Talk

Advanced search

Extravagant gift for baby AIBU - no clue what to request!

(30 Posts)
Gizmo2206 Sun 13-Dec-15 22:58:42

My baby is 8 months old and we have some relative visiting for Christmas, they have said they would like to buy a gift that our baby will enjoy and asked us to choose what she would like. They suggested around the £100 mark. This is a lot more than we will spend on gifts for DD! AIBU to not have a clue what to request?

Any help greatly appreciated! She already has a Jumperoo and our flat is too tiny for a walker! She is already mobile (standing, crawling etc). It doesn't have to be as much as £100, we haven't bought her anything yet as she has everything she needs so don't know what to suggest!

Makemineacabsauv Sun 13-Dec-15 23:01:24

I had this request when ds was 9 months old at Christmas. We put some money towards it and bought a lovely wooden play house for the back garden. Both kids had many years of enjoyment from it and it was a lovely first Christmas present.

BackforGood Sun 13-Dec-15 23:01:35

Some Premium Bonds - which she can enjoy for years to come, and, as an adult if she decides she doesn't want them anymore, she will still be able to sell them and use them for something she will enjoy then. I the interim years she might have a few little wins on them.

BarbarianMum Sun 13-Dec-15 23:04:12

What about something she can sit on and push with her feet? She's too young now but for next summer? We were given a really cute ride on ladybird which cost about £60.

Gizmo2206 Sun 13-Dec-15 23:05:11

ahhhh premium bonds are out because they want her to open a gift and be excited! They aren't normally in England at Christmas and don't have any children themselves so I think they are imagining wrapping a big gift and keeping it under their tree (they are also buying for my nieces who are a bit older and will hopefully react in an excited manner!)

ChristmasEvePJs Sun 13-Dec-15 23:09:14

How kind. A smart trike is good for longevity.

Needtobebetter Sun 13-Dec-15 23:09:19

What about a Smart Trike? They last for a while as they adjust according to age, they vary in price but I don't think they have to be as much as £100.

I hate this kind of predicament too!

Gizmo2206 Sun 13-Dec-15 23:09:20

At the risk of her sounding really spoiled (I suppose she is really blush) her grandparents have decided to buy her a cosy coupe to keep at their house (because we live in a flat so sadly have no garden) Loving the outdoor plaything suggestion but currently not feasible.

I am wondering if one of those lovely teepees is a silly gift for a baby. Just want something lovely that she will like and play with for years to come, because realistically now she will be excited about the wrapping paper!

Gizmo2206 Sun 13-Dec-15 23:10:23

Or maybe a Ewan the Dream Sheep as they look really cute, but is 8 months too old for that? I'm a terrible parent. I have no idea what she would like!

BarbarianMum Sun 13-Dec-15 23:11:51

OK what about a toy buggy? Never known a toddler who didn't love them.

SavoyCabbage Sun 13-Dec-15 23:14:06

I think a teepee is a great idea. We had a play tent and not only did dd love it and play with it a lot, but I threw all her toys in there when she was in bed and the place looked much tidier! Bonus.

TheWanderingUterus Sun 13-Dec-15 23:15:16

I think a teepee is a lovely idea. We lived in a flat and had a tent thing up most of the time as DD loved it so much. She used it in different ways as she grew, for relaxing, hiding, imaginative play, reading. When it broke we bought another and my DS loved it just as much. We still have one for the garden as well as the wooden playhouse and DD is ten now. She still dragged it out to sit in it over the summer.

SantanaLopez Sun 13-Dec-15 23:15:39

How kind.

A collection of books to be kept for her when she is older?

Hero1callylost Sun 13-Dec-15 23:17:49

8 months is a really hard age to choose a gift, you're not a terrible parent!

I agree a smart trike would be a really good gift that will last you the next 2 yrs or so.

What about a toy like duplo or brio? Could easily spend that much on getting a good amount for creative building.

Or a doll house?

Tipi is a great idea, you can drape fairy lights and add a couple of cushions - makes a nice little book nook to encourage reading.

Or a play kitchen? IKEA wooden one is fab, costs about £85 with the extra microwave/shelf bit. Will keep her busy for a few years!

weeonion Sun 13-Dec-15 23:18:42

I think a tepee is a good idea as well. I made one for dd1 when she was about 18 mths and she still uses it now she's 8. Mine folded up when not in use and we could have it outside in summer.

If not that - what about a collapsable/ pop up house and tunnel?

Impatientwino Sun 13-Dec-15 23:19:49

Play kitchen! We have a lovely wooden one from jojo maman Bebe - think it was about £80 so you could get some play food/pots/pans to go with it as well.

Salmiak Sun 13-Dec-15 23:20:07

A really nice toy kitchen. My dc are now 5 and 2 and both still play with ours. It's the kind of toy they will play with for years to come

munchkinmaster Sun 13-Dec-15 23:23:37

Pram £55; doll £35.

Obviously could get a doll and a buggy for £15 but you did say to spend £100 ......

munchkinmaster Sun 13-Dec-15 23:24:25

Mother care wooden kitchen on offer at the moment too

Selinemaratima Sun 13-Dec-15 23:31:29

Definitely the ikea play kitchen, she will love it! You can buy loads of toy food, wooden Velcro sliceable stuff is a fave at ours. She will have endless fun bringing you plates of lunch and cups of tea, mine are 5&3 and both still love a good "let's play cafes" session 😀

Thatsbetter Sun 13-Dec-15 23:34:38

Win green playhouse.
It can be enjoyed now and for years to come.

Gizmo2206 Sun 13-Dec-15 23:36:56

munchkinmaster I really like that pram. DD has a limb difference and the hospital suggested something to help her learn to balance herself whilst walking (not too different to all babies I suppose). But it would need to be fairly sturdy! For the same reason I am not sure that she would get as much use out of a trike sad but trying not to limit my expectation iyswim!

Themodernuriahheep Sun 13-Dec-15 23:36:57

Noah's ark. Brilliant fun, it can sort if act as a dolls house, the animals get played with eg in a circus.

And a tipi.

And a play kitchen

And one of those wonderful toys that you can pull and push and squeak.

And some bath toys.

And a book that makes noises and has different fabrics.

Ellypoo Sun 13-Dec-15 23:37:10

My 2.7 DD loves the teepee at her childminders -it's a lovely little den, and so will grow with your lo.
Smart trikes are also ok but a pain if you're having to walk on narrow pavements at all.

Domino777 Sun 13-Dec-15 23:38:36

Micro scooter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now