Talk

Advanced search

To not take ds on nursery trip?

(10 Posts)
duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Dec-15 09:29:59

It's at 10, so I have to decide pronto.

We're walking from the nursery to the station (10min) then train to canary wharf to "look at sparkly things". Finishes at 1.

Ds has developmental delays, not a great walker, so I'd have to take his large buggy for when he got tired. He won't hold on to said buggy and walk, only my hand. He also has a tendency to run off / lie on the floor and refuse to move.

Wibu to just not go?

IMurderedStampyLongnose Mon 14-Dec-15 09:31:07

YANBU.What does he like doing?Do that instead,no point giving yourself hassle.x

PinkSquash Mon 14-Dec-15 09:32:24

YANBU, if you don't think it's appropriate, don't go.

Although the nursery should have a 1:1 for him to go, or are all the parents going?

brummiesue Mon 14-Dec-15 09:33:22

Would he enjoy it? How do you manage other trips out with him normally?

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Dec-15 09:34:30

That was my thoughts stampy

Plus canary wharf is so busy all the time. Oh I don't know, he might be perfectly behaved and love it. probably not

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Dec-15 09:37:31

pinksquash Yes, all the parents are going.

Brummie I usually cope with trips out by not going on the train, and knowing exactly what we're doing, where changing facilities are, and often with a helper if it's somewhere busy!

Chillyegg Mon 14-Dec-15 09:41:03

I'd go, you can always come back take a break.

Chillyegg Mon 14-Dec-15 09:44:13

Sorry was meant to say I'd go but with the proviso that I can come home or take a break from walking. Are therr staff on hand to help?

IMurderedStampyLongnose Mon 14-Dec-15 09:52:31

I really wouldn't go,how are you going to push the pram and hold his hand all at once?sounds like a nightmare,and I think you're doing well to even consider it.flowers

Ashvis Mon 14-Dec-15 10:13:30

Bit late, I know, but I'd a very similar situation recently. I drove ds to the place of the nursery trip, had a buggy in the car if I needed it, and stayed as long as ds wanted to. Mine is pretty high functioning autistic, but he can get tired really quickly and we get lots of refusal to walk. Then the next day he walks for miles. His nursery are lovely and I've given them some suggestions for trips he would be able to participate in more. They hadn't given a thought to how my ds would be if I hadn't been there, and no thought about coping if he lay down and refused to walk. If they want to be inclusive nurseries and schools really need to think about what all the kids are capable of doing. Good for you for even considering it, op, you're very brave!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now