Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to go to a funeral while pg?

(100 Posts)
DimlowChips Sun 13-Dec-15 11:24:31

A dear friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago, and the funeral is in the next few days. My grandmother has found out about this and has, not had a go at me exactly, but put her feelings across very strongly that I shouldn't be going. She says that it is irresponsible of a pregnant woman to go to a funeral.

I'm 38 weeks, and have not had any complications in my pregnancy. The crematorium is the otherwise of the main road to the hospital I plan to give birth in so I'm taking notes and bags, just in case!

Is there something I'm missing here? Should I really not be going because of the stress? I'm going to be upset wether I'm there or at home as I know it's going on. Now I'm feeling confused as she clearly believes this is the right advice and intends no malice confused

pretend Sun 13-Dec-15 11:27:00

Does she cross herself at black cats and greet magpies?

It's just superstitious old-people nonsense.

SelfRaisingFlour Sun 13-Dec-15 11:27:03

Of course you can go. Your grandmother is being ridiculous.

Eastpoint Sun 13-Dec-15 11:27:26

I went to a funeral at around the same stage of pregnancy. Nothing happened and no one said anything to me.

Annarose2014 Sun 13-Dec-15 11:27:51

That is one of the more batshit things I've ever heard about pregnancy, sorry!

I mean it's not like you're ill!

Oysterbabe Sun 13-Dec-15 11:28:16

I don't understand why you wouldn't?

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sun 13-Dec-15 11:28:39

It would never occur to me not to go. Yanbu.

Sorry for your loss thanks

SummerNights1986 Sun 13-Dec-15 11:29:01

It's probably a generational thing and I would ignore it.

Women didn't used to go to funerals full stop and not that long ago. Probably recent enough for your gran to remember. I've never read anything about pregnant women - but again, it's probably a 'not the done thing' feeling from your nan rather than anything else.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 13-Dec-15 11:29:10

Is it because of superstition or is she worried you ll get upset?
Your friend died, it's a big deal isn't it? Go and say bye properly

Good luck with pregnancy!

iwantgin Sun 13-Dec-15 11:29:11

What?

Ofcourse you should go.

Sorry for your loss. flowers

Thaisa Sun 13-Dec-15 11:32:08

I was 37 or 38 weeks pregnant when my grannie died. There was no way on earth that I was going to miss going to her funeral, even though there was a fair amount of travelling involved.

Nobody raised any objections and, believe me, mine isn't a family in which people keep quiet if they don't agree with something. grin

I have honestly never heard of anyone having a problem with this before.

neddle Sun 13-Dec-15 11:32:21

Maybe she thinks it's direspectful as you're carrying a new life? Kind of, not ironic, can't quite articulate it, but upsetting for others to look at you with the opposite of dying iyswim?

madaboutmadmen Sun 13-Dec-15 11:33:34

No not at all. I went to a freezing chapel, in the middle of the countryside, in November and stood around the grave too. I hadn't even met the person but they were a close relative of somebody that I do know. I wasn't as far along as you but really, why on earth should it stop you?!

rageagainsttheBIL Sun 13-Dec-15 11:33:56

So what happens if, say, a parent of a pregnant women dies? My mum's dad died about 3 weeks before I was born...

Utter tosh.

notquitehuman Sun 13-Dec-15 11:33:57

What? I've got a really superstitious gran but never heard this one. I think it's comforting when you're dealing with a death to know that life goes on.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope it all goes ok.

Floralnomad Sun 13-Dec-15 11:34:44

What a load of rubbish , my neighbour ( at the time) was killed in a road crash just before Christmas and I went to the funeral which was Christmas Eve when I was 38 weeks , it would have been totally wrong to not attend .

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 13-Dec-15 11:35:13

My grandmother died when I was pg with dc1. There was no way I wasn't going to that funeral.

In a way I think it was helpful to my mum that there was this new life to focus on. Felt like a positive thing. And it gave random relatives an easy subject for small talk.

Maryz Sun 13-Dec-15 11:36:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotMyMonkey Sun 13-Dec-15 11:37:51

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't. In fact, I think it would be wrong not to go to the funeral of a dear friend.

SpangleDragon Sun 13-Dec-15 11:38:34

I went to my friends funeral, same age as me, suicide, i was 6 months or so, i wanted to go to and say goodbye, no one said it was wrong, and i didnt feel it was wrong

treaclesoda Sun 13-Dec-15 11:40:02

I'd guess it's a generational thing. I remember an elderly relative insisting OT was a disgrace that one of my sister's attended a wedding when she was 8 months pregnant. confused

Dumbledoresgirl Sun 13-Dec-15 11:40:24

Not quite the same thing, but my grandma died when my 2 eldest were 22 months and 4 months old. I took them to the funeral (no choice) and they were actually a huge comfort to the bereaved. A sign that life goes on. Your bump will be the same, I should think.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 13-Dec-15 11:41:45

You should go. I think you'll regret it in the future if you don't.

CoodleMoodle Sun 13-Dec-15 11:43:03

My cousin died when I was about 36wks. There was no way I was missing his funeral.

My grandad died when I was 38wks. I wanted to go to the funeral but in the end I was in hospital with DD. I still regret it but there wasn't anything I could do.

Sorry for your loss OP.

CandlesAreBurning Sun 13-Dec-15 11:46:21

Sorry for your loss OP, of course you should go and say goodbye, you'll regret it if you don't go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now