Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to help this little girl?

(23 Posts)
FlowersAndShit Mon 14-Dec-15 13:49:34

Mum and I were out shopping, went to the toilet and there was a mother with her little girls there. As I was washing my hands, the little girl (about 5/6) was struggling to reach the soap dispenser (her mum was still in the toilet) so I instinctively picked her up under the arms so she could reach the soap. Then I realised maybe I shouldn't have done that. WIBU to help her? My mum was also there.

SumThucker Mon 14-Dec-15 13:52:27

I wouldn't have minded personally, but you probably should have waited for her mum to come out.

Lj8893 Mon 14-Dec-15 13:52:54

I think it's a bit of a non-issue really.

gamerchick Mon 14-Dec-15 13:54:11

I do the same.

At an ex job I had a little boy come up to me fresh out of the toilets wanting me to pull his trousers up and what not. I pulled them up but stopped myself doing the zip and button and took him to find his nanna. It is instinctive, especially if you have littlies of your own.

OddSocksHighHeels Mon 14-Dec-15 14:32:18

I don't see why it would be an issue. I'd have asked the girl though first, in case she didn't want you to lift her.

VestalVirgin Mon 14-Dec-15 14:45:27

I don't see why it would be an issue. I'd have asked the girl though first, in case she didn't want you to lift her.

This. Always ask first. Otherwise I don't see an issue.

timelytess Mon 14-Dec-15 14:47:19

Don't pick up other people's children. On MN, its not an issue. In RL, it is.

FairyFluffbum Mon 14-Dec-15 14:49:07

Hmm I can see why you did it but I would be slightly uncomfortable if I saw you pick up my child. I wouldn't make an issue out of it and I would say thank you for helping but I still wouldn't like it

TheBunnyOfDoom Mon 14-Dec-15 14:49:31

I've never had it be an issue before, either. So long as you ask the child, what's the issue? I help kids at work who want to look at things on the counter but are too short. No parent has ever complained and every single one has said thank you for not ignoring their child.

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 14-Dec-15 14:58:09

I don't think that's true at all Tess.

Leelu6 Mon 14-Dec-15 15:03:21

I probably would have done the same, under the reasoning that it takes a village to raise a child. I probably would have asked the girl first though.

Bounced Mon 14-Dec-15 15:06:26

I'd ask first. And probably put soap on my hand and pass it to her, if she could reach the sink / taps but just not the soap.

I wish they'd design public toilets better - I still have to lift my (admittedly fairly small for her age) 7yo sometimes so she can reach the taps, and it's a pain as it means she can't use those toilets independently.

EvaBING Mon 14-Dec-15 15:08:10

I too would have asked the girl first - 'will I help you?' Mummy would have shit a brick fairly quickly and been out in a second! haha.

God - isn't it a sad state of affairs that you can't just help a little one out.

CheesyWeez Mon 14-Dec-15 15:12:36

Like Bounced, I have squirted soap onto my own hand before and then transferred it to their little hands!

Janeymoo50 Mon 14-Dec-15 15:18:29

Don't pick up other people's children. On MN, its not an issue. In RL, it is.

Personally it seems the other way round on MN most of the time - "don't touch or help my child, I would go ape, how dare someeone talk to my princess etc etc etc"

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 14-Dec-15 15:25:38

I'd have probably done it too. There is a lot less of the "don't touch my child" stuff over here though.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 14-Dec-15 15:27:41

I wouldn't have, but my 7yo dd struggles massively with people touching her, she has anxiety and ADHD and that would have resulted in a huge meltdown so I'm probably more cautious than some.

FlowersAndShit Mon 14-Dec-15 15:33:47

Thanks for the replies. I did it without thinking really but probably wouldn't do it again because of the potential issues.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 14-Dec-15 15:35:32

I wouldn't have helped unless she had indicated she wanting helping I don't think.

Thurlow Mon 14-Dec-15 15:49:27

I wouldn't have minded at all if someone had helped my DC - but on the flip side, if that had been me I would have asked if I could pass her some soap or help her up, rather than just randomly lifting her up.

MontyYouTerribleCunt Mon 14-Dec-15 15:51:19

I probably wouldn't have done it. Only because I would have hated this as a child. Not a big issue though. Wouldn't worry too much.

Kelsoooo Mon 14-Dec-15 15:51:41

This place is like a parallel universe sometimes.

Why did it even cross your mind that its not okay? Im forver helping kids out with things, and I don't like kids. But I'm always the one they come running to at softplays/parties etc.

MrsJayy Mon 14-Dec-15 16:01:56

I probably would have done the soap on hand thing but honestly its fine I am always cautious of lifting children up but the girl didnt mind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now