Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask dcs' school re rocket launch?

(12 Posts)
TellMeALittle Mon 14-Dec-15 12:17:31

My youngest ds (5) is so excited about the rocket launch tomorrow and the bbc are covering the event tomorrow morning from 10.30 am.

Obviously he'll be in school so I've emailed asking them whether they'd be able to give children the opportunity to watch.

They are having a fairly relaxed last week of term, and I did say that I realise they are busy with carol concerts etc, and I'm going to record it. I think they are also showing the arrival at 7pm at the space station, so he'll get to watch this part at home.

Aibu?

Bejeena Mon 14-Dec-15 12:44:44

Why doesn't he just watch it when he gets home? Surely it is a bit last minute to suggest it as a class activity. He will think it is just as cool watching from home.

Actually the lead up to a launch is a bit tedious for five year olds I think. The

Witchend Mon 14-Dec-15 13:07:27

I can't imagine it would be particularly good for a reception/year 1 class to watch. It isn't that interesting to watch, and I'd imagine most wouldn't be bothered at all.

Also do you remember, was it Challenger, that exploded as it went up? There was filming in a school watching it, I think they may have known one of the people on it, but I'm not sure. They were "big children to me", I think secondary, but it could be older primary. The horror and panic on their faces as they saw it explode has stayed with me.

megletthesecond Mon 14-Dec-15 13:10:16

I wouldn't. Something might go wrong. We'll watch once he's docked and is safely on ISS.

arethereanyleftatall Mon 14-Dec-15 13:14:56

Yanbu to ask, but I think yabu to expect it to happen.
My two dc wouldn't be remotely interested in this, and I doubt they'd be alone.
Just record it.

JessicasRabbit Mon 14-Dec-15 14:19:51

I imagine it would be somewhat dull for the majority of 5yo. Also, there is an issue of explaining what happens if something goes wrong. Admittedly it is unlikely, but it is possible and the launch is being streamed live. Older kids, who can accept that there are risks involved in everything, might find it hard to accept they've seen live footage of a person being killed or seriously injured, so I wouldn't want 5yo to witness that.

dodobookends Mon 14-Dec-15 14:24:09

Witchend, yes, there were many children watching when the Challenger blew up - teacher Christa McAuliffe was on board, terrible tragedy.

Girlwhowearsglasses Mon 14-Dec-15 14:27:53

Gosh I really really remember watching the first Shuttle launch in the school dining room (I was at primary). Will be a nice memory.

I would think it's a bit late though because they probably have all sorts of stuff going on (Christmas lunch, shows, awards etc...)

If it hadn't been massively cloudy I would have taken mine out to see the eclipse earlier in the year but it was dull as ditchwater

Enjolrass Mon 14-Dec-15 15:49:14

It's a long drawn out process that can be abandoned for many reasons.

We work from home so will have the coverage on. But I am most excited to see it dock.

Yanbu to ask Yabu to expect it. Many children won't be that fussed either. It will be very boring for a lot of them.

hefzi Mon 14-Dec-15 15:57:21

We used to watch this sort of thing at primary school- I still remember the raising of the Mary Rose: but I suspect, if there is space in the day for it to happen, they've got it covered - no harm at all, though, in asking :-)

AuntieStella Mon 14-Dec-15 16:03:34

I think asking the day before is probably going to go down like a lead balloon. No time to plan and rejig things.

But as the date's been known for months, and it's been an excuse to have a bit of a push of space info towards schools, perhaps they'll be doing something anyhow.

Though remembering the death of Christa McAuliffe and the others on that mission, I think delayed live is better for smaller DC.

AwakeCantSleep Mon 14-Dec-15 16:24:30

Just wanted to say that the launches/dockings and also the separation/landings of the Soyus craft happen several times a year and are always streamed live by NASA (type NASA tv into google). So you don't have to rely on the BBC to watch them.

I agree with the others that most of it is pretty dull for a 5 year-old. (Lots of radio comms around "all parameters nominal" "you are 'go' for activation of xyz" "please confirm that the abc switch is in the off position". Plus, the comms are all in Russian, and a translator talks over it.)

Mind you, the BBC may well make it a bit more exciting than NASA manage with their commentary smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now