Talk

Advanced search

To not dress my child as an elf?!

(37 Posts)
Wizadora1 Sat 12-Dec-15 23:06:23

Be gentle it's my first album.
So today I took my ds (8 months) along to a baby sensory Christmas party. I'm not normally one for chain things but I thought it's Christmas, I will make an effort.
I bought a new outfit for him, dungarees and a long sleeve top. I thought it was practical to play in, I was clearly wrong.
Every other child was dressed as a bloody elf or santa! I've checked the confirmation email, fancy dress was not specified.
Is there some unwritten festive rule that says elf attire is required, therefore making me a terrible mother or are there other apparent scrooges out there?
I love Christmas and everything that goes with it but it genuinely didn't occur to me that I should dress him up!

Salmotrutta Sat 12-Dec-15 23:09:49

YANBU.

What is a "baby sensory" Christmas Party grin

We didn't have "baby sensory" stuff when mine were babies.

We just talked to them and let them grab handfuls of things.

They turned out okay.

WorraLiberty Sat 12-Dec-15 23:10:48

Yes you're a terrible mother (obviously)

Do let us know when your album comes out.

Birdsgottafly Sat 12-Dec-15 23:11:48

It's pretty standard, where I am to dress up in 'fancy dress' to go to Christmas parties.

If your not keen, then that's fine, also.

BackforGood Sat 12-Dec-15 23:11:59

No YANBU. I too would like to know what a baby sensory party is grin

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sat 12-Dec-15 23:12:23

No don't worry about it your make up for the expense when they start preschool right through to juniors as every other frigging week it's some kind of dress up day.

DS lived in his snowman onies thing from October to February because it was only thing I could find suitable whilst carrying him in a sling other than that I didn't bother

ExitPursuedByABear Sat 12-Dec-15 23:13:32

He won't remember.

Wizadora1 Sat 12-Dec-15 23:13:41

I meant it's my first aibu!

Baby sensory is one of these new fangled chain type things, they use lights and bubbles to 'stimulate baby' (the leaders words not mine)
He wasn't remotely interested in what she was doing, far too busy attempting to crawl and eat things.
You didn't miss out, I doubt he's missing anything not going regularly. He's quite happy playing at home and fighting me for the dogs toys.

SavoyCabbage Sat 12-Dec-15 23:14:31

I don't know what baby sensory is but the Christmas my do was a baby she got a Santa babygro and I put it on her loads. Get the benefit as my granny would gave said!

Having said that I don't think I would have noticed what the other babies were wearing.

WorraLiberty Sat 12-Dec-15 23:14:57

fgrin

Wizadora1 Sat 12-Dec-15 23:16:14

I tried so hard to not do a typo!
I blame the wine, first week in his own bed so I'm making the most of my new found freedom.

PaintedTshirt Sat 12-Dec-15 23:16:32

There is lots of dressing up for Baby Sensory classes.

It's fun, kids can wear dungarees any time but you only have a very limited window to dress your child as an elf fwink

Krampus Sat 12-Dec-15 23:17:59

To Not Dress my Child as an Elf would be a great first album title. I want it.

Some do, some don't, it is all ok.

Janeymoo50 Sat 12-Dec-15 23:21:20

Sweetheart.......just you enjoy your first Christmas, especially now he's in his bed. You did good going.

BertrandRussell Sat 12-Dec-15 23:23:18

What's the point of having a baby if you don't dress it up as things? Get in there while you can- they'll be self determining and objecting before you know it!

Essexgirlupnorth Sat 12-Dec-15 23:25:36

When I did baby sensor dressing up your baby was very much encouraged. Though still bitter than I didn't win a prize for the cowgirl dress up as make a waistcoat and hat for my daughter and the person that won bought a woody for toy story outfit. Took my daughter to a toddler class Christmas party and she refused to wear her Christmas jumper. Easier when they are babies!

Wizadora1 Sat 12-Dec-15 23:28:46

Many points to me having a baby that don't involve dressing him up...
I don't feel too bad though, I am now considering releasing an album rather than returning to work. It's a shame the voice let's me down.

DustyCropHopper Sat 12-Dec-15 23:30:39

Of course you were not being unreasonable to not dress your little one up, but neither were the other parents who did. I didn't dress mine as elves or such but they did have a Christmas romper they wore to all Christmas events!

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 12-Dec-15 23:30:43

I have always put a bit of tinsel in my dds hair band for things like this but not when they were babies.

SirChenjin Sat 12-Dec-15 23:32:40

I'm a fellow loather of all things dress up, so I'm with you OP. It's nothing but a money making scam by the retailers.

CwtchMeQuick Sat 12-Dec-15 23:34:04

YANBU to not dress your child as an elf.
Mine was a christmas pudding for his baby sensory party a few years ago grin

maizieD Sat 12-Dec-15 23:35:15

I don't understand why some of you didn't just settle for having a doll, rather than a baby. You can dress a doll any way you like and they never grow up to be awkward toddlers.

Kudos to the OP for not wasting money on an elf costume (albeit unconsciously wink )

Salmotrutta Sat 12-Dec-15 23:39:51

I had The Fear that if I dressed my kids up in stuff as babies (who had no say in the matter) then they would be traumatised.

I stand by that.

Imagine the photos... "And here's our Derek dressed as a Gnu"

Bobotybobjob Sat 12-Dec-15 23:41:38

I never dressed up my babies and never would have, I hate it so I'm with you

Euripidesralph Sun 13-Dec-15 00:45:29

I'm in complete agreement..... everyone was obsessed with ds1 being dressed up in a santa costume when he was a baby and I flat out refused it as personally I think it looks tacky and horrible

I was less than impressed when nursery happily presented me with a pic of him in a santa suit as a Christmas card that he had painted as well.... In fairness they didn't know my views on the bloody santa suit... but I had gone the metaphorical ten rounds with the mil at the time to refuse a bloody santa suit picture so it was bloody galling

Still obviously I made my feelings clear as noone has dared suggest such a thing with ds2 bwahaha

So you are definitely not being u

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now