Talk

Advanced search

To think kids menus are pointless?

(102 Posts)
Pyjamaramadrama Mon 14-Dec-15 10:59:34

And that half portions of the regular menu would be a much better idea.

Usually when we eat out we just let ds order from the kids menu without thinking about it. It's almost always boring, burger and chips, chicken nuggets and chips.

Like a lot of 7 year olds ds does like that sort of food but when at home he will at least eat most things.

Saturday we went to a place without a children's menu but still family friendly, a Mediterranean place.

Dh looked blankly over the menu and asked what an earth ds could have. Ds asked the waiter where the children's menu was blushI rolled my eyes and said its just food.

We ended up having sharing platters and tapas dishes and ds loved it, couldn't get enough of the food.

Such ashame most food places don't adopt this.

Artandco Mon 14-Dec-15 11:01:19

Agree. I've never ordered kids food of any kids menu as it's usually fast food type things they don't eat

They usually have a selection of starters or restaurant does half size portions of any dish

AliceInUnderpants Mon 14-Dec-15 11:02:08

Most restaurants (oops almost wrote moist! wouldn't want to eat there!) will make a smaller portion of 'adult' meals if requested.

Sirzy Mon 14-Dec-15 11:03:18

I often order off the main menu for Ds as he doesn't like nuggets, fish fingers or pizza.

Thurlow Mon 14-Dec-15 11:05:25

YABU. They aren't pointless - but I do think they should offer both.

Kids are funny things when it comes to eating. A lot will just have quite plain or limited diets, despite whatever their parents do, and so chicken nugget and chips or pizza is a safer option when eating out.

However half portions of adult food, where possible, would be really good as equally a lot of children would prefer the fish or steak or something.

Having said that, when we eat out we do tend to go for chicken nugget and chips as that's not something DD gets to eat at home, so it is a "treat" for her - and also she tends to be quite distracted in restaurants by the excitement of it all, so I'd rather buy something she sees as a "treat" and will actually eat.

What I would like to see is food options for children under 5. Most kids menu's (or even half portions of adult food) are around £6, say. A 3yo doesn't want a starter, main, pudding and a soft drink.

Domino777 Mon 14-Dec-15 11:06:49

My kids favourite places are ones where children's meals are simply small half sized portions of the normal adult menu. They find special kiddie menus unexciting. I can still see the need for special kiddie menus though as some children are served solely nuggets, sausages, fish fingers and chips at home, then struggle to eat normal meals elsewhere.

Pyjamaramadrama Mon 14-Dec-15 11:07:00

We do tend to eat in chain pub type places if we go out with ds and have been looked at like I'm from Mars if I've asked for anything like.

I've always found independent places far better.

It was so much nicer just ordering proper meals for him.

I'm not bothered about the junk food as it's a treat but it means not trying new things.

willconcern Mon 14-Dec-15 11:07:14

Yes, or my kids have often shared an adult portion between them - just ask for an extra plate to divide it.

Or have starters.

Agree childrens' menus are usually disappointing.

RiverTam Mon 14-Dec-15 11:09:39

There's a difference between not having kids' menus and not being able to fathom what to have if there isn't one. Clearly your DS likes what's on the kids' menu, I'm more hmm at your DH!

I like kids' menus though I find the portions can actually be huge. Certainly for us, meals out with a 6yo aren't really about the food so ease and being child-friendly are what we're after. If I want a 'nice' meal out I'll go with DH or a friend!

Pyjamaramadrama Mon 14-Dec-15 11:10:28

Yes fair point for children who either don't like nuggets etc, or those who only eat that. You don't want eating out to be a stress.

My annoyance is if there's a bright children's menu there ds wants that, if there isn't one he just gets on and eats.

scarlets Mon 14-Dec-15 11:10:47

I agree with the op, but also take the point of the pp who mentioned that nuggets are regarded as a treat by children who normally eat well at home.

RaspberrySwitchblade Mon 14-Dec-15 11:13:31

'proper' food?

'normal' meals?

food snobbery at it's tesco finest grin

YABU as children's menus aren't pointless. They are an alternative.

KitZacJak Mon 14-Dec-15 11:13:36

I think they are great as they are much better value than ordering off the main menu. Even a half portion from the main menu would cost a lot more.

However, mine eat so much now that they tend to eat off the main menu which means we don't go out much because it's too expensive.

KatoPotato Mon 14-Dec-15 11:13:36

Some kids will only eat nuggets etc, so of course they aren't 'pointless'

Ds only has chips when we're out, it's a huge treat for him.

TaliZorah Mon 14-Dec-15 11:14:50

I order off the kids menu for myself because I'm unadventurous with food.

If you want a smaller portion of an adult meal just ask for it. It's a non issue

Alastrante Mon 14-Dec-15 11:19:06

I have one kid who has really benefitted from kids' menus. I don't like it, I agree they're full of crap, and I wish he'd eat what's on the adult menu, but the fact is he won't. He won't eat what we eat at home, either, unless it's really simple. (Think WW2 diet.) He simply never has. I don't know what to tell you except we give him the food we have, and if it's overcomplicated, he won't eat it.

He is growing up and asking to try things outside his comfort zone, so we welcome that and make sure he's still exposed to a variety of food. The whole situation has really bothered us as we're in love with food and cooking, but there it is. We picked other battles!

Pyjamaramadrama Mon 14-Dec-15 11:21:36

I'm definitely not a food snob.

My annoyance is ds will want to order from the kids menu if there is one, I'm not going to say no if we've gone out to eat but if there isn't one he's fine.

Yes I understand people don't want a battle if they've gone out for a meal.

It's each to their own I guess.

onecurrantbun1 Mon 14-Dec-15 11:22:07

It depends what type of places you're eating out at. Mostly we go for nice pubs where DH has their enormous burgers with chips - a grown up version of the kids menu! I tend to have salmon or homemade pie. We don't really go for restaurants with wine lists or anything unless we are on a rare childfree night out! Indian restaurants they obviously just have what we are having.

Thurlow Mon 14-Dec-15 11:22:26

Surely it depends what kind of restaurant it is too?

If it was a really nice restaurant that served adults good meat and fish, I'd be disappointed if it only served nuggets and fish fingers for kids. If we'd gone out to have a nice meal, I'd like it if the kids options were nice too.

But a lot of restaurants aren't like that, and you might be eating out yourself as an adult looking for burger and chips. In which case I'd not be disappointed at all if the kids menu just had nuggets and sausages.

Crabbitface Mon 14-Dec-15 11:22:40

What I would like to see is food options for children under 5. Most kids menu's (or even half portions of adult food) are around £6, say. A 3yo doesn't want a starter, main, pudding and a soft drink.

Thurlo Prezzo do a Kids menu (5-12) £6.95 plus a Tots menu (up to 5) for £3.95 Both are 3 courses and a drink. It's great. My very nearly 6 yo still get the tots menu because the portions are a decent size. You can barely even get a kids box in a supermarket cafe for £4 so we go there a lot. Mains for adults are pricey but DM has a taste card and we get 2 for one on mains.

Pyjamaramadrama Mon 14-Dec-15 11:25:10

Sorry I don't really class nuggets and chips as proper food! It doesn't mean they don't have their place. We have our fair share of macdonalds and freezer food!

I just mean if we've gone to a proper Italian or Greek or Bangledeshi I'd would like to see ds try something and not be scared to try something unfamiliar.

RiverTam Mon 14-Dec-15 11:25:17

So stop going to places that have them. But you can't stop restaurants from offering them nor other people (including your own son!) from using them. He's unlikely to want to chose from them forever, particularly if he gets lots of variety at home.

You really do sound like a food snob, much better that DS is seen to enjoy tapas than chips, right??

CheerfulYank Mon 14-Dec-15 11:26:10

I think they should just offer chicken nuggets or what have you on the regular menu, though I don't know what they'd do about portion size etc. When they have those things in a seperate kid's menu it feels like it reinforces the notion that kids only eat that kind of food.

futureme Mon 14-Dec-15 11:27:02

My issue is that they'd like what's on the adults menu but its more than twice the price. We simply couldn't afford 4 x adult prices and the girls don't want the same thing as each other.

It does leave the "x and chips" for them or basic pasta which I agree is rubbish. Or a 'box" which we sometimes get which I'm sure would be nicer food if made at home byut then wouldn't have the novelty of the box...

RaspberrySwitchblade Mon 14-Dec-15 11:29:11

The point about the type of place you're choosing to eat is very valid too.

And the huge burgers and even scampi.

God, i need a pub scampi and chips after typing this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now