Talk

Advanced search

about christmas food shop?

(81 Posts)
Purplesky2 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:25:09

I have just done an online shop and without alcohol (going to lidl) it is £300. This includes a 7kg turkey and a ham. It's seems a lot. This is for Christmas Day and Boxing Day to feed 8 people for 3 meals both days. It is my first year hosting shock

Oysterbabe Sun 13-Dec-15 12:26:23

That does sound like a lot if it doesn't include booze.

SpottyTeacakes Sun 13-Dec-15 12:27:47

shock ouch! I've never hosted three meals for two days but that does seem a lot

cardibach Sun 13-Dec-15 12:30:10

I just did the maths. It's £6.25 per head per meal. £300 sounds huge, but divided up it doesn't sound so bad...

OurBlanche Sun 13-Dec-15 12:31:14

Well, that 6 x 8 = 48 meals or £6.26 per person, per meal plus all the leftovers.

Ask them to bring the alcohol!

Purplesky2 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:32:16

If had been organised I could have saved money by making pudding and cake. So they are on the order too. As are pickles etc. I'll suck it up as Ive been busy. Cokes and soft drinks are in it too.

Andro Sun 13-Dec-15 12:34:16

That doesn't sound excessive, yes you could do it for less but you haven't gone really ott.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:38:00

A lot of it will get thrown away as well <bitter>

Why not pare it down? your not a restaurant. Xmas veg like carrots and sprouts are uber cheap in lidl next week.

OurBlanche Sun 13-Dec-15 12:48:16

Thrown away? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The best part of such profligate food shopping moments is working out how not to waste a single minced morsel smile

KitKat1985 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:51:19

That does sound like an awful lot to me. Actually it's more than my entire budget for Christmas (presents, food, cards etc). What are you cooking for those 2 days? Is it excessive? For me personally for example if you are cooking a big Christmas dinner on Christmas day then breakfast and supper could be pretty light surely? Also don't a lot of people make their boxing day food out of leftovers from Christmas day? Post-Christmas day bubble and squeak is the food of the gods.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:52:40

I spent £200 on food 5 years ago, lots went to waste & I vowed never to host christmas again. I was really upset.

VaJayJay Sun 13-Dec-15 12:54:44

Could you ask one family to bring the soft drinks and another to bring the puddings etc

RebeccaCloud9 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:56:12

You should have done the whole thing in Lidl!

ClashCityRocker Sun 13-Dec-15 13:02:43

I suspect the horse has bolted now. However:

We don't tend to buy anything in for Boxing Day - There's always plenty left over from Christmas Day, it seems insane to cook another big meal. Maybe a ham, but that's it.

You may have got a wee bit carried away - I know I've done it before - and I suspect you will find you've over catered. It's easy done though.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 13-Dec-15 13:02:48

If food is being wasted are you buying too much? Cooking too much? Serving too much? I would let people serve themselves so hopefully they only put what they are going to eat on their plates. Any leftovers can be reheated in the next couple of days.

We also don't have a formal evening meal on Christmas day. The main meal can usually take several hours for all the courses, with games and chat in between.

There are leftovers and nibbles if anyone wants anything in the evening.

Boxing day is mostly leftovers too, perhaps supplemented by fresh sides eg chips and salad with leftover roast meat.

Any leftover meat and veg can be reheated or made into pie etc on the 27th and there won't be much left then but meat can be frozen. No need for anything to be wasted

HackerFucker22 Sun 13-Dec-15 13:03:25

Surely 3 meals a day is too much???

Breakfast can just be toast / cereals / pastries for both days and surely you aren't doing an Xmas day lunch and dinner? It should just be one main meal on Christmas day?

Boxing day should be leftovers or bung some pizzas and garlic bread in the ovenm

ClashCityRocker Sun 13-Dec-15 13:07:19

Is it eight adults, btw?

Tbf, I think my Xmas food shop comes to about £150 for four adults but this includes alcohol and Christmas Eve food - and will probably feed us on the 27th too.

StellaAlpina Sun 13-Dec-15 13:10:05

Ouch expensive.

Are you buying ready made stuff...i.e. already fancyed up vegetables? Rather than a packet of carrots and parsnips to fancy up yourself.

We're hosting this year too, but have asked people to bring stuff to split cost and effort (ie PILS are bringing desert, my parents are bringing a giant macaroni cheese)

We're off to do our christmas food shop this afternoon too as soon as we finish watching strictly on catch up and get dressed

AdoraBell Sun 13-Dec-15 13:11:30

It does sound like a lot of food but I don't know if your guests have large appetites.

I would make sure there is room in the freezer to guard against wasting a lot of food. Also, I would have a loose meal plan for using up leftovers just in case.

DinosaursRoar Sun 13-Dec-15 13:16:27

When you put it at "£6.25 per person per meal including soft drinks" it doesn't sound excessive. Particularly if the turkey has set you back £60/70 just on it's own. Catering for 8 people for a few days is expensive!

We've got 6 of us on Christmas day (including 2 DCs), 8 on boxing day, and would assume including drinks we'll spend around £200-£250. And yes, it'll all get eaten, I know who's coming!

Can you ask anyone coming to bring something? soft drinks or puddings or a cheese board?

I do think people who've never hosted, always gone to their parents/PIL don't get how expensive it is.

pocketsaviour Sun 13-Dec-15 13:18:22

That does sound a lot. I did similar amounts in 2012 and I don't think we went over £150 inc the turkey and pudding. (Not including alcohol but most of us didn't drink much anyway.) We did buy the turkey at a local farm shop though and I think that kept the price down. The supermarkets seem to want extortionate prices on meat and poultry at this time of year.

We had cereal for breakfast on Xmas day, nibbles through the day, big turkey dinner around 4pm. Boxing day was cereal/crumpets/croissants for brekkie, turkey sandwiches for lunch, and a turkey curry for tea.

pocketsaviour Sun 13-Dec-15 13:20:43

If you've included soft drinks such as cola, are they branded? Go to Lidl/Aldi and get their own versions! I doubt anyone will know the difference and a 2ltr bottle of Lidl cola is like 30p as opposed to £2 for Pepsi...

whatdoIget Sun 13-Dec-15 13:25:57

I think £6.25 pp sounds a lot! Might be just me though because I don't buy meat.

MusicalFanjo Sun 13-Dec-15 13:27:44

^ Go to Lidl/Aldi and get their own versions! I doubt anyone will know the difference^

You can't not tell the difference between coca cola and the cheap 20p cola they taste nothing like each other grin

DinosaursRoar Sun 13-Dec-15 13:28:16

oh and in my experience, it's not the main christmas dinner where your money is going, look at all the other foods you've added. For example, it's not uncommon to have added after dinner mints, christmas biscuits, lebkuchen, mince pie, crisps, 2/3 types of nuts, twiglets, quality street etc... really, you only need one sweet snack and one savory, and if you have all that, noone will miss christmas cake... You will have food gifts over christmas and people will bring food gifts with them, which are more likely to be of the snacky variety.

soft drinks, how many options are you offering? Christmas day I'm offering wine, water or squash with the meal, coffee or tea otherwise. Boxing day my BIL is coming who loves diet coke so I'm buying in pack of cans for him, but that's it. DH will pick up some beer as well for others on boxing day.

We tend to do a buffet in the evening on Christmas day, but from experience, cheese board, cold cocktail sausages, ham sandwiches and cherry tomatoes and grapes get eaten. Stuff poeple can pick at and enough that you can make something for a toddler who didn't massively overeat at lunchtime (just because I pile up the DCs plates doesn't mean they will eat any more than at a normal lunchtime!). Then we have cake of some sort. Salad, other buffet things, don't get eaten. Or if they do, it's out of politeness as it's there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now