Talk

Advanced search

To cry when I hear Silent Night?

(64 Posts)
Harriedharriet Mon 14-Dec-15 16:45:23

Every bloody time and every bloody year. Yesterday I was at a service where everyone sang it and boom, off I go. I try so hard to control myself. I bite my lip, deep slow breaths, pinch my arm, put my one sharp nail into my flesh at a painful angle, say the alphabet. Nothing works. The tears come. Then I am red faced, sniffling and fairly mortified! 😂I find it so beautiful, so simple and so ? Anyone else?

Harriedharriet Mon 14-Dec-15 16:46:04

Bloody Germans!

Shaffron Mon 14-Dec-15 16:48:52

I cry at In The Bleak Midwinter. I think carols are so beautiful, whether you are religious or not.

PeasinPod1 Mon 14-Dec-15 16:49:39

Agreed, gorgeous song & even nicer/more haunting in German

Harriedharriet Mon 14-Dec-15 16:59:49

I am not alone!😀

I cry at almost any carol, it was worse when my boys were at school and I had to sit through school plays and such like, got me every time. I can't watch those xmas 'on your own' adverts for salvation army etc either without floods of tears <officially a wuss>

NotEnoughTime Mon 14-Dec-15 17:16:31

Harriedharriet

Me too. Most of the hymns that children sing make me cry but Silent Night is the worst. There is just something very special and innocent about it. The line "Bless all the dear children in thy tender care" literally leaves me sobbing fblush

I am going to my son's Nativity on Thursday and am steeling myself for it already.

ToffeePenny Mon 14-Dec-15 17:17:16

'O little town of Bethlehem' here (plus it reminds me of carolling as a child with all the people that are no longer with us - bittersweet)

megletthesecond Mon 14-Dec-15 17:20:12

Yanbu.

I have to really hold it together during 'Silent Night' and 'O little town...'.

I'm fucking welling up just thinking about It blush. <<slaps self with grip>>

bobsalong Mon 14-Dec-15 17:21:46

I cried at the Michael Bublé version today.

I also cry at Fairytale of New York, Away in a Manger, Once in Royal David's City, O Little Town of Bethlehem... the list goes on...

Whatsername24 Mon 14-Dec-15 17:27:48

You most definitely aren't alone, I'd cry every year at the school Christmas service when mine were in infants and juniors.

liquidrevolution Mon 14-Dec-15 17:46:02

You are not alone (sob!)

Its my favourite carol ever and I have been singing it to my DD. By then end of the first verse my voice has cracked and the tears start. I just love any solo versions of it.

Am such a soppy. fblush

VestalVirgin Mon 14-Dec-15 17:51:17

I don't cry when I hear it, but it is a very nice song.

BumgrapesofWrath Mon 14-Dec-15 17:52:02

Me too.

And to Once in Royal David's City. And to Little Donkey. And Away in a Manger.

Something about group singing sets me off. Add Christmas and children into the mix and i'm a goner.

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 14-Dec-15 17:55:41

Cried at Go Tell it on the Mountain yesterday. It was a carol service and they sang nothing more tear worthy and it was the last song.

Kaytee1987 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:07:21

Yep, cry in church everytime we sing it - usually Christmas eve. Something magical about Christmas carols in church on Christmas eve with candles everywhere and the lights dimmed. It's the biggest part of Christmas for me, I love it!

ChestyNut Mon 14-Dec-15 18:29:00

I cry at nearly all carols blush

My eyes are watering just thinking about them?!

VaticanAssassin Mon 14-Dec-15 18:30:47

O Holy Night kills me every time blush

Dorslife2015 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:38:25

Snap. O Holy Night, every bloody time.

Varya Mon 14-Dec-15 18:42:37

Me too,boo hoo.

originalmavis Mon 14-Dec-15 18:48:39

I was once at a very posh City Christmas lunch. It was all very boozy and jolly then all the lights went down. A disco ball shone lite silver stars all around the hall and a spotlight hit a soprano on tbe minstrels gallery as she sang silent night, unaccompanied. It was so beautiful and I has tingles down my spine.

There were quite a few snivvels and honking into napkins!

originalmavis Mon 14-Dec-15 18:52:42

Oh lord and I was weeping at last years end of term concert. There are 2 kids at school who sang the mist beautiful song - I think it's called the prayer, sung in Latin - wailing I was.

The boy and girl have the most amazing, clear, pure and strong voices - absolutely gobsmacking. A mum told me that the boy had been on tv singing and I'm not surprised. Definately a name to watch!

originalmavis Mon 14-Dec-15 18:54:12

And my son would cry at how much is that doggy in tbe window? And you are my sunshine when he was about 3. Of course that could be been my singing.

StarlingMurmuration Mon 14-Dec-15 18:56:46

I cry at 'In the Bleak Midwinter' too, but it has to be the Darke setting, the other doesn't affect me at all.

Hassled Mon 14-Dec-15 18:59:32

Just the sound of children singing carols makes me get things in my eyes.

Have you heard the Simon & Garfunkel Silent Night? Set against a newsreader reading the news - here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now