53:12

If you don't want it, give it away/charity shop/recycling.

No big thing.

WorraLiberty Mon 14-Dec-15 17:53:51

Yes.

If he's of senior school age then he's old enough to choose to either read it or bin it.

chantico Mon 14-Dec-15 17:55:32

Yes, YABU.

Schools will offer books from anyone who provides them. If you want to see more available, then you need to support those who supply them.

I think it's rather a shame that there is not greater availability of a wider range, but if no-one is doing it, it can't happen.

Though perhaps there will be MNetters who know of organisations who distribute other works?

ItchyArmpits Mon 14-Dec-15 17:55:39

It's fine to be against organised religion, but I think it's good to know a bit about whatever it is that you oppose.

If you really want to put him off religion, encourage him to read it all. He'll probably give up on it well before he gets to Leviticus.

Clobbered Mon 14-Dec-15 17:55:41

Probably a gift from the Gideons. Standard fare in a lot of schools. Not indoctrination, you are overreacting.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 14-Dec-15 17:55:45

We had one as well - never read it. Doubt yoir DS will either, nor my DD13.
Put it un a drawer and forget it.

elliejjtiny Mon 14-Dec-15 17:57:05

Is it from the gideons? They've been giving out bibles to secondary school children, hotels, hospitals etc for years. Just recycle/charity shop if your ds doesn't want it.

VestalVirgin Mon 14-Dec-15 17:58:28

Don't worry. It is just a book. Useful information.

Schools who don't state that they're religious shouldn't do that, but ... a free book is a free book.

I am agnostic, and decided against Christianity because I read large parts of the Bible and there are rather misogynist bits in there. It is not very useful as indoctrination.

Knowing your Bible is always fun when you get into a debate with religious extremists.

If they get their knickers in a twist about homosexuality, or divorce, or whatever, you can quote the biblical statements on all the things THEY do wrong at them. (You will certainly find something.)

celtictoast Mon 14-Dec-15 18:00:34

YABU. Just reading a book doesn't mean you automatically believe everything in it. The Bible, like it or not, is a literary classic.

wasonthelist Mon 14-Dec-15 18:00:43

YANBU - It isn't appropriate and should not be sanctioned by school.

Bubbletree4 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:02:32

Just charity shop it. I got given a bible at school. Aren't all schools loosely Christian, as this is the UK?

VagueIdeas Mon 14-Dec-15 18:04:06

I'd be peeved, because I don't think schools should allow such lazy attempts at indoctrination.

Made me think of this tweet though grin

twitter.com/mitchbenn/status/675445735421304833

WorraLiberty Mon 14-Dec-15 18:04:30

The bible doesn't belong to the OP

Surely it should be up to her DS whether he reads it or gets rid of it?

ItchyArmpits Mon 14-Dec-15 18:05:27

I think learning about religions is really, really important. Helps us understand other people better, and fear and hate them less, imo. It also helps us understand our own traditions.

The number of kids I know who only know of Christmas as a time when they receive presents and who have absolutely no understanding whatsoever of Lent and Easter shocks me. Their understanding of other religions is not any more thorough.

Learning about religion is not the same as indoctrination.

Outfoxed Mon 14-Dec-15 18:05:43

i remember being given a gideon bible when I was in school....I read it, it didn't turn me into a Christian....I still have a bible or two knocking around, and a qu'ran..and I'm a pretty intense atheist...learning about religion is good for people imo

WorraLiberty Mon 14-Dec-15 18:08:18

I agree ItchyArmpits and we're lucky to live in a free country that makes learning about other religions possible.

VulcanWoman Mon 14-Dec-15 18:08:31

You could send a strongly worded email, the more people that do this, the more chance of them giving it a rest.

Sallyingforth Mon 14-Dec-15 18:10:35

It's just a book. It won't bite him or turn him into a religious maniac. He can read it or not as he chooses. He'll pick up far more harmful things from the internet, if he hasn't already.

Kaytee1987 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:10:49

If he doesn't believe in God then it's only a book and he can either read it aa such or not read it like any other books that are handed out. As a historical book it has a lit to offer about the way people live but if he's not interested he could give it back and there's no problem.

VestalVirgin Mon 14-Dec-15 18:12:33

YABU. Just reading a book doesn't mean you automatically believe everything in it. The Bible, like it or not, is a literary classic.

Yes. May not be the case for GB as much, as there was also Shakespeare, but the German language is very much influenced by biblical passages; there are many sayings in everyday speech that originate in the Bible.

You should just know about it.

I agree with Itchy, learning is not indoctrination.

Kaytee1987 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:13:40

State schools have religious education still I'm assuming where you learn about Islam, Hinduism etc so why not Christianity? I've got 3 bibles and a Quoran in my house reading the Quoran hasn't made me Muslim it just means I've gained more insight into a lot of things.

redexpat Mon 14-Dec-15 18:17:00

DS goes to a standard secondary (not a religious school) No such thing exists in England. All schools are required to have collective worship of a broadly Christian nature. There is no separation of Church and State. So yes YABU. But totally understandable given the court case. Very sorry to hear about what happened to your family.

Keep the book. It's a good reference book for when he has to read Shakespeare.

x2boys Mon 14-Dec-15 18:20:57

i went to catholic schools my primary was a convent school so we were awash with bibles ,priests and nuns if anyone was going to be indoctrinated it should have been me only i wasnt i stopped going to church when i was a teenager.hmm

fidel1ne Mon 14-Dec-15 18:20:59

Qu'ran

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now