Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to not offer a refund?

(18 Posts)
Realitea Mon 14-Dec-15 06:59:53

I always thought I was a pro when it comes to eBay but I'm a bit unsure here. I recently sold some boots on eBay and the buyer has said that they scuffed the first time they wore them and they don't believe they're real leather as described.
I was sure they were. As the buyer damaged the boots am I still required to offer a refund?

Dawndonnaagain Mon 14-Dec-15 07:16:19

Sounds like someone is trying to con you. Leather will scuff if treated badly.

Seeyounearertime Mon 14-Dec-15 07:18:50

Tell them to go away and open a dispute if they feel strongly.

With footwear, used or new, I would always put:
"No returns once worn" or the typical "please check for fit on soft carpet as refund will not be given once worn"
Etc etc.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Mon 14-Dec-15 07:29:28

We're they new boots? They should have had a material stamp somewhere (lining or sole). I'd argue that leather is more likely to scuff!

Tell them to pick their feet up! unhelpful

TwoSmellyDogs Mon 14-Dec-15 07:37:28

She's trying it on - she probably wants you to do a substantial part refund so she gets a pair of bargain boots for Christmas. Just don't entertain it. Of course leather will scuff if you scrape it - what planet is she on grin. Stay polite, tell her they are leather (if you're sure they are) and that you'll refund her when she obtains proof that they're not. Can you find the same boots online anywhere to check your position?

KakiFruit Mon 14-Dec-15 07:47:00

Let them open a dispute. Sounds like it would be found in your favour unless they can prove the boots weren't leather. Maybe you can forestall that by finding the spec online from wherever they were originally bought from, and sending that to the buyer as proof they ARE leather?

Aeroflotgirl Mon 14-Dec-15 08:05:46

What a load of bull, she's trying it on. I bought my dd and ds brand new leather Kicker schoo, shoes from John Lewis, they scuffed the first time they wore them. If you treat them badly they will scuff.

Lweji Mon 14-Dec-15 08:07:34

Surely they have a label inside?

Enjolrass Mon 14-Dec-15 08:19:33

Find the shoe online. If it confirms leather send her the link. If she opens a dispute, you have that back up.

If it says they aren't ask her to send them back. I bet they aren't scuffed at all

ijustwannadance Mon 14-Dec-15 08:21:49

Ebay will most likely refund anyway. Buyers seem to get away with anything now.

Realitea Mon 14-Dec-15 08:22:41

I have a feeling she won't send them back. I will now search for the boots. I wish I'd said once they're worn It's too late!

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 14-Dec-15 08:24:31

Don't eBay always find in favour of the buyer though? Even if you have overwhelming evidence that you're in the right?

I wouldn't let it go as far as a dispute tbh. I'd ask her to send them back if she's not happy and refund her.

KakiFruit Mon 14-Dec-15 08:33:08

Don't eBay always find in favour of the buyer though? Even if you have overwhelming evidence that you're in the right?

No. Where there is doubt they usually side with the buyer, but it's certainly not a given.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 14-Dec-15 08:42:33

Ebay sided with the seller in my case, even though I had a letter from Parcelforce saying that they had wrongly delivered the parcel to completely the wrong address. Ebay kept telling me it had been left with a neighbour before disengaging completely. I managed to get the money back from my credit card.

CreviceImp Mon 14-Dec-15 08:49:49

I have had a couple of dodgy people recently. One was someone who claimed I had sent a cashmere jumper with holes. I know for certain I hadn't. It was new and I had thoroughly checked it over. I asked for photos and they had cut three holes in the front of the jumper probably because it was too small for them.

The other one I had claimed I had sent a coat with a hole in the pocket and a flaw in the fabric. The coat was in pristine condition and a very expensive cashmere mix one and again I know it was in perfect condition. They asked for a partial refund for <cough> repairs. I offered them a partial refund but also said I would prefer them to send it back for a full refund. Not wanting to have a repeat of the above by asking for photographic evidence, I asked them where the flaw was and got no response.

I am not selling anymore as a consequence.

hefzi Mon 14-Dec-15 17:30:03

The only sensible option for a private seller in this case is to ask them to return for a full refund: otherwise, you run the risk of getting the boots back damaged, or not at all (if you refuse a refund, she opens a case and eBay find in her favour - which in this scenario, they will, I am afraid). She is probably hoping you'll give her a partial refund and get an even bigger deal - don't be suckered into it!

Although eBay allow you to select no refunds as an option, it's basically meaningless: all that will happen is that a buyer will open a case for SNAD against you (earning you a defect, and putting you on your way to a selling ban if you accumulate enough of these) and you will be paying for the return. People who stick to their guns and refuse to accept a refund end up with the cash being escalated to eBay, where the result is that the buyer gets to keep the item, and the refund.

Take a look on eBay's discussion boards for advice - whilst it can terrify, it can also ensure you're not totally out of pocket!

susiella Mon 14-Dec-15 17:57:38

hefzi yes, this has just happened to me. I tried to hold out & not accept a return. Buyer has got to keep the item (a saddle, so not cheap) & ebay have also refunded her. I have been completely been put off selling anything else.

CFSsucks Mon 14-Dec-15 18:46:43

EBay refunded a buyer of mine before but they also accepted I wasn't in the wrong and didn't take the money from me! I've also been put off selling on ebay because people are utterly ridiculous. Tell her scuffed shoes cannot be returned given you have no way of knowing how they became scuffed. She may give up. I'm assuming you have photos to show they were not scuffed when she bought them? She shouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now