Talk

Advanced search

to expect not to have old lady wrinkles and teenager spots on the same face FFS!!!

(15 Posts)
Crabbitface Sun 13-Dec-15 10:15:15

I'm in my late thirties and have recently started getting acne spots again! What's that all about - doesn't seem very fair!

ShatnersBassoon Sun 13-Dec-15 10:18:05

I'm the same. It isn't fair. I can deal with only one age-related skin issue at a time sad

Euphemia Sun 13-Dec-15 11:00:49

I've had this all through my 40s - worse spots than I got in my teens!

Crabbitface Sun 13-Dec-15 11:03:18

It's really rubbish - did you find anything to help?

ThroughThinkandThing Sun 13-Dec-15 11:04:15

I remember as a teenager being under the happy delusion that spots would stop at my 18th birthday... Got that one wrong!

And yes, quite agree - one age related thing at a time please.

yorkshapudding Sun 13-Dec-15 11:17:38

I've been there, it's horrible but there are things that can help. What worked for me was oral antibiotics (there are antib's specifically indicated for acne) prescribed by the GP. I had to take them for six months for the acne to go completely but I started to notice a difference after about 8 weeks. If your acne is bad enough that it's beginning to cause scarring then your GP should refer you to a dermatologist. Also the advice I was given by a dermatologist is avoid over washing your face, it dries your skin so it then overcompensates by producing excess oil which causes spots. Avoid using harsh scrubs or face washes, the ones marketed for acne prone skin are often too harsh and cause irritation which makes the acne worse. You know that tingling feeling you get after you wash your face with something like Clearasil face wash or a nice face mask? People think that tingling means it's working but that feeling actually means that what you're using is too harsh for your skin. For acne prone skin you want something gentle, the 'Simple' brand stuff or Boots own Sensitive Skin range are a safe bet. Simple do a nice moisturiser for blemish prone skin too. I use Micellar water instead of make up remover as I find that was also making it worse. Also make sure you change your pillow cases regularly and if you have long hair sleep with it tied back.

Moopsboopsmum Sun 13-Dec-15 11:20:08

Look up Korean skincare online. It is the best.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 13-Dec-15 11:23:31

Stratum C is all I can say to that awesome stuff!

Crabbitface Sun 13-Dec-15 12:05:55

Thanks people- i'll do some research tonight. I've got fair skin that is prone to scarring anyway so this is a right pain! Also nice to know I'm not the only geriatric checking out the clearasil for myself and not a teenage daughter!

TeaFathers Sun 13-Dec-15 12:37:27

YANBU.
40 years from now i can see myself with advanced dementia and some poor nurse will still be squeezing my big yellow and green spots for me.

VenusRising Sun 13-Dec-15 12:47:44

I've begun to get spots around my jawline (where my peri menopausal beard is sprouting!) GP says they're hormonal?
So I use snail gel moisturiser from dr organic so and its cleared them up beautifully. It's from Holland and Barrett.
It's excellent for my wrinkles as well, and I use micellar water to clean off make up, then rinse in warm water.

Have stopped using soaps, and use a mild cleanser gel only in the morning.

Sharingnicely Sun 13-Dec-15 15:43:22

I have this. I use l'oreal miracle oil. The teenage acne remedies don't seem to work but this one does ... For now.

Youknowitmakessense Sun 13-Dec-15 16:37:52

I'm 39. My spots have been much worse this past year than teenage ones. Mainly on chin, but also sometimes on rest of t zone.

I'm a bit of a Sali Hughes fan and so a week ago following her recommendation on The Guardian I bit the bullet and bought a Tria Blue Light (RRP £220). I risked an ebay purchase and got it for £100.

It's only been a week but a huge difference already. Existing spots are healing much faster, they are less swollen and tender from one session. No new breakouts at all since.

It is early days, but so far the treated areas feel different, less sensitive and inflamed.

x2boys Sun 13-Dec-15 17:30:07

yeah i,m the same i never really got spots as a teenager apart from under my chin still getting them there and i,m 42 i also have grey hair!fconfused

acneresearch2015 Fri 18-Dec-15 10:33:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now