Talk

Advanced search

to think there should be an immediate BAN for anyone who posts spoilers on a thread

(63 Posts)
Maryz Sun 13-Dec-15 09:28:02

And I don't mean a spoiler about what happened in EE last week, but a spoiler about programmes that haven't yet been aired.

This week there is a deliberate spoiler about the result on the Strictly thread, and someone has posted the winner on the Apprentice thread - that won't be aired for two weeks.

I mean, why would you do that?

Arfarfanarf Sun 13-Dec-15 09:32:42

I dont know why they would choose to spoil it for those who care about waiting, but i can tell you what sort of person they are.
They google the plot of a film and read the synopsis before watching it and they read the last chapter of a book first so they know how it ends.
Thats me in case im being too subtle grin
I wouldnt spoil it for others cos i know most people like to wait and its really meanspirited to take that away from them but i understand people who want to just cut out the crap and skip right to the 'whodunit'

ArmyDad Sun 13-Dec-15 09:33:56

It's only TV

Maryz Sun 13-Dec-15 09:34:32

But that's fine.

I often read the last page of a book because I have no self-control.

And dd always googles who goes out in Strictly as soon as it comes out; that's her choice.

But to ruin it for those who don't want to is just mean. And ignorant angry

Maryz Sun 13-Dec-15 09:35:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DonkeyOaty Sun 13-Dec-15 09:36:25

How mean
Rotters

BondJayneBond Sun 13-Dec-15 09:37:51

YANBU times about a million.

I am also angry about the Apprentice thread - clicked on Threads I'm On, and there it is at the top "Spoiler! XXX will win" (or something like that. I'm not looking again to check exact wording).

FFS. What's even the point in putting "spoiler" if it's impossible to avoid seeing the spoilery information?

Why can't people start a new thread instead and title it something like "Massive spoiler thread about The Apprentice / Strictly / whatever, don't open this thread unless you want to know who wins before it airs"

ArmyDad Sun 13-Dec-15 09:40:01

So who is going to win strictly x factor apprentice in the jungle in ice then?

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Dec-15 09:40:30

Theres always one isn't there? Will these people explode if they don't post what they know on MN? angry

Arfarfanarf Sun 13-Dec-15 09:40:36

It is. I agree. I dont know why they do it but i can speculate.
I guess it's about feeling 'clever'. That they know something you dont, have an inside scoop.

I dont actually think thry think haha i am goingvto tell you this ending thats going to be aired next month because i know its going to rob you of the pleasure of watching your bit of telly grin
I think it really is just look at me i have this Important Information. Aint i clever grin

Or maybe they think like army dad - its only tv, who cares. And dont realise that there are people who actually do.

Maryz Sun 13-Dec-15 09:40:41

Yes, start a "spoiler" thread if you want to (like they do on Digital Spy).

It's bad enough to say "Spoiler here: [link]" because then I have to exert self-control blush, but to put it in such a way it's impossible not to read is just nasty.

I hope The Apprentice one is wrong, just because I don't want to know who wins yet.

Maryz Sun 13-Dec-15 09:42:39

I don't know, ArmyDad.

When I watch it (sounds interesting, btw), I will tell you. After the final, obvs hmm.

It may be (actually it is) a first world problem. But would you really go up to someone reading a book on the train and say "don't bother with that, the heroine dies in the end"?

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Dec-15 09:43:29

ArmyDad I'm a Celebrity finished last week and Dancing on Ice has been axed. The other 3 nobody wants to know the results until the shows are aired.

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 13-Dec-15 09:44:54

I always read the spoiler thread for strictly every week
I wouldn't dream of posting it on the strictly thread

DoomGloomAndKaboom Sun 13-Dec-15 09:45:12

BANISH THEM TO NETMUMS

Posting spoilers deliberately is the work of smug wankers. "See how clever I am with my inside info, only available to the super smart speshul few of us with access to the internet." Well done, dear, here is a new website of people who will think you all popular and sexy.

www.sod.off.com

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 13-Dec-15 09:45:48

Sorry grammar in my post is shit
Hungover brain post Xmas work do

ChippyMinton Sun 13-Dec-15 09:48:00

YANBU
I went to the taping of Apprentice - You're Fired a couple of weeks ago, and they expect the audience to keep the result secret. IMO it's more fun to be smug and tap the side of your nose in an "I know something you don't" fashion than to spill the beans.

Dipankrispaneven Sun 13-Dec-15 09:50:07

To be fair, I'm not entirely sure that either of those is a spoiler. The reasons why it's unlikely for The Apprentice one are explained on the thread. For the Strictly one, it didn't particularly look as if the poster concerned necessarily had time to find and read the spoiler thread, and she could have been teasing.

But if it turns out that they really are spoilers then I agree, unless they have a pretty good explanation they should. at the very least, be suspended till the relevant series is over.

AnyoneButSanta Sun 13-Dec-15 09:50:44

To be fair the Strictly one was a very limited spoiler. It ruled out one extremely implausible possibility and that's all. I don't know whether it was someone genuinely clueless or a deliberate troublemaker.

However I agree that it's extremely bad form to spoil, or drop hints. Something like the Strictly spoiler should be dealt with on a two strikes and you're out basis but I think if the Apprentice was a straight "X wins" spoiler with no mitigating factor then yes it's a banning offence for ruining many other people's enjoyment. In addition although it's not a violation of the rules, it's still bad manners to post actual spoiler links because it makes Maryz unhappy for no net benefit to anybody else.

Dipankrispaneven Sun 13-Dec-15 09:52:03

Sparklingbrook, something tells me ArmyDad was joking and that that was a made-up programme title.

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Dec-15 09:52:57

Hilarious. confused

Maryz Sun 13-Dec-15 09:54:09

I hope you are right - but with the Apprentice one it does give away one of the finalists, even if it doesn't give the actual winner.

In relation to Strictly, we all know there is a spoiler thread on DS. Either we choose to look at it (in which case, keep schtum), or we don't look at it, in which case it's really irritating to see things like "the spoiler thread is up; what a shock" or "I think you'll all be happy winkwink" or even "I've just had a look at the spoiler" - why refer to it at all, why not just wait for the programme to air when everyone can talk about it?

Maryz Sun 13-Dec-15 09:55:12

And yy to the ban on doing things that make Maryz unhappy <snogs Santa>

grin

HackerFucker22 Sun 13-Dec-15 09:57:56

Someone spoilt the end of Breaking Bad for me, although to be fair I'm still only on series 3 and with 2 young kiddies so fuck all spare time I will probably never finish it!!

Samcro Sun 13-Dec-15 09:58:50

you are so not BU
I was lucky I only saw someone comment about it on the strictly thread, didn't see the spoiler and have now hidden the thread, you have got to be some kind of shithead to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now